News: On The Sidelines - The 2017/18 Injuries & Suspensions Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked always very likely that this would be his final season. The question as far as this season is concerned us whether he has nothing left to offer. With AP coming back next year and McTominay even emerging, things are set up more than ever for him to step down. And it makes perfect sense then.
    For the remainder of the season though, if he has absolutely nothing to offer, then so be it. But with a player like him, even if he has just a handful of decent games left in him, he definitely could be of some use. Even more so as the team may be looking at a heavy schedule, if they can keep going on multiple fronts. Matic has played so much already so far and Herrera's form so far has been spotty at best. If after being out for so long, he has 4-5 good months left in him, I'll take it, no question.
    I hope he sticks around to coach as well: he definitely looks like someone who would bring a lot in that role and be successful.

2. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    If it's a question of his heart and health condition though, just retire. I know I don't want to see him drop dead on the pitch. I mean, he's not Rojo for God's sake.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I obviously don't wish for anything bad to happen to him, but none of us are privy to his condition and how he may have recovered from whatever procedure he went thru recently.
    If he went back in training, it only stands to reason it was with the complete blessing of his doctor(s). So if he's up to it physically and it pauses minimal danger to his health, I'm all for him playing some kind of role for the rest of the season. I certainly don't expect him to have a major role in the team going forward either.
    If he can not (and him playing presents a real danger to his health and life) then he shouldn't play, clearly: there's nothing more to it...

4. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see MC as someone who would be too stubborn to call it quits, but I could understand him wanting to go out on his own terms if he has been given the OK from his medical team. Get him a couple more games if physically possible, then get him in with the academy/U23's asap.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More bad news unfortunately on the injury front as Fellaini will be out until the new year.

www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/16/manchester-united-hit-double-injury-blow-asmarouane-fellaini/

At least McTominay has shown he might be up to the challenge and he can pick up the slack over the next couple of weeks.
    Funny how it happens but AP, had he stayed would have probably game time, and plenty of it, as things turned out.
    Then again, had he not gone to Valencia, we might never have known that he potentially can be a viable option on either side as a wing player either.

6. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Not more game time than at Valencia.

jnielsen and Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not, yet the point stands that it's very likely he would have had his fair share of games at United, under the circumstances. He couldn't have known about the injuries and suspensions so it is what it is at the end of the day. It's just interesting to point out, nothing more really.

benni... repped this.
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Contract extension?

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't see how this is a factor (except being a negative one). If anything, it's probably an issue for both parties in this case.

11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As long as his head and elbows are fine. That's all he uses anyway.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose's comments in today's press conference appear to suggest that all the players who were out with injuries vs Burnley will still be out, both for tomorrow, but also Monday's game.
    So apart from the long term injuries, that's no Martial or Valencia for those games.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rashford is our only striker for the next two games. Not sure what youth squad member we can use as backup. Wilson maybe.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilson would be the only one: strikers are the one position we're in short supply at youth level (among the U23s at least).
    At least, the second game Lukaku will miss is the FA Cup tie vs Derby. Our next game after that will be on the 15th, giving him enough time hopefully to fully recover.
    Would look into playing 3-5-2 in the next couple of games, so we can go with a Rashford/Martial - Lingard/Martial duo upfront. That seemed to work out well enough for us before.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AY has been charged by the FA for his elbow on Tadic and could be suspended for 3 games, if judged guilty...

19. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He'll get suspended. He clearly threw an elbow.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's almost a given. The silver lining here is that it should mean Tuanzebe will get opportunities at RB.

21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I doubt it. Darmian will get the minutes.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possible, but not necesserily likely as I think Jose to be all but done with Darmian. We'll see I guess, but this appears as good a time to turn to Tuanzebe, the way I see it.

23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We'll see but I'd think it's much more likely that he plays a guy that he's used 4 times in the league this year vs one that he hasn't used at all.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps, but the point remains that Darmian has really not played well at all recently to warrant slotting in automatically in AY and Valencia's stead.
    Therefore Tuanzebe could have a chance to make a start. Would be a completely different matter if Darmian had shown even just a hint of good form when he was called upon...

25. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC