Onyewu: Metz - une sélection luxembourgeoise (?) [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dheck, Sep 5, 2002.

1. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    Someone who speaks French should translate:

From the Metz website:

"Euroligue
    Le FC Metz a débuté sa saison d'euroligue de la meilleure des manières en s'imposant 6-0 face à une sélection luxembourgeoise.
    Les buts : Onyewu, Bocandé (2), Amri, Gueye, Djiba."

Obviously Onyewu scored a goal in a lopsided victory here. I'm guessing a friendly, possibly against a club from Luxembourg or maybe even Luxembourg's national team?

I have no idea if this was Metz's reserve team or what. I guess it must have been? In any case, good to see Oguchi playing and scoring.

I'm just a font of information!

Important related note: Metz is playing at Le Mans in league play as I type, but Onyewu is not on the field or the bench.

2. Zealot

Zealot New Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Translation:
    "FC Metz began its "euroligue" season in the best of ways by defeating a Luxembourg XI 6-0. The goals: Onyewu, Bocande..."

Don't know what is meant by "euroligue"- I've only seen the term in a basketball context (a hoops equivalent of the UEFA Champions League)...

3. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    By the way, if anyone is interested in hearing live audio of the Le Mans-Metz match. it is one click away. In French, of course.

Ticker here, too.

4. bata

bata Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Nashvegas
    Metz is a city of 150K give or take. Luxembourg is a country of 400K, give or take. With all the Luxembourg football talent playing outside of the country (yes, there is even a Luxembourg player with Kaiserslautern in the German 1BL), one would hope that Metz beats a Luxembourg club side handily!

Interesting fact: The word Luxembourg is mentioned all of seven times by Kicker (online) in 2002. The word USA, by contrast, has been mentioned 16 times in the last month.