Ongoing Chivas USA Current News (Coaching Changes, Legal Issues etc...) Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by ImaPuppy, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wizards or Blitzz?

Allez RSL repped this.
  2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wizards is actually a pretty traditional American style sports name. "Wiz", however, was something else altogether.

fuzzx, JasonMa, Eric B and 1 other person repped this.
  3. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    Not anymore as we now have Wiz Khalifa

4. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    I don't know necessarily if is it a 'dumb" name but yes that team was not the Cosmos, Strikers or Rowdies in terms of popularity or legacy. Then again the worst name was Los Angeles Salsa. I don't know which is worse to be named after a food sauce or sounding like a subsidiary of a liqour brand or mexican soccer team.

5. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    Angel City sounds dumb just call them LA Angels FC and wait for the lawsuit from the baseball team. Now Anaheim Orange FC would be ok but not Orangemen, that harkens more to Syracuse than Holland.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    East LA FC!

It is seriously the best name for a second LA team that I've seen. But it'd have to be situated in a stadium that's east of downtown -- or at the very least, east of the 110.

7. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    There is a young version of Valderamma in the middle top row. ;) Awesome hair on the team

8. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think Angel City FC is the most original and creative so far:thumbsup::thumbsup:. LA Angels can't do anything. Angel is a common name, and part of the city name.

No one will confuse the Anaheim Orangemen with Syracuse;)

9. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Theme song.

10. HogHoopFan

HogHoopFan Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Fayettnam
    Holy crap I've been calling for that for awhile. There's gotta be an old baseball park somewhere out there that could be transformed into a unique Portlandesque stadium. Galaxy could be kind of a River Plate type team, whereas East LA could be something like Boca Juniors.

11. NERY CASTILLO MEX

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Los Tequileros De Los Angeles. Or Los Angeles Tequilas.
    Tequila is made in the state of Jalisco.Guadalajara is the capital of Jalisco.
    Tequila companies could sponsor the team etc.

Think of the Milwaukee 'BREWERS'

12. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    You do realize that SKC is attempting to be an actual sporting club?
    http://www.sportingkc.com/scn/members
    Make note of Kansas City Blues Rugby Club and Kansas City Gaelic Athletic Club.

13. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except Garber definitely said no to Chivas moving and I think the chances of 3 conferences is highly unlikely.

I'm pretty sure MLS is perfectly happy with status quo.

USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  15. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's more of a hypothetical/opinion piece as the writer is simple musing on what he'd like to see or what could happen. There's no concrete evidence of any of this, and he even points out that Beckham's contract had a clause for an expansion team, and to overlook that, it all hypothetical. This could had just as easily been written by some one here on BS.

Though I do admit I like his ideas for 3 conferences, and I don't say that often.

16. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    …and I want to believe that, I really do, but every time I hear it all I can think is he said the same thing about SJ. This uncertainty will dog them until they move to their own stadium.

17. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Pretty much OT, but do people in KC still use the Wiz nickname from time to time... as in, affectionately? I was reading the report on MLS Cup from the Austrian Press Agency and at one point they threw in "the Wiz" in quotation marks.

And for what it's worth, in the reader comments they were having a field day with the names Real Salt Like and Sporting KC. They seemed to think it was Euro-posing, and they would have found Kansas City Wizards considerably less amusing.

AndyMead repped this.
  18. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see merit in the 3 Conference alignment with giving more importance to the regular season, building rivals and controlling travel costs. I can envision a 30 game season with playing each team in your conference twice and the other two conference teams once rotating home and away games every other season. The 3o game Schedule would allow for more weekend games where the money is made. This would also allow for working with the FIFA schedule, US open cup and CCL.

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he say SJ was never moving? I remember them almost dying in 2001 before AEG stepped in. Even then they claimed it wasn't sustainable hence the move.
    Everything is a certainty until it's not. But Garber was pretty clear in that ESPN interview with Bay Area writer Jeff Carisle, that Chivas is not moving.

20. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly wonder if MLS will ever shorten the season again. They've only reduced the number of games in a season twice, and one of those times was essentially an austerity measure back when the league was on the brink of failing. They haven't cut games since 2007. At this point, it's pretty clear a majority of teams are making money on game day, so there's a real incentive not to reduce the number of home games.

As for the eternal Chivas issue, I like the fact that Garber is being forced to say anything at all. As they saying goes, the first step to solving a problem is admitting you have one.

------RM

21. trevor_daniles

Aug 19, 2007
    Garber said No to a relocation and No to contraction. Ok , but he never said that they wouldn't rebrand. Tahts what I think he alludes to when he says there is a plan. Rebrand the team. The team would remain in LA and Vegara would continue to be owner but it's be a new name of the team. I would be very happy with that.

Flex Buffchest and SoccerPrime repped this.
  22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't know why you people put any real meaning in Garber saying Chivas USA won't be moved. I can see no contraction. The league doesn't work that way these days: the team would be moved way, way before it was contracted. But when Garber says the team isn't moving, so what? First, it's not really his call. If the right offer came along, Vergara and the other MLS owners would move the team. And that right offer might very well come along. All Garber is really saying is that right now there are no plans to move the team, and nobody foresees moving the team. That's very likely true. Big deal.

Flex Buffchest and gremio1903 repped this.
  23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that we've made it through the 2013 season and surpassed 3500 posts, it's time to put this thread to bed.