Open letter Sams Army/US supports

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by helpmenow, Jul 8, 2007.

1. helpmenow

helpmenow New Member

Feb 12, 2002
    san diego
    It is Time to get more organize and be a real group.
    The World Cup Qualification is coming up next.
    Plus there will be lots of friendly too.
    I have lots of Ideas but I need help.
    We need a group of people to do this, everyone who wants too help can
    Here are some of my Ideas
    1. Web site that we can all uses for picture, video, contacts, info tickets
    2. When there is a game in a city we need someone to run the show in that city and can do the leg work so people can meet(pub crawl, tailgate, post game hotel, march too the game etc.)
    3. When the games are in other countrys use the US embassy for games, because it will make it easier to get more Americans to the game who live in the area.
    4. Banners
    5. Song and chants that are easy to learn.
    6. If your not in the city get a group together and go to a bar.
    I am going to stop now because I want everyone Idea and how we can do things better,
    I will talk to anyone buy email, call them or if your in san diego meet with you.

2. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like your enthusiasim, but i am only 15 and cant join. I will when im older

3. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got back from the U-20's in Canada. If you look around the boards you will find what you are looking for

I met up with fellow supporters before and after matches and got together for the Copa Matches as well and this was set up on Bigsoccer boards The songs and chants are very easy to learn I was a newbie a week ago. Even though we was greatly outnumbered we was more organized and really showed other supporters what the USA was about

You can also go to www.sams-army.com as that's the website

4. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why didnt you stay for the knockout stages? Too much money?

5. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have that many vacation days plus it's hard to plan for something when you don't know what city or what day the match is going to be played. To stay for even one more match would have meant 2 more vacation days and another round trip from New York

6. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

o, i got you.

7. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the main thing Sams Army needs to organize are the sections. At recent matches, the ticket information for the game has come up on the site very late ( US Mexico in Phoenix ), or the section at the game has had a lot of trouble with security telling everyone to sit down in their assigned seats.

Everyone needs to do their part, and when there is a match in their city, the local supporters group needs to help out with pub information, hotel information, pregame tailgate information, and relay that to Mark Spacone.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping to help work on SA more over the next couple of months ...

9. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything we ever do in lifeis a work in progress so it's nice to see we can all agree to change/tweek and move forward with the hope of helping our national teams feel at home and making us fanatical fans feel at home and have access to support our teams as well. Patfan1, everytime I have gone through you for tickets and info you have come through with honesty and quickness. Thank you. Keep up the great work and I can't wait to see the improvements to help our boys in the next cycle. One thing I would beg US soccer to do is to advertise practices before game to the soccer communities in the area. I always seem to find out the times and places around Boston because they are always at Harvard and my wife played there. Please, let me know if I can help in anyway. I love this country and this team very much so I named my first son after a Us player. Go US!

10. jtran10

jtran10 New Member

May 8, 2006
    I'd love to get involved with organizing. I live in Burlington so we'll never have any games here, but I'd lend a hand to anything that needs being done. On another note, anyone have a ticket or two to Wednesday's game?

11. I<3jorgecampos

I<3jorgecampos New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Medellin
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys should wear blue instead of red.

12. helpmenow

helpmenow New Member

Feb 12, 2002
    san diego
    I want hear what every one has to say. Next sunday I will write my thougths. I know we have sams army but we can make it better for all of us. Nobody is to young, know Idea is to dumb.

13. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    It seems a daunting task to organize a group with members spread so far and wide.

I would think the Sam's Army site should remain one of the main places to go for information since so many people are aware of the site already including people who don't frequent Big Soccer. It would be nice if it was a little more up to date and at times easier to get information up on but I suppose it is a volunteer effort.

There are a couple Yahoo groups that I imagine will get active again as we move through the qualifiers. YankSA formerly Yanks in Germany that had tons of information in the run up to Germany was a good one.

It says that they are going to get the Merchandise section back up on the Sam's Army site that would be nice.

Would also be nice if at more venues the tickets were labeled as General Admission. Not sure how we would do this but it would seem US Soccer would have to play a role. Another thing that would be nice from US Soccer would be if they would include information about the nature of the Sam's Army section when they are selling tickets to it via their web site.

The forum here is obviously a great place to get info. Somebody that is local to a game just needs to step up and take the initiative to help plan things like pre and post game meet ups.

I think one of the most important things is to keep things as simple as possible. I am willing to help any way I can but I am unfortunately not full of ideas on how to get more organized.

To I<3jorgecampos the debate over red or blue or white has been done and over done here. Sam's Army has been wearing red for years and years. If we changed to white people would still wear their blue jerseys if we change to blue people will still wear their white jerseys. And after so many years even some people who don't stand with Sam's Army wear red.

A couple things that I'm sure are not going to change any time soon is that we will stand for 90 minutes and sing and chant and cheer and we will be wearing red.

14. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant wait to join! I will be at the 2014 world cup, but that is so far away, maybe 2010.

15. BMGSouthCity

BMGSouthCity New Member

May 29, 2006
    St. Louis
    Does anyone know who runs the Sam's Army website? This year I've noticed that information has been slow to appear, and important things like pub crawl/tailgate info has not appeared at all. Seems like they could use someone to put the details together and post them quickly.

16. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    Mark Spacone. I'm not sure who else is involved patfan1 might be able to help there.

17. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you run your thoughts through a spell checker after you write them down?

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually it's another Mark ... but I believe there is a plan to have someone helping with the site soon.

19. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shut up! Nothing better to do?

20. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    It's unfortunate when someone has ideas but their message gets "garbled" because of poor grammar or spelling. Everyone makes spelling errors and this isn't BigSpelling.com, but when someone that has probably spent considerable time conceiving important information to not spend the time to convey it well, the impact of the message is lost. This is disappointing.

21. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly what I was trying to say.

:)

22. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries. David will be able to post the message on here, and all you grammar nuts can go crazy and help him correct any little mistakes.

23. ajvf97

ajvf97 Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is SA even present at the WNT games? I'm asking because I've actually never been to a WNT game and I've been to plenty of men's games and stood with SA. Would the web site post ticket info. for WNT games? I never seem to see that info whenever I check. I'm just wondering if SA ever comes out to support the USWNT.

24. BMGSouthCity

BMGSouthCity New Member

May 29, 2006
    St. Louis
    I don't have any web programming skills, but I'd love to help with some of the on-the-ground stuff. Contacting supporters groups, relaying information, researching hotels/flights, organizing pub crawls, etc.

25. FatCasual

FatCasual New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Rose City
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    IMHO there is need for something else beside sams army to represent this great country.
    I am ready to make CREW of Ultras kind supporters .

Cheers

P.S.

Go LOW