One Stop Shopping: Welcome Mike Petke & Fire Mike Petke!

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Mar 29, 2017.

1. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate the EPL for the way that multiple teams they hire and sack coaches, once or twice in the same season (Bob Bradley, cough, cough). I think Petke should get at least two years to make things work. For this year, I would think a playoff appearance would be a good indicator of a turn-around given the way RSL started out the season.

For all you math/statistics geeks out there, right now, according to 538, given the start of the season, RSL is predicted to go 10-10-14 for 40 points and has a 31% chance of making the playoffs, a 5% chance of a first round bye, a <1% chance of winning the SS and a 3% chance of winning the MLS Cup. We can use that to measure whether things are better or worse with Petke.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/mls/

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stats are part of it, but I'd also like to watch soccer that doesn't make me cringe. This is where tactics and style of play come in. Remember, one of the defining reasons to keep Kreis (despite stats that weren't rosy) was that the idea was visible. You could see the good soccer and how it improved. Cassar said "defenders hit the ******** out of the ball to there. Offense run until you die, then get the ball, then put it in the net thingy"

SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  3. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I think that would mean Petke is "accessing" you, not the other way around.

You're a mess. Take a minute to get your head straight. ;)

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IT'S THE ACCENT MAN. I AM A SUCKER FOR AN ACCENT

acima and SALTLAKEJAKE repped this.
  5. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Just read an article about Petke in the DNews.
    Why is everyone so obsessed about how he dresses? Granted, it's a Brad Rock article, but I had to read 2 paragraphs about a ****ing pocket square.

HighNoon and Allez RSL repped this.
  6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That might be too high of a bar to set. Certainly, if he leads them to the playoffs he will have done a terrific job. In a different thread I recently stated that this season cannot be salvaged ( with reaching the playoffs being successful salvation). The team can miss the playoffs, yet be much better on the pitch and be considered to have been turned around.

7. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't consider the season unsalvageable yet. We are only four (ok five) games into the season, so I think that there is still a good chance of making the playoffs. However, if this had happened in June or July, instead of March, you would be correct in thinking that.

8. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, he's hot. Just throwing that out there.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I am just happy to see the team acknowledging that something isn't going well and that we aren't "really proud" of everything right now.

Allez RSL, DrownedElf, andyslc and 2 others repped this.
  9. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Finally something you and 15 to 32 agree on. :laugh:

stucknutah, 15 to 32 and TheBiff repped this.
  10. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also agree he's a straw-stealing corporate asshole. So there's that.

11. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to see improvement by the end of the season. I can give him some slack since he didn't get to bring in any players for whatever his vision is. I think we do have a playoff capable team, so we just need to implement the right formation and tactics to get the most out of everyone.

I will be fine missing out on the playoffs if we're at least trending upwards as the season goes on.

RSLer repped this.
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll have the summer window and all that money we used not signing a CB

13. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that money is going to be used to sign another winger. That is our most pressing need after all.

DrownedElf, The Franchise and 15 to 32 repped this.
  14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is late, but, "And now come the days of the Petke.....May they be blessed". I truly hope he has a long, successful and happy tenure at RSL.

El-ahrairah repped this.
  15. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    If he (or DLH lets him) get rid of a household name (Rimando, Beckerman, Yura) and shows a direction he is taking the team I'd give him more time. I'm not sure the owner would allow him to do that, so I guess finding a system that suits the players instead of the otherway around is how I'll judge him.

16. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone watch the Monarchs/T2 game? Monarchs looked good, like, better than RSL good. I get that it was a lower division and it could have been more "T2 just sucks" as opposed to "Monarchs are amazing" but that game was more entertaining to watch than any game RSL has played this season. That quote from Petke from the press conference.. "I think the team is just an animal waiting to be released from its cage" has me cautiously optimistic.

Ismitje, Todorojo and 15 to 32 repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of KB or Nicky will be gone next year. Maybe both. Their contracts both expire at the end of the season

rslfanboy, Todorojo and The Franchise repped this.
  18. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rimando still plays markedly better than the typical player at his position. It's hard to justify another deal as good as the current one, but he's still producing enough to get a short deal that pays a bit more than the average GK.

Beckerman hasn't been great this year, possibly from a nagging injury. Even if he gets back in form, I can't see any reason to offer more than a single year deal at around median pay. If he continues to struggle, then any conversation about future plans has to be about being an assistant coach. If he wants to spend a year or two somewhere else before hanging up his cleats, then we'll hold an office for him.

Allez RSL repped this.
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are my thoughts as well. We'll get to see how good of a GM Waibel is in terms of handling this kind of situation. The Javi one certainly didn't go well, by most accounts. I mean, not re-signing him was probably the right call. But sheesh, I really don't wanna see KB and Nicky having their own press conferences in SLC after the season ends.

TheBiff, Ismitje and The Franchise repped this.
  20. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we're betting on reversion to the mean now that we're on the wrong side of it. Sweet.

"Average is the new Ceiling" - I never got a sig request last year (or I missed it) - that'd be my submission.

21. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping for reversion to the mean, at least in my case. There's work to be done for even that. Like some sort of way to score goals.

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My sig request for you is don't ever change your signature. It's perfect.

23. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, there's usually not a ton of movement in the summer. I'll be excited if he can get a player or two, but I'm not really expecting it to happen and have that player make an immediate impact.

24. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Luck Petke! Your going to need it!

RSLer repped this.
  25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+