Opening Rocky Mountain Cup finale, Rapis host FSL, Sat, 7PM

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by AlbertCamus, Aug 24, 2018.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the first attempt at spin from the FO. I particularly like the part about

because yes, the 2nd most lopsided year in the history of the series 92014 was a clean sweep by FSL) could easily have turned in our favor.

https://www.coloradorapids.com/post...ds-vs-real-salt-lake-takeaways-august-25-2018

2. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That article is pure rubbish. We lost the cup by 10 goals. Let that sink in. 10 goals.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9 goals (3-0, 2-2, 6-0)

RapidStorm, jayd8888 and fortcollins repped this.
  4. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had been thinking of our need to win by 4 on Saturday so yes 9 goals. Still so terrible.

5. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Not the best work by Alex McGeorge. Really, insulting. Too bad they don't have comments enabled or I would start a campaign for us all to post.

6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Parallels are amazing.

Unlike the rest of you I didn't leave early. We were a few mins late actually, missed 1st goal and red card happened when we were in the concourse. The second half was like a car wreck. I didn't enjoy it but I could not look away.

The player I blame most is Boetang. I don't know what he was thinking, it was a clear yellow card (2nd yellow) and probably a straight red. Why do that when you already have a yellow??? I realize the game was already 2-0 (and a man down) at that point. Maybe he just had enough, but if that is the case he should only get half pay.

Sports Yak and JasonMa repped this.
  7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That article is amazing.

8. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And NOT in a good way

fortcollins, JasonMa, Rod1916 and 2 others repped this.
  9. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The soccer equivalent of Bob Uecker’s line from Major League: “Just a bit outside...”

10. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "could just have easily turned in their favor"

[​IMG]

Sachsen, Sports Yak, fortcollins and 2 others repped this.
  11. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm sure he meant they could have hired a different coach and GM, and by golly, we might have won the thing.

12. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So, I just got the FB post from the Rapids about the article. Here is what they said:

"It's a new day, a new week and our next game will be in a new month.

Take a look at our takeaways from Saturday and then leave your constructive feedback as we begin to move forward." (Colorado Rapids Soccer Club, Facebook Post, 8/27/2018)​

I missed the constructive feedback part, but I also miss where I can click on the link to comment. Perhaps a few too many "non-constructive" comments came in?

The best I can muster is "the game could have turned had the Rapids not picked up 3 stupid red cards". The first game we were out-playing FSL until Timmy. The second game was a draw, so OK on the road. We were "only" down by 1 when Niki happened, so maybe we could think somehow we could have won? (bigger question is how many teams even get 3 red cards in a season, let alone a 3 game series).

AlbertCamus repped this.
  13. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot and "not sign a single NZ National Team player from the mighty Oceania group". ;)

Sports Yak repped this.
  14. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "On Sunday morning, fans of the Rapids will only see the drubbing at the hands of their biggest rival, but they should know that this three-legged series could just have easily turned in their favor."

That's a Rapids equivalent of the old joke of what Cumberland's halftime speech might have been against Georgia Tech in the 222-0 whipping in 1916: "Hey guys, just a couple, three, a dozen touchdowns and we're right back in this thing."

Stuart95 repped this.
  15. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Their ability to look reality in the eye and deny It made me think of Monty Pythons 'not dead' dead parrot.

16. mjoe

mjoe New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Going down to 9 men in the first half inevitably leads to getting kicked around, but what can be learned?
    1. From the first minutes, Jackson was complaining to the ref and getting talked to by him. Somebody got in his head and he acted out. Red card every time for that head butt. Perhaps the kid can learn from that mistake.
    2. Boatang is not talented enough to be on a real MLS team much less start. It was clear from the get go that he was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. After the first yellow, he HAD to be subbed. I was sure the first sub was to take him off, but no. Can Hudson learn from his mistake here?
    3. The minute McBean gave away the ball that led to the first goal Hudson had the sub preparing to replace him. Question: If it is now his way to immediately replace a forward who makes a mistake (he did the same thing in the last game in LA), why does he allow midfielders like Boatang and Martinez to make mistake after mistake without being subbed?
    4. When RSL got ahead, they kept possession and made the Rapids run themselves into the ground. It seems that Beckerman and Petke learned while here how to use the altitude to one's advantage. When will the current Rapids every learn to use the most pronounced home field advantage in the MLS against their opponents?
    5. And, connected to #4, can we finally learn the lesson that loading the front office and the team with second division Europeans isn't the answer? It is way passed time to get rid of the Brits of all denominations and turn our gaze to the south--to Mexico and Central and South America; to young players who are used to the heat and the pace. Por favor!!

rapidogordo repped this.
  17. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Thinking about it overnight I also wondered if at times Tim Howard might fall over if his feet hadn't been nailed to the ground?

18. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome, @mjoe , and thanks for your good input. A couple of thoughts:

2. I can't make up my mind about Boateng. At times, when he's playing in the middle, he looks pretty good (he was always awful on the wing). But he does some really dumb stuff, like both fouls against RSL, particularly the red.
    3. Wonder if this means Hudson has lost patience with McBean. It's one thing to have a forward that just doesn't produce, and another to have a forward who both doesn't produce and does cause problems.

19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice input, however you are a bit off on #4. RSL is the only MLS team we don't have an elevation advantage over, we are basically equal.

JasonMa repped this.
  20. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    You should submit your "constructive feedback". I'll admit I'm reduced to memes.
    "could just have easily turned in their favor."
    [​IMG]

21. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reduced? Are you trying to tell me something? :cautious:

:D

AlbertCamus repped this.
  22. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  23. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I didn't even bother with this match.

I checked the score on my phone and showed it to my wife who lamented, "why to they always have to suck!?!"

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated RMC stats. No changes to anything we care about:

Records

Overall (W-D-L) Real lead 19-11-13, 60 GF, 40 GA

Games in Colorado Rapids lead, 10-5-6, 25 GF, 24 GA

Games in Utah Real lead 13-6-3, 36 GF, 15 GA

Margin of Victory, Real 6 Rapids 0 : 6 Real, 2018-08-25

Margin of Victory, Rapids 2 Rapids 2 : 0 Real, 4 times; Rapids 3 : 1 Real 2015-07-11

Scoring, Career

Total Goals, combined 6 Plata, Saborio

Goals, Real 6 Plata, Saborio

Goals, Rapids 3 Casey, Cummings

Assists, combined 5 Plata

Assists, Real 5 Plata

Assists, Rapids 3 Cooke

Scoring, Single Season

Goals, Real 3 Cunningham (2006), Morales (2014), Kreilach (2018), Plata (2018)

Goals, Rapids 2 Ben Dayan (2005), Hernandez (2006), D.Brown (2013), Gatt (2017)

Penalty Kicks

2006 Game 1 Cunningham

2006 Game 3 Cunningham

2008 Game 1 C. Gomez

2010 Game 2 Saborio

2013 Game 3 Saborio

2014 Game 1 Morales

2017 Game 1 Movsisyan

2017 Game 2 Silva

2018 Game 1 Plata

2018 Game 2 McBean

Goalkeeping

GAA, Rapids 0.86 Coundoul (Minimum 5 apps)

GAA, Real 0.75 Rimando (Minimum 5 apps)

Shutouts, Rapids 3 Cannon, Pickens

Shutouts, Real 11 Rimando

Shutout minutes, consecutive, Real 331 2007 Game 2 through 2008 Game 1

Shutout minutes, consecutive, Rapids 438 2010 Game 2 through 2012 Game 3

Appearances

Appearances, combined 36 Beckerman (10 Rapids, 26 Real)

Appearances, Rapids 14 Cooke, Cummings, Mastroeni, Moor

Appearances, Real 30 Rimando

Starts, combined 35 Beckerman (10 Rapids, 25 Real)

Starts, Rapids 14 Mastroeni, Moor

Starts, Real 30 Rimando

Minutes, combined 3155 Beckerman (871 Rapids, 2284 Real)

Minutes, Rapids 1260 Moor

Minutes, Real 2645 Rimando

Appearing in RMC for both teams Ballouchy, Beckerman, Borchers, Cunningham, Gil, Harris, Kotschau, Mathis, Wingert

RMC Titles Won 11 Beckerman

RMC Titles Lost 6 Casey, Cummings, Mastroeni

Discipline

Ejections, Rapids 1 Boateng, Denton, Gordon, Howard, Jackson, Watts

Ejections, Real 1 Acosta, Russell, Olave, Harris, Sequera, Jaime, Maund, Cassar (HC)

Cautions, total 9 Beckerman (3 Rapids, 6 Real)

Cautions, Rapids 4 Burling, Freeman

Cautions, Real 6 Beckerman

Most cards, single game, combined 10 August 8, 2006 (6 Rapids, 4 Real; 8 yellow, 2 red)

Most cards, single game, Rapids 6 August 8, 2006 (5 yellow, 1 red)

Most cards, single game, Real 4 5 times (4 times 3 yellow 1 red, 1 time 4 yellow)

Most consecutive games with a card, Rapids 4 Burling

Most consecutive games with a card, Real 3 Espindola

AlbertCamus and SccrDon repped this.
  25. SUNDROP

SUNDROP Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Grand Junction,CO USA
    I think we just need to forget this debacle and focus on what's important: BEAT TULSA IN MEMPHIS !!!!!!! COMMERCE CITY USL IN 2019 !!!!

Paranoid Coyote and SccrDon repped this.