One Man's Crusade to "Americanize" Soccer

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by porkrind, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    hoy vey ... *sigh*

2. El_Maestro

El_Maestro Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Also how many balls a player steals and how many fouls he makes (hey, they can forget about the ref's cards, and send players off when they reach 6 fouls).

They can also divide the game in 4 quarters and stop the clock everytime ball possesion changes, so that the team that has the ball uses its "attacking team" and the other one its "defensive team". That could give time for more commercials as well.

They can also wear helmets and shoulder pads, you know, because American sports are so "manly". :D

3. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. And I know what you are going to say. However, the myth in the mind of the Yank sports fan is that all of these: baseball, gridiron football and basketball are home grown. Truly, they are not.
    BTW, cricket was the most popular sport in the US 200 years ago.

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several years ago one of the posters on this board had the quote from the Ivy League schools when they made the conscious decision to stop playing "soccer" and opted for the more "manly" form of football they were in the process of developing. If I remember correctly, it was in 1873 that they made this "manly" decision.

5. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhh.... Maybe....

Baseball - Derived from Rounders, a British offshoot of cricket designed for women. (Ironic, when you think about the monstrous guys who play a game made for women)

American Football (Pointyball) - Derived from Rugby.

Basketball is the only sport that can claim to be Made in America, and it's the third ranked of the three pro sports. And hell, the Americans can't even dominate that anymore.

So, if the fans of those sports are making something out of it, they're wrong. Not that they care, but they're wrong.

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp And while basketball was developed in America, its inventor (Dr. James Naismith) was Canadian.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

7. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, so maybe I went a little overboard. :D It was a JOKE!

I got banned from another bulletin board I've been frequenting lately, so I'm baaaaaaack to the place that knows how to ignore the bestest.

*stands up* My name is yalpstel and I am a San Jose Earthquakes fan.

*from the fan support group* Hi yalpstel.

Boy, I'm getting bold in my old age.

8. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Re: Re: One Man's Crusade to "Americanize" Soccer

The shootout was invented in Russia. Now that you know this, you will, no doubt, be for the shootout as it comes from Europe. And you will see clocks counting down in a few stadiums in Europe (including England) although it is, of course, meaningless as the clock has nothing at all to do with the game.

It isn't Americans being elitist, it is you. We have perfectly good words for the end of the game - you don't have to say "draw". The ground soccer players play on is the same kind of ground that baseball players play on and football players play on and goats eat and poop on so you should call it the same word - "field".

When you go skiing, do you speak in Norwegian? When you go to Shark games, do you go to the concession counter and ask "Give me a Molson, eh?" What is it about soccer that makes people go all "Put another shrimp on the barby, mate!"

9. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: One Man's Crusade to "Americanize" Soccer

I am American. :confused:

Seriously, though, you've missed my point. But whatever. You call it what you want. I'll call it what I want. We both know what the other means. I don't see how it should make any difference.

10. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Damn!! Too predictable!!

True, and its trying to make a comback..there is a rumour that some games in the 2007 World Cup wil be played in Florida...

-Richard

11. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or 'fieldgoal'...at least that's what we said to a son who all to often put it over rather than under the bar.

12. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porkrind, whatever you do, don't bend over.

Uh, while you're fighting, that is.

13. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    aiya... this is getting a little "randy"

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Are you saying that he's overweight? :confused:

-G

15. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So after watching Fox Sports World, I notice the use of "goalie" a lot when watching premiership games and when I actually watch their ridiculous soccer drama "dream team". So is "goalie" a British English term?

Oh yeah, and I should add the terms "team" and "game" (in lieu of "side" and "fixture") to the list.

16. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We tend to flip flop between "goalie" and "keeper". I personally prefer Keeper. I also agree about that drama. I watched it for the first time today and to be diplomatic about it...it was...erm...awful!!

-Richard

17. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Wonderful crusade. If you need a petition drive or a candidate's endorsement, or if you need a group to carry giant puppets on its behalf, let me know...

Meanwhile: Tilt. Colloquial for game, connotation of hard-fought game. Is that a Britishism or an acceptable Soccer term?

18. RPopescu

RPopescu New Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Wether or not you find the use of "foreign" words as haughty, I think that is a way to identify the true fans. If you use the same terminology (sp) as for other sports, you sound more like somebody who doesnt really follow the sport. Ill agree, the commentators are horrid, but would you rather have john madden? Thank you but ill take pitch, match and draw.

Regardless of terminology, with the US national team tearing it up like they are, more people will take notice, and ill help guide them on their way. For the US-Germany game, a sports bar in Grand Rapids, MI decided to open its doors early (i think 7am) and the place was packed by kick off with fans wearing red white and blue. I was in awe, soccer had finnaly arived.

19. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Don't use the word "nil."

20. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    And when not using the word "nil", do it with some verve:
    Why just say "nothing" or "zero", when one may use a raucus and fully American "nuthin"? Example: "What was the score of the New York/DC game?""Two-nuthin".

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It seems that Jeff Bradley agrees with you.

-G

22. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Obviously Jeff Bradley's Euro-snob friends have never been to our ground.

Meat pies...hmmm, I wonder if I can get that sponsored...

23. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Now *there's* an English tradition I could get on board with :mad:)

24. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    The Australian store off Winchester makes their own meat pies and also does catering. I wonder if...

SPARTAN1 WHERE IN BLAZES ARE YOU?

25. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's scared to come back because of the smaller beer:D