Opinions please?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by SCV-Ref, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Ducks Keepers fly together. ;)

tomek75, ArgylleRef and Geko repped this.
  2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Not so. Most of the shadowing is done to obstruct views. Perfectly legal if onside.

3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Carefully edited out my "probably"?

I disagree with your empirical claim. In my experience,most shadowing is done to (a) irritate the keeper and (b) make it harder for him to get to the ball. (And perhaps (c) for no reason the player understands except that the coach told him to.) But I agree that attempting to block vision while in an onside position is legal so long as it does not also impede the movement of the GK. On a CK, that is virtually impossible, as the GK will be moving toward the ball so trying to block his ability to see the ball after it is kicked will generally impede his movement.

IASocFan repped this.
  4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Agreed. At middle school ages, there can be a huge discrepancy in size. I've seen coaches have a large player position themselves in front of the keeper and then have him pull out the moment the ball is kicked. I see nothing wrong with that.

It certainly won't be as effective as kids get older.

ArgylleRef repped this.
  5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Certainly wasn't my intent.
    I apologize if you took it that way.

dadman repped this.
  6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Maybe I'm just feeling cranky.

7. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Time to go ref a game then. o_O

dadman, DefRef, voiceoflg and 3 others repped this.
  8. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What I see happen most times is an attacking player marks up the keeper. The keeper then summons an assistant who's job is the start shoving the attacking player out of the way. Either that or the keeper the moment the ball is kicked shoves the defending player just enough to create space.

I hate to call a play dead for either offense and certainly hate to give a soft PK because someone is being an ass to the keeper, so I tend to stop play and speak to both if I see it happening to let them know I'm watching.

ArgylleRef repped this.
  9. ArgylleRef

ArgylleRef Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Lansing, KS
    The point of my conversation is so the keeper and his defender don't do something stupid and force a PK. And the attacker is on warning that I'm watching so when I call it against him, he has no excuse.

seattlebeach repped this.
  10. Hawkeyeref

Hawkeyeref Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Iowa
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, this is very helpful for something that I've struggled with for some time, when questioning whether the keeper has any special considerations in such cases.

dadman repped this.