Open Cup Final Speculation, Coverage, and Attendance Catch All

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by ImissTHEheat, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Fox Soccer has the broadcast rights to the Final on September 2nd at 7:30 PM. The match up of DC and Seattle is intriguing and its nice to have the defending champs back in the title game. DC will host at RFK, and the Sounders faithful say that they will attempt to travel with numbers. So...

What is RFK's max capacity in a soccer set up?

How many tickets will be made available for the game/ what do you think the attendance will be?

Do you expect Seattle to travel with strong numbers as they say they want to?

Think this is a potential preview of MLS cup?

Have I provided too much to discuss?

Discuss.

2. carella211

carella211 Member

Apr 6, 2009
    2-0-6!
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    :cool:

3. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My eyes hurt.

4. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game last year was fairly entertaining and I expect this year to be no different. Attendance wasn't great and I don't imagine RFK will be packed, but the numbers should increase given United's success this season as compared to last and a higher quality opponent. It should be fun.

5. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    well it would be good time for them to finally start traveling at all instead of posting pics of watching aways in a bar in Seattle :D

6. carella211

carella211 Member

Apr 6, 2009
    2-0-6!
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    however many decide to make the journey, i guarantee it'll be quadruple the number of united fans that would have come out here if the match was in seattle.

nah, let me correct myself. it'll be 100-1 ratio.

7. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given a number of factors -- the large amount of time leading up to the match to sell which will help both promotion/ticket sales and traveling support), the matchup itself of 2 important MLS clubs, the back in forth in the papers from the teams' owners, etc -- I think this will sell extremely well for an USOC final. I'm guessing something like 14-15,000.

Certainly, though, it won't be anywhere near capacity (or requiring the upper deck to open).

8. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the fact that the opponent was a non MLS club, and DC stunk up the joint for much of last season was as much to do with the poor attendance as anything.

I'd look for more folks who want to A: See an improved DC team repeat as cup champs, and B: Get a look at this pretty interesting Seattle MLS team. Plus, if they show up in the numbers they are talking, Seattle's supporters should make their team proud.

I'm still stunned that the Seattle ownership thought that the USSF would be okay with their finals hosting proposal of the game being played in Seattle at 1pm.

So, for the rest of the country, the game happens at noon on a Tuesday, and for the biggest, most lucrative TV markets in the nation, the game would happen at 10am!?

That pacific northwest medicinal stuff they're smoking must be really good...

9. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm beginning to wonder where the really good stuff is ... dude, go learn how time zones work.

That said, the Seattle bid was still dumb even when factoring in the correct times that game would be played at.

10. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well since US Soccer gifted United this Final and took away potentialy 30k fans, and leading up to this FINAL , do you think the United organization will invest a little more time/money in advertising it ? I see they done that for a friendly meaningless game vs Real Madrid so why not this.

- are the tickets on sale ?, if not why not
    - will they be advertising before every MLS game, Nat game, TV, Radio etc,will the streets of DC be filled with posters advertising it, ..if not why not

11. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC

The ongoing idea that somehow USSF turned down a superior bid in order to put it at RFK cracks me up. There are no facts to back that up. Just a lot of sour grapes whining because of disappointment with the outcome.

Sort of like the birthers....