One Man's Crusade to "Americanize" Soccer

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by porkrind, Mar 14, 2003.

1. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Yeah, and once they start serving those pies, leave it to some overweight Europhile twit to buy a new Quakes jersey personalized:

I

THE PIES

2. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Pet Peeve

Why do the MLS announcers talk about a 'restart' for a dead ball situation. I've played a lot of years in North America and it is one of kick-off, free kick or drop ball. Nothing else.

3. geordieboy

geordieboy BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 2, 2003
    Newcastle england
    soccer is the only sport which is truley a global sport, it is played in every nation. And soccer being a truley global sport has a global terminoligy, ie the british terms. Yeah the Germans have translations as do everyone who speaks a language other than english, but they are translations, not different words. I disagree with Sepp Blatter and that soccer dosent need america to suceed, its already the most successful sport on the planet, why change what the world knows and loves to suit 1 nation. There is just no point, yeah get the americans to like soccer but dont change the game for them, whats the point. Why dumb down soccer for them (which his proposals are going to do, i mean time outs and quarters, waste of time) and keep soccer the way it always has been, a game of 2 halfs, 45 minutes each way, a game wher you get 1 warning then you are off, a game where you gotta be fit, and a game which only has 3-5 changes per team per match.
    Americans realise, although every soccer fan would love to have soccer popular in america, as it will only help the game, soccer does not need america.

4. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's not what I meant. I want the game to stay the same, as far as the rules. Well, aside from some tweaking of the offsides rule (note the plural).

It's all about a particular culture adding it's signature to the game. I don't know about this other stuff you're listing, and it's not my concern.

5. geordieboy

geordieboy BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 2, 2003
    Newcastle england
    the offside rule dont need tweaked, it provides the entertainment to every neutral soccer fan, seeing man united aving a goal ruled out because of offside is truley magnifique

6. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL

Well... from the US, one crosses IN to Mexico; from Mexico, one crosses IN to the US. So, from the field of play, the ball crosses in to touch. From there it is thrown in to play.

One can be IN two different places, just not at the same time. Same thing with the ball.

7. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Because it's natural for societies, even when they technically speak the same language, to have their own unqiue vernacular. It's only human to do something like this. Just as we don't refer to the trunk in a car as "the boot", or coaches as "the guvenor" or things like that, we're going to end up using our own terminolgy for the game. If I'm talking to some Brit, I may say "kit". But if I'm talkign to my friends, it's a jersey. And the ball goes out of bounds when I'm talking with them, it's doesn't go into touch. It's the old you say potato, I say potato thing.

8. soupcan

soupcan New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Seattle
    Dont forget "derby"....

didnt we just have one in Kentucky?

9. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Um, you're wrong. Take Mexico and Spain for example. They both speak Spanish, yet use different soccer "terminoligy", i.e. penalti ("penalty" spelled phonetically) vs penal (literal translation).
    Just think of American terminologies as American translations of British terms. Like lift vs elevator, lorry vs truck, crisps vs chips.

You might have noticed that soccer is "truely" global, not British. There's really no reason to maintain its Britishness. The game is going to be the same no matter what terms you use.
    Hold on, guv'ner. We're just talking about Americans using American terminologies. Who's talking about changing the game? Well, exept you of course.

10. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    It's "potato", you ignorant slut.

11. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    I agree and disagree with all of you.
    Having your own terminology is cool with me.
    Just don't change the rules.
    Would everyone agree with me when I say that the beauty of the game is that every country has their own defined style of play?

The British fast pace and the long ball
    The Spanish Slower pace and technical skill
    The Italian defensive mastery
    The Brazilian Touch
    The German Strength
    The Argentinian Slyness
    The Dutch beautifull play

etc etc etc

Maybe the United States problem is that they have not defined their style of play yet....or maybe thats their style....having no style at all.

Just don't change the rules man!

12. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Foreign countries have different words for things? That's just being awkward.

13. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    But who's talking about changing the rules? Last I checked, people like Blatter, Havalange, Pele and Platini were adovacates of radical rule changes. Americans fans are fine with the game as it is.

14. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Re: One Man's Crusade to "Americanize" Soccer

It makes them go Australian?

15. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was "potatoe".

16. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Good. I'm glad they are.

17. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    that song's a lie. I say "toe-mate-o", you say "toe-mart-o", I'll agree with, but even though it rhymes, I can assure that nobody say "po-tart-o".

if you want to use your own words then do so - it's no big deal. There's no need to get all precious about it and debate which term is correct. There are very few terms discussed here for which both the "English" and "American" terms are used in England, it's just the English ones understandibly are more prevelant.

Cleats would be an exception. I'd never heard the word cleats until coming on here.

18. Zenitfan

Zenitfan Member

May 31, 2001
    Dayton, OH
    Americans using the British soccer terms is like a white guy trying to talk like he's black (like in that stupid Jamie Kennedy movie).

All you American anglophiles can do what you want, you just sound really retarded.

19. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It's not about what terms are "correct". I mean, can you argue that "knickers" are more correct than "panties"?

It's all about what one country uses versus another. So what? It does get aggravating when the Brit terms are used with a superior tone - as if the speaker who says "pitch" can actually play a better game on one.

Let's take it to the field and see.

20. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Sorry you guys..!
    Goodsport was close with his "developed in America" and Roush with Pro sport.
    BUT[/] in England and in all English speaking countries, (About half the world) there is a game called Netball..!!!
    Naismith saw a Netball 'match' and realized it was too hard for Americans because it didn't utilize a backboard. So he added one.

The Girls (That's right it's a GIRLS game) have to score without the backboard to bounce the ball off.

My daughter played for NZ.

Netball playing countries
    American Samoa, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Botswana, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Canada, Cayman Islands, China, Cook Islands, Dominica, England, Fiji, Ghana, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guyana, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Korea, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, New Zealand, Nigeria, Niue Island, Norfolk Islands, Northern Ireland, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Republic of Ireland, Samoa, Scotland, Seychelles, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, St Kitts Nevis, St Lucia, St Maarten, St Vincent/Grenadines, Swaziland, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Uganda, U.S.A., Vanuatu, Wales, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

21. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Only if your name is Dan Quail...!

After hearing the song and before I came to this fine country. I always thought Americans said "Po tart o" Because I know we never did.

Damn ! Hollywood lied....again.

22. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Re: Re: Re: Re: One Man's Crusade to "Americanize" Soccer

No Aussie would ever say "shrimp" unless doing an ad for US TV. It's a "prawn" mate.

(No Aussie would drink Foster's either)

23. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do you know what a stereotype is?

24. Luther_Gabriel

Luther_Gabriel New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    I hate the term "goalie".
    I also hate the term "bicycle kick".

There are surely lots of others that I hate, but these are terms that should never be used because they are stupid and do not even make sense.

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "Pitch" fits. American football's field of play is called a gridiron. Baseball's field of play is called a diamond. Tennis, basketball ...court. You get the picture.

The terminology's no big deal to me one way or the other. I use the terms you described here when I'm talking to soccer newbies or folks who are afraid of anything foreign, but here on BS, I'm likely to use the traditional terms.

I hope you don't want to extend the Americanization of the Game to those ugly-ass baseball-logo jerseys MLS has (actually, it's already been done). I do care about that. Kinda why I'm partial to DCUnited.