One Man's Crusade to "Americanize" Soccer

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by porkrind, Mar 14, 2003.

1. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is to serve notice that from this day forward, I, Porkrind, king of the Nation of Porks, shall hereby use the following terminology and only the following terminology when discussing soccer:

Soccer
    Field
    Uniform (or jersey)
    End line (or baseline)
    Nice pass
    Out of bounds (actually, this may be used, but I just haven't noticed)

Feel free to add others to the list and grow the numbers in the Nation of Porks.

"Why?" you may ask. Because every culture that adopts soccer uses its own language in describing it, and I think we should do the same, unashamedly. We are pretty different from the English, even if we have borrowed some of their annoying customs. As such, our version of soccer should be our own and not a poor emulation of theirs. Just MHO.

2. Jayhawk

Jayhawk New Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I wish American soccer broadcasters would follow your lead. It would make the sport a bit more familiar (and easier to sell) to US audiences. These guys on ESPN and Fox keep using "soccer" words to sound English, but they just end up sounding dumb and inauthentic. Although, those commentators from abroad (i.e. Tommy Smyth) should feel free to keep using the terminology to which they are accustomed.

3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    And I shall use the following just to balance out everything:

Football
    Pitch
    Kit
    Line at the end of the pitch
    Ball movement
    Out of touch
    The referee'z a wanker!

Thank you

4. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, some things transcend all cultural boundaries :mad:)

5. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    it's "into touch." As in, "He kicked the ball into touch."

6. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, if you're going to Americanise - *DRAT* I mean, Americanize soccer, make sure you frequently keep tabs on and quote the number of assists that soccer players make... because that's nearly as important a statistic as goals and saves.

7. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    rainmaker- a shot that goes high over the bar.

8. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Definitely 'into touch' since that's the only time a field player (pitchman? just kidding) can legally 'touch' the ball.

He can touch it, but he can't abuse it. There is a limit, even in France. :)

9. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thank you Beerking :)

-Richard

10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Porkrind, fight the good fight. I am behind you.

11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite. I think I'd prefer saying the referee's a "J.O." The word "wanker" is camouflage because most Yanks don't know what it means.
    If you Americanize the terminology, all the announcers will have to say "the San Jose Earthquakes is," not "the San Jose Earthquakes are." With quotation marks outside the commas and periods.

12. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I know you're from across the pond, and I enjoy your posts, so please don't take my post as a recommendation that British ex-pats change their speech.

13. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, make sure you use goalie alot too!! Goodness that one gets on my freakin' nerves!!! :mad:

Why do you have to americanise it? I'm just lost. What's wrong with pitch,kit, etc? You eat too many freedom fries (ugh I can't believe I just used that ridiculous term!!)?

14. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ah, good point... wanker is a British term. Although, I'm trying to figure out what "JO" means, but I seem to be drawing a blank.

With respect to your 2nd point, American English is equivocal. I think either way is correct, technically speaking. At least, that was how I was taught in elementary school oh so many years ago.

15. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No worries, I personally don't give a crap what anythings called..I just love the game. Names don't matter...

However, there is one chant I do miss with the advent of refs wearing multi-colours (whoops sorry about the spelling..lol)..."Who's the B****rd in the Black"

-Richard

16. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Because as long as we continue to use the terminology of another country or culture, the sport will not be accessible to most fans here. If there is always an aspect of something foreign in the sport, it will not be accepted as a legitimate enterprise here.

Americans have a really hard time with accepting things that are "not invented here." Not that I like this, mind you, I'm just being realistic.

And no, I won't be using the terms "freedom" and "fries" together for any reason :mad:)

And thanks for reminding me of "goalie". I'll add it to the list.

17. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FISH!! I shouldn't have said anything.

And I don't agree. But I'm also not one to argue. You say goalie, I say keeper. You say field, I say pitch. We know what we mean.

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely agree. It's either "goalkeeper" or "keeper." "Goalies" are in hockey.

19. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    porkrind's got an excellent point here. Most Americans are really hard-headed on this one. The three leading sports in this country are all "Made-in-America," and don't think their fans don't make something out of it.

20. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a whole lot of us though (yes me) who are drawn to the sport because it's the world's sport. And it bugs us to death that Americans have to be so damned elitest about things.

Why not just go back to the shoot-out to further Americanise things? Or how 'bout the clock counting down to draw, say, hockey fans? :rolleyes:

21. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    in regards to "out of touch"

surely everyone here has heard of the ball coming back into play... throw-ins, free kicks perhaps?

:p

22. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    One could technically argue with this!!

This is very true. However, in my experience of being here for nearly five years there is also a paradox. Americans don't like things they don't invent or seen as "Un-American". However, there is this massive search for an identity, History and roots, such as the big celebration of St Paddys day. Also all I have to do is speak and I get "thats such a cool accent", but, if I talk about soccer, for example is always "you would like that you're not from here". Interesting...different and dynamic. Thats why I love this country!!

-Richard

23. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    A different cruzade

If we soccer fan does not demand the hiring of more young amercan stars (Landon, Twelman ... etc) by MLS , there will be no soccer to CRUZADE

24. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    i use the traditional terms for football that my british friends taught me..

shot on docket
    Docketmatey
    un-positionality
    out of allowable zone
    fubar
    comportment contrary to the ideals of the game.
    to purposely impel ones self towards terra firma in an attempt to deceive.

25. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would someone please compile a list of emails of the sports editors and writers of all newpapers, all television sports writers and reporters, and all sports personalities on the radio within reading, watching, and listening distance of the San Jose Earthquakes? I'd like to start my letter writing campaign early this year to ensure that we have broad and complete coverage of this upcoming 2003 season. A list would be most helpful for my first mass mailing.

I'd be willing to stipulate use of the new terms. :D

Please?