Opinions on Austin FC joining MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by golers, Jan 14, 2019.

1. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Dave Greeley doesn’t like soccer and never attended a single game in Columbus. His job is to siphon money from the City of Austin and place it in PSV’s bank account. Every decision made by Austin FC ownership will have that philosophy in mind.
    Just watch...

catfish9 and stanger repped this.
  2. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Their badge is on point!

Jay34 repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Opinions?

Well, I have always wanted to visit Austin and now I have a reason to.
    Especially if the US National Team plays there in upcoming friendlies or official matches.

Unak78, Jay34 and IvanIV repped this.
  4. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Broccolli! Do you think they can make that shirt with some Hollandaise sauce on it? Cuz I really like Broccoli with Hollandaise sauce.

5. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I love the city of Austin. It's one of the best cities in Texas as far as I'm concerned. Definitely the most fun. So I will always be happy for them to get a club even if their owner is a creep. I can overlook this easily by recognizing the fact that many, if not most, of the owners in MLS are likely no different. I simply hope that they don't get burned by Precourt. There's still the possibility that he could back out entirely on the expansion if the Texas Senate nullifies his no-tax deal with the city and makes him pay taxes to the county...

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Such a rousing endorsement. :)

Unak78 repped this.
  7. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    And the University of Texas is one of the best universities in Texas. I've lost track - is the stadium deal definite?

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As definite as any stadium can be where a formal agreement hasn't been signed and the stadium still isn't under construction.

IvanIV and stanger repped this.
  9. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Texas Legislature already concluded. SB1771 never even made it to the senate floor.

10. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    What a ridiculous statement. The city entered into an official lease with PSV. The city voted and rezoned the land. Stop trying to cast your negativity as some sort of insight.

Jay34 and wingman2468 repped this.
  11. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Ignorance is bliss?

A contract was signed back in december.

Jay34 repped this.
  12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that the contract was signed, but I thought there was something else needed? SB1771 had a grandfather clause that exempted older projects from the law and I thought there was some doubt about PSV and Austin getting everything done by that date.

13. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    SB1771 is dead, it never made it to the senate floor before the end of the legislative session, so it doesnt matter anymore.

If you knew it was signed, what was the nature of this comment?

It terms of the contract, it was pretty much set in stone the moment MLS officially announced a franchise. Set further in stone when PSV decided to start his community benefits commitments earlier than the legally binding contract stipulated.

There were however mutually agreed upon back out clauses for both parties, which have come and gone. Pretty certain all contracts with the city have similar clauses and is standard to write them in.

Jay34 repped this.
  14. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    Also, rumblings out of City Hall have been that PSV are a pleasure to work with as they hire well (from a legal, planning, etc., standpoint). It doesn't hurt that there is a large contingent of soccer fans in at City Hall that are excited to be a part of this project.

Jay34 repped this.
  15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My quote was made prior to it dying, so.....

Again, there was something about the agreements that made SB1771 an issue for the stadium, but not all of the other instances of a city making property tax exempt without input from other taxing authorities. I thought that was related to the agreement, but could be wrong on that front.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC KC had signed agreements and started demolition for the Bannister Mall location, yet they don't play there now. So the status of the agreement doesn't necessarily ensure anything.

Chesco United repped this.
  17. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    The initial bill, if it was passed, would have applied retroactively to the Agreement, correct. At the time of your post, SB1771 no longer applied to the Austin FC stadium, and the legislative session was closed. I'll try to explain.

Currently under State tax exemption laws, municipal city land used for stadiums is tax exempt (like almost every other government owned property), and requires no input from other taxing entities on this status.

For a brief period SB1771 attempted to change this specific part of the law, and require other taxing entities sign off on tax exemption status of city owned land used for a stadium. Basically it would bring other taxing authorities to the negotiating table for any stadium project not already completed.

However, during the committee discussion, knowing it would apply retroactively to quite a few ongoing projects throughout the state of Texas, they changed the bill, and it would no longer apply to projects already under agreement. It no longer affected the Austin FC stadium. And of course, a vote on the bill never made it to the senate floor, either.

Jay34 and Yoshou repped this.
  18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I once heard comedian Dana Gould describe Austin as "a lovely town, surrounded by Texas."

Unak78 and Auriaprottu repped this.
  19. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018

20. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they give an actual number?

21. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Nothing Official yet. I have heard a few different numbers in the 9-13k range

22. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's easy to say things without needing to prove it. We have seen this particular FO playing loose with the facts before, wouldn't surprise me if the same was happening now.

We shall see.

23. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Just to be clear, we all want to see the numbers. But Its also easy to post a number without it being accurate. Give it an entire day, it has even been 12 hours.

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  24. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they can make the announcement they have to have the number, right?

Why announce something without the number? What is the thought process there?

25. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You are reaching. What are you going to say when Austin caps STH’s at 18k or they announce they are building capacity to 23k because of demand?

Jay34 and wingman2468 repped this.