One Match at a Time: The Second Half Run-in Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by dcc134, Dec 31, 2018.

1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    City can have those matches in which they are passing the ball around and not creating a ton. Maybe Rashford or one of those speedy devils hits them on the counter, takes a 1-1?

You can see it happening, it's possible... you just probably wouldn't bet on it.

2. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I must be missing something? Have read and seen more than a few articles and posts about the “problems” for Liverpool fans in supporting United tonight. All very dramatic, overwrought and verging on the hysterical.

If United take points from City, it puts us in pole position. United winning or drawing is not somehow going to help them win the league this season (or next) and even if they take all the points on offer to them for the remainder of the season, they’ll still finish beneath us, pun intended.

A United draw or win is great news for Liverpool, I’m all for it. In the same way as I’ll be a Leicester fan and Burnley fan, etc. The enemy of my enemy is my friend as long as he remains my enemy’s enemy.

dcc134, burning247, Suss and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ole managed to beat PSG when nobody gave them a chance. They also managed to get a result against us at Old Trafford. They have the best goalkeeper in the world who got them countless results they had no business getting. All we are asking for is a draw.

Don’t concede in the first 5 minutes and let the pressure build on City.

zaqualung and EruditeHobo repped this.
  4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    well if Manu manage to play twice as well as they did vs Everton, they'd get beat about 8-0.

I never - ever- bet on any sports event, but if I did I'd bet on a huge win by City tonight.

5. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This reminds of 2014 when after we lost to Chelsea, Everton was our best shot of taking points off City. Everton were actually pretty good that season and had their chances in that game. After City won, we went to Palace with our only hope being to overturn City’s lead in goal difference which was something like 7 goals. That’s why even after going 3-0 up, we were still all out attacking.

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    time for a game thread .... anyone ..... ??

dcc134 repped this.
  7. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Does it bother City, fans that despite all their recent success, their biggest rivals can’t even be bothered if they win the league? In fact, they are openly rooting for them to do it, even if it means hoping that their own team loses. City supposedly hate Man United as much as we do, but United don’t even care enough about them to hate them back.

8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm pretty sure I don't give a flea's fart what City supporters feelings are. :)

Fussballer repped this.
  9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    what gets me is the media obsession over Manu "possibly doing LFC a favour" and completely ignoring the fact that the result will have a huge effect on Manure's chances of getting CL next year.

10. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Utd are due for a win as they need to keep pace with re-surging Arse & Chelski,

11. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't care if City wins the league because they are no threat to the "20" at this point. We are, and its their worst nightmare that we over take them again.

12. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Support your team United fans, you're not some matchmaker trying to decide which of two ugly people get to date someone hot, you need to rescue your season and not fall out the Champions League.

13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    hey - goddam plagiarist !! I said that before you!!

burning247 repped this.
  14. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

You could also see a 1-2 game with 20 minutes to go and Pogba pulls a real-Pogba moment and scores.
    This could be a bit of a game. We jusy don't know what united will show up. (Same goes for Leicester....)

EruditeHobo repped this.
  15. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I went over on the United board yesterday, and that lot are fixated with that, and not soo much caring about what it might mean to Liverpool.
    But I get the impression they are mostly yanks, who may be less parochially minded than the more indigenous northern englander type....

16. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    IT WAS ...
    BUT WE STILL NEED A LITTLE FINAL RECOVERY HELP ....

17. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did enough to have 4 more points at least -- midfield may have hurt a bit against United and Everton, but did enough to win Leicester and West Ham matches, and just about any other season the title is basically done right now.

18. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    All we can do is win our last three...if Citeh end up a point ahead of LFC on the final day, you’ve got to hand it to them...

EruditeHobo repped this.
  19. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  20. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I’m guessing we have about a 15% chance at this stage.

21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it's probably gone. All you can do is tip your cap! City are a hell of a squad and Pep's got them pretty much humming.

LFC have done amazingly well in the league (while getting lucky sometimes) and have MOSTLY kept their stumbles to cup competitions. City too have had slight stumbles here and/or there, but THIS was the window -- this Spurs-Palace-Spurs-Spurs-United sequence of fixtures -- that LFC needed City to stumble in the league. And they did have a little stumble, arguably 2 little stumbles?, but it happened in the CL. What can you do?

Burnley or Leicester MIGHT be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat, but you really, really wouldn't hold your breath for that would you? If it goes to the last matchday, you just can't see any way for City to not completely dominate and destroy BHA.

Been a crazy season... but Klopp's squad has been better each season now, season after season. Nothing else to do but take another crack next August.

Deleted Users repped this.
  22. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Well said but all in all, this is discouraging to say the least.

Suss and EruditeHobo repped this.
  23. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Burnley will have the same exact tactics as Manchester United, but they are more experienced in executing them. Hopefully they stopped cutting and watering the pitch a week ago.

Wingtips1 and newterp repped this.
  24. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it's tough. I didn't have them winning the league this year, so this has mostly been icing for me.

Amazing that if LFC prevent that City counter for their 2nd goal back in Jan it probably doesn't come to this... Insane, this game.

25. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After seeing the state of the what LFC was contending with in Cardiff, I'd damn well hope so.