On any given day an MLS team can beat Hull

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Ruict, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Rozzy

Rozzy New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    One goal.

That's one goal is MORE than the total of Fagan and Garcia, who started against Arsenal and have regularly started over Altidore.

2. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    Neither of whom are out-an-out strikers.

3. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    According to this, he has zero league goals and one assist this season. He did score against Southend in the League Cup:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/profile?id=75589&cc=5901

In addition to being midfielders, Fagan and Garcia have played significantly less games than Altidore so you're also wrong about about them having "regularly" started over Altidore.

4. chrizzah

chrizzah Member

Aug 8, 2000
    DC
    Even beyond that, a lot of this logic (or illogic as it happens to be) would be like a Burton Albion fan wholeheartedly believing they were Champions' League material after their draw with United in the League or FA Cup several years ago.

1 person likes this.
  5. psc2009

psc2009 New Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'd love to say that MLS teams could compete with even a lowly EPL team by Hull. But... no. There is not an MLS team that would avoid relegation in the Premier League.

6. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW, I'm surprised this thread is still going.

I disagree with your statement. MLS does have some good teams, Houston, LA, New England. I think they would stay alive.

7. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There really are people that believe this? Most MLS teams would struggle to stay up in the Championship.

Fagan is a striker and is often chosen in games where Brown wants to play 4-5-1 because he is a carthorse... good at chasing balls and holding them up. Altidore works best with a strike partner and Hull don't play with 2 up front enough and when they do they don't have enough quality in midfield to create anything. It's a quagmire there right now, it's a shit team and I hope they go down.

8. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Because they don't play a style of football that suits their American player?

Diddums.

9. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Uhh.... no, because Hull is a shit club and has shit players and play shit football. I'd much rather see Newcastle and Forest in the Prem. It would be a shame if a real club like West Ham went down and Hull stayed up again. Outside of a blazing start last season they were the worst team in the league for a good 5 months and they've barely improved this season. And none of what I'm saying is because of Altidore.

Some people here have a ridiculous inferiority complex.

10. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Bit difficult to have good players and play good football when you have next to no money to spend. Not every club has obscene budgets like Chelsea or Man City.

11. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Burnley arent crawling with money and seem to fine in playing some good football

even West Brom who were a poor side at least played some decent stuff

12. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think Burnley will be playing good football for much longer.

And West Brom's relegation could be partially put down to their stubborn attempt to football 'the right way'.

1 person likes this.
  13. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There's a difference between being shit, and playing conservative but still quality football. Birmingham obviously have more money at their disposal than Hull but look where they are. The same goes for Stoke. They have made it a point to play a certain way and they've earned my respect. Hull just aren't a very good team at all no matter what style they play and I would prefer they go down. Is that a crime? For me, it's become where there are too many of those teams in the Prem. Bolton, Hull and Blackburn are dreadful to watch. Stoke and Brum aren't exactly Barcelona themselves but at least they are having success with their systems.

Basically, my problem with Hull is the potential upside - there really isn't any. If they stay up again they'll still be up against relegation again next season.

14. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed on both points

however the argument I am responding to is that it takes money to play good football- which I think is rubbish

15. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    It doesn't, but it certainly helps.

16. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    of course it helps but its not like Hull are paupers- they spent around 15 mil their first season up and 5 mil this season and that does not include several of the lads they signed on free transfers or undisclosed fees

Hull are spending money, but I think the point is that they have the team to actually play football but largely are not doing so.

17. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You can play good football with almost any level of player but the better the player the more effective the football and better players cost more money. That's where the likes of West Brom and the 97/98 Bolton fell down

18. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not for much longer Coyle will either change our style of play or we'll be relegated ;)

19. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's the thing, Megson did his job last year but I think you guys have a good enough team to actually outplay people. Klasnic is very good and a great foil for Davies. Muamba and Taylor are good players too but in an un-Bolton-like way you've conceded way too many goals which doesn't exactly go well with playing crap football. I think Coyle will do a good job, home form is definitely something he'll be looking to improve.

20. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    looks like Jozy will be bumped a little furhter down the order with the signing of Zaki

good pick up imo

21. dylanmei

dylanmei New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    ...So long as there aren't any Algerians or Israelis on the squad.

22. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    I'm pretty sure they have an Algerian player.

23. dylanmei

dylanmei New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ah they do, Kamel Ghilas, Zaki's new strike partner you think?

24. cs33

cs33 Member

Nov 18, 2009
    pretty insignifigant stat and your statement shows your lack of geographic understanding and deductive reasoning.
    ever stop to to consider the fact that the area of the united states is SEVENTY (70!) times that of pathetic little england for example? (9.1mil vs 130k sq km). you euros drive for 20 minutes in any direction and youre in a different country.
    in fact many states are vastly larger than most european countries.

and most americans dont need to travel outside the us because as far as vacationing (err excuse me holiday) goes, everything you could dream of is within or borders - from the tropics of hawaii, to skiing in colorado, the coasts of california, the hunting and fishing in alaska, the beaches of florida, to history laden new england. its all here, so why leave? theres a reason why so many foreigners flock to the states, and its not because of our health care...

25. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    You really are doing the reputation of American posters, and Americans in general, a huge disservice with remarks like that.