Open Cup Final

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by burning247, Aug 8, 2002.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I haven't really looked, so forgive me, but where is the U.S. Open Cup Final this year? thanx

2. NICDT Coach

NICDT Coach Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Cd'A, Idaho
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, first we need to see who will be playing the game.;)

Right now we have the Semi's of:

Galaxy Vs. Burn in Fullerton, CA

and

Crew Vs. KC/Milwaukee the venue is TBA, but I'm thinking it will be in Columbus.

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    oh see I thought they use to randomly pick somewhere, that would explain some of the weird places the final has been before. Well the only one that comes to mind was when the Burn won it in 1997 :))) and we played DC in like Indiannapolis or soemthing. so its all about the teams now huh? well tell me this, how do they determine who hostes between 2 teams playing?

4. NICDT Coach

NICDT Coach Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Cd'A, Idaho
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would assume that a team would have to put together some kind of bid to host the final, but ya know, we are dealing with US Soccer and MLS, so they may just give it to whomever they choose. As of right now I would venture to say that if C-bus makes the final they will host regardless. If KC makes the final then I would think the winner of LA/Dallas would host, not that I'm discounting Milwaukee's chances. Actually I think it would be pretty cool if the Rampage made the final and were able to host, that is unless they play on turf.

5. morenolsen

morenolsen New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    That always seemed random to me. DC United (back in the day when we played in the Open Cup) would play A-L teams both at home and the road, which always made me think it was a coin flip (or something similar).

Somebody correct me if you can...I hate not knowing for sure.

6. InWoodbridge

InWoodbridge Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that US Soccer offers the higher team seeded team the option of hosting the game. For example, two years ago when DCU played the Battery they chose not to host and not pay the RFK 50K rental.

7. morenolsen

morenolsen New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Thanks for the info...and welcome to the board

8. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my take on it. They tried to pick a neutral site for it. For a couple years. That's why one year the final was played in Columbus, between Rochester and Colorado.

But the poor attendance of a match like that one made it so they've changed to having one team host it. Not really fair. But I guess it's better to have it not be as bad a money loser for a few years.

Hopefully one day it'll mean enough that they can go back to a neutral site approach.

9. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The final was in Columbus because they thought Columbus would beat Rochester in the semis and get a huge home game.

The Crew vs. KC/Rampage venue is based on the result of the KC game this week. If the Rampage win, they host the game, while the Crew will host the game if KC wins.

10. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget about the one year they tried to have the Cup final at a neutral site (Virginia Beach, right?) only to have a hurricane come through and wash out two days in a row. With no other option, they had one of the two teams host the final (Chicago), who won it.

11. InWoodbridge

InWoodbridge Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the MLS news letter they stated that the KC or Milwaukee will host the game.

FYI: According to David Litterer of the US Soccer History Archive (http://www.sover.net/~spectrum/usopen.html), there has been a USOC for the Woman’s game for the past 5 years. The WUSA has not participated, I am glad that the MLS does and hope that the WUSA re-thinks this for next year.

12. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should've hosted that game in Indy (grumble grumble), since that would've nicely split the distance between Chicago and Columbus.

13. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    http://www.mlsnet.com/content/02/weekly0820.html

Scroll down a bit, Columbus will host the game if KC wins.

14. InWoodbridge

InWoodbridge Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, this was a different report that I had read ... it did not make sense to have KC host when the Crew faithful will show up ;-)

15. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Oh yeah, that makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

KC doesn't play USOC matches at Arrowhead, by the way.

16. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Ah yes. Plus from what someone who is in with the team has said, let us know that if the Wizards pull off the win vs. the Crew, then the final will be in KC. If the Crew win, I'm not sure what happens, won't crew stadium be accounting for football in Oct.?

17. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    So if the Burn win and put out the Galaxy, then the winner of KC vs. Crew will either host, or be hosted.

Hmm. The Cotton Bowl for a USOC final...sounds good. I cannot tell if the Burn is the higher seeded team or not. If they did it by how the teams were sitting in MLS at the time, Burn was higher than either.

How cool would a nice KC vs. Burn final be, with their fans coming down to Texas.

18. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would another 250 fans show up like for the quarterfinal match?

19. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'd go. So make that 251.

20. jabraria@hotmail.com

Feb 24, 2000
    USA
    any idea yet as to dates for television times for games, etc.

21. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just like that great turn out in San Diego back in the day right? What team do you have?

22. stopper

stopper Member

Nov 17, 2000
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Who else thinks the semis and the final should be home and home?

23. Kermmy803

Kermmy803 Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Denton County, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who else thinks the semis and the final should be home and home?

<Raises Hand!!!!>

24. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    No series ever should be home and home only

25. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.

BTW, read something this morning (sorry, can't remember where) that the final will be in LA if KC beat Cowlumbus....at Hunt Stadium if the Cowtown make the final.

(not too sure about LA playing another final in Cowlumbus....mmm....do I wanna fly out there again?) :(