Ongoing Chivas USA Current News (Coaching Changes, Legal Issues etc...) Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by ImaPuppy, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is this teams plans for next year anyhow? theres a lot of talk about getting a good evaluation of what the team had and... now what?

2. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    From what I've heard and read, I would say that right now they are planning to make plans for next year, and by next year, I mean in six weeks... at least that's the plan. Here's an idea: no player names on jerseys to increase program sales. Here's another: CALL BOB BRADLEY.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  4. pichichi2010

pichichi2010 Member+

Oct 24, 2010
    In your nets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will miss CUSA when that team gathering is disbanded...won't be the same picking on Toronto FC and DC United.

5. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder how Bocanegra and Kennedy are feeling right now.

6. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Palencia's black nail polish didn't help as a talisman after all......disappointing... or maybe it did since it landed him a job in guadalajara?

7. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Probably afraid of another pending law suite...;)

9. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, hopefully MLS can just pull Chivas USA completely down from the site.

10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they were ever folded, moved, etc... I'd expect that's how they'd go about it. No fanfare that the Chivas nightmare is over, just sweep it under the proverbial rug and move on.

Flex Buffchest repped this.
  11. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    men-in-black-iii-erases-tommy-lee-jones-from-our-timeline.jpg

This never happened.

fuzzx, athletics68, El Naranja and 3 others repped this.
  12. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems so true, so absolutely true. But, the NFL seems to be operating a very profitable enterprise with exactly zero teams in the LA area. Teams come and go from LA. I believe the only thing keeping Chivas USA in LA is the owner. I believe that MLS would like to keep a second team in LA, if it turns out a sale of the team happens but requires a move to another city that would otherwise be judged to meet MLS standards (St. Louis, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Atlanta, maybe even Sacramento) it would go through. I have to believe they'd rather have a franchise that was competitively operating in good faith in the league rather than one that is just taking up space but providing no added value. It is only good business to think that way. And, if nothing else, it does seem that MLS has been operating as a pretty sensible business for the last decade, more or less.

13. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For MLS's part in things I can see them being alright with the team moving out of LA under the circumstances you mention, if only while wishing the team could have stayed and possibly succeed in the LA metro market. Obviously if some owner comes in and buys the team with a plan that will make them the next Dynamo or something they won't mind too much.

what i have a hard time believing, despite MULTIPLE repeatings of the idea on various soccer website's comments sections, is that an owner would want to do that in the first place.

"Relocate and Rebrand!" they say, as if the name and city are the only problems.

"There are more deserving markets!" they say as if Chivas is somehow blocking another city from getting a team in time of encouraged expansion.

the idea of relocating this franchise is based on a new owner taking one look at the team in its current location and likely high selling price and going-

"Oh I'll buy this LA club for that high LA price, but why would I want it in LA? F#ck that noise! I'm taking it the hell out of the second largest market under most every measure and will instead be putting it in a new city rather than simply buying a new club there for probably a cheaper cost. I won't be bogged down by unnecessary costs as if this is my only way of owning a team in MLS, I once bought a private jet to get me from newark to queens, thats just how I roll!!"

Sure MLS might be fine with that, but theres really no large likelihood an owner would buy LA2 just to play them elsewhere. You buy a team in LA because you want a soccer team in LA. if somebody wanted a team in st.louis or something then they'll just buy a team in st.louis or something.

USvsIRELAND, BalanceUT and blacksun repped this.
  14. kombayn

kombayn Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The team has a lot of ties to the Orange County area with their youth soccer team. I can see them moving to the O.C. and re-branding the team. They need a re-branding and need to get rid of their stupid mexican-decent rule they want. It's just dumb especially for how our country is socially. I think Chivas USA re-branding to the Orange County Aztecs would make the most sense.

15. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, it does make a lot of sense relocating the team to the "OC", along with a rebrand. However the name "Aztecs" would be most unlikely because the brand is owned by Vergara's emeries at Club America. Sometime like "Athletico California" would be more likely.

16. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not a fan of any foreign language "spin" on the club name, or copying. No more United, Real or any other moniker that is obviously copying an international club. I give "XYZ" City FC a pass, since it is basically using the city name as its club name.

My Chivas re-name suggestions (since this is what this thread has devolved to)

Angel City FC (if they stay in LA county)
    Anaheim Orangemen (borrow the Denver Broncos color palette, you're good)

17. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't watch MLS Cup this year - Sporting v Real

BalanceUT and Allez RSL repped this.
  18. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3518 Flex Buffchest, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    With a headline like that, people from other countries might get confused. "How is Real Madrid playing Sporting Lisbon for the MLS Cup?" That's one of the main reasons why I dislike those style names for MLS. Oh, well.

Game of the copycats!

MUTINYFAN and 30King repped this.
  19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought Aztecs had been bought up by NASL?

20. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I know, I know:D

No.....
    Sporting Miami, Real Miami, Miami United, Athletico Miami
    Sporting Atlanta, Real Atlanta, Atlanta United, Athletico Atlanta

did I miss any overused names?:p

21. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose it's fun in this thread to speculate on moving the team to Orange County or rebranding it whatever name - I've even done that myself.
    But honestly I don't think anything at all is going to be done. I will be shocked if the team isn't still Chivas USA, playing in front of tiny crowds in Carson in 2014. All of the "someone has to do something" talk on BS is just talk.

USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  22. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree. Chivas has a few more years of ineptitude before anything is done. Over the next few seasons, though, I imagine the MLS brass will be having some closed door conversations with Vergara regarding the future of the franchise. All that we happily speculate about could very well be on the table; we just won't know until the end arrives.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

24. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what a message board is for. :)

25. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was tongue and cheek, I wasn't serious. Yes, I don't personally care for those names, but I didn't really think people would get confused. I thought my "Game of the copycats!" line showed that it was all in fun. Ha! I hope someone doesn't really ask if Real Madrid is playing for the MLS Cup.

fuzzx, 30King and JasonMa repped this.