Only for austin soccer fans please

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by tallpauluk/usa, Oct 29, 2010.

1. tallpauluk/usa

tallpauluk/usa New Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Austin TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok over the last few days we have seen a lot of talk about starting a supporters/ community lead team. Right lets take it one step at a time first off we need to gauge the level of interest in this. Who would be up for it is a start then if we have a good response take it to the next stage. Which would be getting together and holding a meeting to discuss in more detail what level of commitment is needed.

Right now what league the team would be in is not required it is all about if we can get it off the ground. So think about take your time it might be good idea who knows.

2. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
  3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    If there is a reasonable possibility of creating a stable team in a stable league, I would buy shares or otherwise contribute. It needn't be D2 or D3 to hold my interest. If it's likely to be fly-by-night or inherently unstable, then I'd probably pass.

4. Darius Tor

Darius Tor New Member

May 7, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second what dspence231 said.

5. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am not from Austin, but I have become a fan... I would buy some shares to help the cause.

6. LeeKyoto

LeeKyoto New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    I don't want to be without a soccer team for any amount of time in Austin, and I definitely don't want the possibility of a team moving away again. it seems like the fans doing it themselves is pretty good way of making sure of both these things.

I am definitely in.

7. willyaddy

willyaddy New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Austin
    Interesting idea, here is a good reference http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk/

I have said before that I wouldn't support another team because of the Lonestars (too Political) and then the Aztex (shafted the fans) but I think that this type of thing could work.

This group started with 65.00 buy ins. If the Aztex really cared about Austin they might open their books so that we could see what we are up against.

8. Maza1987

Maza1987 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I was an original shareholder in myfootballclub^^.

9. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    You guys should try to make an NASL team. We are short in teams and a rivalry with San Antonio would be great for you.

10. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was also an original shareholder through to the purchase of Ebbsfleet United. I did not renew my membership, however, and I gather renewals have become a problem for myfootballclub.

I would encourage everyone to read this as it is a good cautionary tale if we intend to take something like this on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyFootballClub particularly as there is likely to be a rush of enthusiasm the first year but likely dropoff after that. I'm sure we'd all say that we want to create something sustainable for the long term (where have I heard THAT one?)

Why didn't I renew? Lots of reasons: Bored with it. Too far away/disconnected. Too expensive at the time. Devoted time/money to the Aztex.

11. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    FC United of Manchester may be a better model...

http://www.fc-utd.co.uk/home.php

12. Waterloo 11

Waterloo 11 Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. LeeKyoto

LeeKyoto New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    I agree. After reading through their website I was pretty impressed with the ideas they have. It is also pretty cool that they seem to be doing alright considering how many teams are already in the Manchester area.

I was also thinking there must be way to discuss this with a larger group of Austin soccer fans (like a meeting?) if anyone is genuinely serious about doing this. Especially seeing as we are only getting the input of a small number of people on this message board and we should see what the feelings of the number of hardcore fans the Aztex surely had. This probably will also require some of the people who want this having some real dedication and doing some homework so they are able to pitch serious options.

14. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    I have email addresses of 39 Founders Club members from 8/2009.

I also have a program from the 2008 season with the names of the original Founders Club members, but no contact information.

15. CJBinATX

CJBinATX New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is something I am interested in being part of.

Should we start up a discussion elsewhere like a Google Group? How long is Bigsoccer going to keep this forum around? I would hate to have this discussion get started then having it disappear.

16. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    CJ: That is something I've been worrying about, as well.

I've just registered austinphoenixsoccer.com. (note the spelling.. phoenix isn't spelled the way it sounds (OE, not EO))

I'll post a place-holder page there, soon, with a link to this forum. If this forum goes down, I will post info there on where we can continue the discussion.

17. CJBinATX

CJBinATX New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jumps right in:D

19. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Tonight, I sent the following message to the 39 Aztex Founders Club member email addresses that I have (We need to get the word out, beyond this message board. Please feel free to edit and pass-along to anyone else you know who may be interested.):

Fellow Aztex Founders Club members:

You have probably heard, by now, that the Austin Aztex have relocated to Orlando, Florida.

If you have not yet heard this news, you can find the story here:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/pro/aztex-leaving-austin-for-orlando-996136.html

Given this, and recent changes in the USSF rules governing lower-division professional soccer in the U.S., it appears unlikely that we will have professional soccer in Austin for (at least) the next few years. The United States Soccer Federation has set new, steep financial requirements for operating a Division 2 franchise in 2011 and beyond (which includes a majority owner worth more than $20 million, ownership of a soccer-specific stadium, and posting a $750,000 bond at the start of the season). At this point, it is uncertain whether or not Division 2 will even be in operation next year because there are so few teams in the U.S. that can currently meet these requirements. Division 3 (formerly known as USL-2, now USL-Pro) is the only other professional division below MLS, but it is a regional league, which does not currently operate in Texas.

Because of this, a number of Aztex fans (many of whom were Founders Club or Alliance members) are exploring the option of pooling our resources to form a community-owned team, to operate at the Division 4 level next season. We believe that with regional (intra-state) competition and a non-professional roster, it would be possible to keep operating costs low enough that a supporter-funded initiative could field a team at this level. Revenues generated during the season would be re-invested into the operation of the club the following year. This would allow us to continue to enjoy watching competitive soccer against teams from other cities, with the goal of building towards the future of re-establishing a professional soccer team in Austin (most likely at the Division 3 level, where our former rivals, such as the Rochester Rhinos, and Charleston Battery, will now be operating - assuming future expansion of Division 3 into our area of the U.S.).

Based on our estimates of operating costs at the Division 4 level, we believe that we could field a team for a 10 month season next year, in the new Southern Premier Soccer League, if we can find 240 individuals willing to put forward $290, each (the cost of last year's Aztex Alliance membership). People who participate would be true owners of the club, and would be able to steer the direction of the club through an election process. Operations would be handled by volunteer staff. Under a true fan-ownership model, we would be able to build a team for the long-term future, which would remain in Austin forever. This is a model that is used by many teams in Europe, including some of the oldest and most successful clubs.

No financial contribution is being requested from you at this time. At this stage, we are simply trying to determine if there are enough fans who have sufficient interest to fund this initiative. If so, funds would be collected at a later date, prior to beginning operations. If you would be interested in participating in this, by purchasing the equivalent of a season ticket package (but which gives you ownership in the club, for life), please let me know, and I will see that you are included in the organization of this club.

If sufficient interest does not exist in the community (specifically among former Aztex fans) to fund this, we will not be able to proceed, and funds will not be requested from you.

If you are interested in participating, please reply, so that we can include you going forward. This way, we will be able to inform you of developments and any public meetings.

Please feel free to forward this communication to anyone who you believe might be interested in participating.

More information:

Ongoing discussion of Aztex relocation, and a grass-roots initiative to field a fan-owned soccer team: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1287

List of fan-owned sports teams around the world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fan-owned_sports_teams

AFC Wimbledon, a team in the UK that is doing what we propose: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afc_wimbledon

Estimated costs/revenue of operating a team in the SPSL league: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...1VEdoQmZNSkh6Z2c&hl=en&authkey=CPG3lvEF#gid=0

USSF D2 requirements for 2011: http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2010/08/12/ussf-d-2-professional-league-standards/
    (Explains why D2 is not feasible for Austin, going forward, without a large investment from a new, wealthy owner.)

Provisional web site on this initiative: http://www.austinphoenixsoccer.com/

Thank you.

20. tallpauluk/usa

Aug 19, 2010
    Austin TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. tallpauluk/usa

Aug 19, 2010
    Austin TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you going to email this to alliance memebers as well i think scooter_ pete has the list of them.

22. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    I don't have that list.

Scooter Pete responded to my email (he was a recipient). I asked him to forward, or send a similar communication, to that list.

23. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Irrespective of backing any particular team or approach to getting a team, I hope that there can be some sort of web presence for supporters of a soccer team in Austin. That way we can keep connected and learn about support opportunities when they arise.

24. tallpauluk/usa

Aug 19, 2010
    Austin TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well you still got the chanticos army website and i am sure matt will keep that going if we talk to him about it and come on board

25. HinchaAztex

HinchaAztex Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Austin
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    While I think this idea is well intentioned I just don't see how you will be able to maintain a team under this idea. First off you already started off on the wrong foot by putting a name on the project. How/Why are you being allowed to name a alleged democratic team?!? Doesn't make sense. Secondly you are making the assumption that you can pull 500 people per game. That's a major assumption. The Aztex in their first year barely hit 500 game average. Thirdly, have you ever had any experience with semi pro teams? Remember the players aren't paid, they have no obligation to travel and most won't since I see a lot of college aged kids who would prefer to party in Austin then travel by van. I played for UT Cld Team, TTU Club Team, and Lubbock Indoor Semi Pro and one of our biggest challenges was putting together a committed travel team. It was impossible.

I am a lawyer, former professional player, and former soccer store owner so I will help as much as possible. However your budget if way off. You need to do the business plan for a worst case situation not best. 500 people a game is vest case. 100 maybe is probable.

Sergio