Open Cup Final in Oklahoma?

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by The Truth Commission, Aug 27, 2002.

1. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Not trying to jinx my Crew, but what if Kansas City and Dallas win their respective semi-finals. For the Open Cup final match, KC would draw 2,000 if held at home, and Dallas would draw 1,100 again. Thus, with Tulsa, Oklahoma being ~250 miles from both KC and Dallas, and a potential huge crowd, would US Soccer consider holding the game there?

2. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    The answer to that is a resounding NO. The desicion has already been made if the Wizards win their game in Columbus then it would be held in KC.

Moving it to a town that is 4 hours in either direction won't help attendence one bit. A championship game is not the place to test the waters.

3. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Damn. I've been hoping for the final to be in Dallas.

4. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown

Well excuse me. Just thought it might be an idea, and given past Open Cup finals (Indianapolis, Virginia experiment), I figured the precedent has been set. If it's KC-Dallas, you can't get much more "neutral" than Tulsa, and I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to see how those folks respond to soccer as I thought the town was being considered for expansion.

5. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    If you want to test the waters for a MLS expansion than hold a freindly there during the preason.

6. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    if you put out a publication in Dallas this time we'd draw a huge crowd. But first we need to make the finals.

7. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown

They should have done that with Kansas City in '95, then...

Crew 2-0 WIZ

8. Poose

Poose New Member

Mar 17, 2001
    Hold a championship game in one of the participants home stadium??? Holy Crap!!! What a concept!!!

9. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Great Post Truth Commission

Nice one Truth Commission. Kansas City is a COWTOWN! If it weren't for Lamar, KC would not have a damn team. Wiz games at home are lame with absolutely no atmosphere (unless you love looking at empty seats).

I don't know about expansion for Tulsa, but i would bet that Tulsa would outdraw KC for a soccer game anyday. Tulsa truely loved its old NASL team and KC only loves the Chiefs. Royals suck and the Wizards attendance is aweful. Nobody cares in that hole call the city of fountains.

I've said it before on other BigSoccer boards...KC's team needs to transfer to a city that gives a crap. Move the Wiz to Houston (great soccer facility at Robertson Stadium and really draws crowds for Mexican League games), San Diego or Portland (both cities love Soccer and have great grass roots interest). And after the team moves, get rid of that gay name and the rainbow.

Face it, KC has BBQ, the Chiefs, BBQ and oh yes . . . BBQ. That's IT!