Open Cup issues

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by Parrothead FC, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So last year, 9 USL PDL teams participated in the USOC. I can't seem to find any information about how they were selected, but I assume there's some kind of qualification procedure based on overall league standing or some such.

If that's the case, I guess the earliest we could participate in the USOC would be 2013, and then only if we met the requirements to get one of the USL PDL spots. Unless, of course, we entered USL Pro in 2013 (I know, I know) and got in that way.

Anyone have any info on how the USL PDL teams are selected for Open Cup participation?

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Lamar_Hunt_U.S._Open_Cup_qualification_(PDL)#Format

3. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. If that page was linked to from the main USOC page, I missed it.

4. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Wikipedia:

So if this year's qualification follows the same format, the first four games of the season will be particularly important. That would be exciting.

5. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If thecup.us's tweet happens, the qualifying could be really different this year.

The 'first four regular season games count as qualifiers' format has been used in the USL for as long as I can remember. I just tried to find some verification, but wasn't able to. But I'm pretty sure that's they way it's been done since the PDL joined the Open Cup in '95.

As for next season, though, I did a spot check on this year and few PDL teams finished four games by May 15. So it will be interesting to see how the Cup gets arranged next year. It's not only the PDL teams that will be different -- the USASA usually doesn't have all their regional representatives decided before Memorial Day weekend either.

Basically, yeah the Aztex could get into this year's Open Cup. But we won't know until the USSF or the USL tells us how the qualification will be done.

Now that I think about it, your first suspicion might be right. They could avoid a qualification process altogether, and just take this year's division winners (9 of them) or this year's Conference finalists (8 of those).

6. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    I don't really think thats the best way to go in PDL. Talent on teams can vary GREATLY from one year to the next. Look at Portland U23's. In 2010 they had a perfect season, in 2011.. they were a .500 team. The consistency just really isn't always there from year to year. Does US Soccer really want a team that could potentially be 0-16-0 in the Open Cup? We really won't know anything until the fixtures come out in late January/early February (usually). maybe there will be a return of the qualifying groups that were used in the A-League/D3 league in 2001 or something like that.

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With college players coming in, the first four games are not an ideal measure either. Probably better than 'previous year' though. You do have a point.

We'll know in just a few short months.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine they will change it. Its been the first 4 matches forever.

Its really the best way for PDL clubs, for reason y'all have mentioned.

9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the USSF does indeed change the first round start date to May 15, the USL will be forced to change it because most PDL teams won't have time to get four games in before that date.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't they simply change it to 3 games? Still too soon ?

11. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    The NCAA doesn't even release its players for summer competition until the end of April. have to get qualifying games in before May 15 would be almost impossible unless they held a one site weekend tourney. Even then its a little dodgy.

I think the May 15th date is the real problem.. 2 weeks later wouldn't be bad, and they could also space the first 3 rounds out a little more instead of playing them on consecutive Tuesdays maybe put a couple of weeks between the games. Then again, MLS won't like that because its set up for the non MLS teams to be at a huge disadvantaged in the 3rd round.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most PDL teams don't get their college guys in time for qualifiers. That's always been an issue.

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only checked one team's schedule from this season (one of the NW teams), and they had only played two games. My memory is that this is pretty typical. But, hey, let's just use two games. And figure out some tiebreakers.