Ominous words from Johnson

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by scalvixen, Aug 19, 2010.

1. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shawn, Michelle makes a great point about the value of having someone familiar with the Atlanta area on your staff.

2. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, shawn is a transplant who is only interested in keeping his gig going until it all implodes on him. lol.lol.

3. Atlanta Beat GM

Atlanta Beat GM New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Hey, just checked in for the first time in a while and saw all this.

First, to everyone, I am always open to discuss anything (ideas, opinions, criticism, thoughts, etc...). I can be reached on my direct line at 678.298.4713. I ahve offered this before and offer it again. Also, I will always try to answer you truthfully and honestly. I try to be as transparent as possible. Sometimes I cannot answer, as it is something that I just can't discuss.

For manu, Michelle and kbrit, I would ask that you speak to me prior to throwing things out without knowin the facts. First off, our front office staff consisted of 17 full and part-time staff members this year. Out of that, only three of us are from outside the Atlanta metro area. I am from Dallas, as is our Director of Crowd Building, and our Director of Operations (who is considered the best in the league). I am not going to apologize for bringing in good people, but, as you can see, only 3 out of 17 people are not from here...so I don't see your point on this. In addition, all of our Crowd Building people have eitehr worked in sports in Atlanta before or have played sports for a long time in Atlanta. Lastly on this topic, please feel free to compare us to otehr sports teams and you will see that our percentage of transplants is much lowere than most.

Michelle, I am happy to speak to you anytime about possible employment. Please call me at the number above. Having said that, you do need to understand that it does have to be a good fit for all invovled.

To manu, you are ceratinly entitled to your opinion, but I do think you are not taking into consideration the resources (or lack thereof). It is very easy to talk about marketing or getting certain players. However, you are missing one component...budget. And to let you know, we have attended over 1,000 events in the last year and have done more than 600 player appearances in the last 7 months. We have had to go grassroots due to budget. We have, in my opinion, done a great job with what we have had. We got over 200 commericals on cable, a billboard on 75, about 250 print ads and about 500 radio spots/mentions for $0 dollars (all trade). Again, be happy to speak to you about ideas or your thoughts.

Lastly, scalvixen, sorry, but you are off-base. I moved my two children and wife here. Had two other job offers to stay in my hometown, but chose to come here and help Fitz build this. I am bought into this wholeheartedly...and if you would like to come spend a week with me and shadow me, I believe you would have appreciation for the number of hours and the effort that I (and my staff) are putting into this to make it work. I am serious on this...come one out and hang out with me...

Again, anyone can call me anytime to talk. I think I have proven that I am very open to talking and sharing. Of course, it is alway easier to just throw things out on a chat board....

Have a great weekend.

4. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shawn, I think it is great that you and other GM's read and respond on these boards. But realize, they are chat boards, mainly populated by people who are passionate about the game, their teams, and this league. And a few with no life, but that is for another thread.

Don't ask people to let you screen their thoughts before posting. The nature of these boards is to express opinions, and thoughts, and in some cases dreams, and it is almost always spur of the moment reactions rather than research papers so take it for what is worth, but not personally. You and the other GM's, by virtue of your profession and current postions, are the only ones who actually are limited to having their facts straight. The rest of us are held to a lower standard, like shooting the sh** with some buddies over a couple beers. Take it for what its worth, but I am guessing you get some pretty decent feedback on these boards, the kind other businesses pay big bucks to have researched.

scalvixen had plenty of lol's thrown in there, don't take offense.

Any of us who have been watching the league and the teams and attended games and talked to any of the staff know you all bust your butts.

And please don't take shots about the ease of throwing thoughts out on a chat board. That is what it is for. And your payback is the ease of getting fans opinions by clicking on your browser.

Now log off, chill out, enjoy your weekend, and see about getting your team a coach instead of a trainer. ;)

And BTW, nice job dealing with your "Solo Situations". Make excuses for one and let the league office deal with the other. It can't be easy.

5. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    omg, best post ever. I always have a laugh when I read a GM post that takes the comments so seriously (this isn't necessarily a bad thing, just amusing). Thank you, socfandan, have a good night.

6. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

Well spoken. We are just posting on a message board, but in reality, this sport is such a difficult and marginal business. I am encouraged to see you here, and I hope that circumstances gel to see the Beat start and finish another season.

Thanks for all you do.

7. Atlanta Beat GM

Atlanta Beat GM New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Know that I was not upset and certainly don't take chat boards to seriously. My point was that if you throw things out there, you should have your facts straight and should try to take into account all angles. I think that often people put things out there with no thought towards budget...many time they are good ideas, but not feasible. I have said it before that decisions are not one-dimensional...it is that old adage of a buterfly flapping its wings on the other side of the world....

Again, I am always open to talking with any fan about anything. Just call me...

8. nine

nine New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shawn, are you going to be at the volunteer appreciation dinner? Perhaps I will see you there.. Thanks for everything, and I too, mean no disrespect. I think we are all just very passionate people that want so desperately not to see another WUSA. It is very encouraging to be accessible to managment and the players the way you all are, and that is something definitely unheard of in other sports. Thanks again.

9. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    fyp.

Um, the bulk of the ATL soccer fanbase is OTP; Powder Springs/Kennesaw/Marietta/Roswell/Alpharetta/Gwinnett; more suited to go 400/285/75 than to go the other way. That's why the 'Backs didn't draw squat at DMS/Hallford. They were about as far east as they could go at Silverbacks Park, and they still averaged only about 2500, if that. Of course, the lack of advertising, and musical roster/coaches year after year didn't help, either.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    How far is far? For me as an avid soccer fan and sports fan in general, nothing is too far.

I used to live in the Spartanburg, Greenville, SC area back in college and a few years afterwards and I used to drive 21/2 to 3 hours to go see Atlanta Braves games on a regular basis. And that was in the 80's when they sucked and the only good player on the team was Dale Murphy. There were maybe 3-4,000 people in the stands behind home plate at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium back in those days but I would drive all the way from Spartanburg to the games even on week nights.

People can come up with all kinds of excuses. Either they want to go or they don't.

Just like now where I live in Chicago, I see so called Red Stars supporters at Chicago Fire games all the time but when you ask them why they don't come to CRS games they come up with all kinds of excuses like the parking is too expensive even though he/she is willing to pay the same price at every Fire game and down a few $7.75 beers to go with the spending.

Like I said, people either want to go or they don't.

11. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, the problem is not necessarily the weekend games, but the games during the week. I had to take time off work for each one of the Beat games that took place on a Wednesday just to make it to the game during rush hour traffic. Not every employer would allow that, and not everybody's financial situation would.

12. GPFan19

GPFan19 New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Toccoa, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weekday games are a problem, yes, and that is surely league-wide. People have "important" stuff to do. I know I only made one Wed game.

Kinda playing off MRAD here...there is a whole wide world (state) outside of Atlanta. Some of us out here even own vehicles and a loyal spirit. Go figure. As my comRADe stated above, some people would like to watch the Atlanta Beat, some people would not like to watch the Atlanta Beat. I would venture to guess that ain't gonna change once you get into Atlanta or into Kennesaw. Location really only matters when you are trying to persuade someone that it is worth the trip. Find your fans first, then work on changing the other peoples' minds.

Maybe this made sense to someone ;)

13. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but how many avid [women's] soccer fans like you are there? More like dozens than thousands in any given metropolitan area. If WPS can't attract the casual fan looking for something to do on a Saturday evening, it's doomed, and for that the stadiums need to be convenient. Judging by WUSA attendance levels, the Freedom could easily double their attendance just by moving to a centrally-located, subway-accessible stadium. Unfortunately, RFK is way too expensive, and there aren't any other options right now.

14. nine

nine New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that def made sense to me. i think there does need to be more focus on ITP but you have to target your fans ITP. don't try to get new fans, make the ones you already have keep attending. the problem wasn't necessarily finding NEW fans, it's filling the seats with the fans you already have. i would wager there are at least 8500 fans in this city or region, that just don't come to every game. and that's fine that you can't come to every single game.

i wouldn't market or rely on a marketing strategy that targets new people, because honestly i don't think any kinda marketing is going to help there. people aren't under rocks, they do know womens soccer exists, but i think the way to draw in new fans is going to come from the current fans themselves - by bringing 1 or 2 friends with you to check it out and hopefully spur interest there.

if i could assist with growing the fanbase i would target more adults, the GLBT community, and hispanics. i know the league is trying to push a family-friendly activity, but the bulk of the consistent paid seats i think are going to come from these demographics.

just my opinions, of course. :)

15. GPFan19

GPFan19 New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Toccoa, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Michelle, I think we are in a similar vein of thinking regarding the established fan base.

To your point about the target audience - i think just about everyone on BS has taken a crack at this one and most everyone has come up with your answer. If it is so obvious why is the entire league still leaning toward the adorable family thing? Idk but it's their money, right?

So how do you market to these intended audiences? How do you balance this with what you already have? And one for the real thinkers: What exactly is a fan(atic)?

16. nine

nine New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because i'm not on staff, i would personally market the GLBT community by contacting club/bar owners, getting involved with the Pride parade, networking at GLBT events. asking permission to flood windows of shops or bars with stickers, Beat merchandise etc., handing out info at the parade if we are unable to do an official showing there.

the hispanic community is easy, it just needs to be done. all restaurants and hispanic-themed retailers, any tournaments, just to start.

and the adults would be easy too, again, just hit up sports bars IN AND AROUND atlanta, not just in cobb. get local soccer retail stores to have Beat merch, even little things like stickers and lanyards.

those are just a few ideas that i have in my head.

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    First and foremost what needs to change is the perception of women's pro soccer that it's for little kids, soccer moms and dads with their little kids.

People, especially men have to perceive women's pro soccer just like they would do the Braves or the Falcons. A legit pro, have to follow, sport.

IMO, you can do all the marketing and flyers in the world if people are only going to go because their little daughter wants to get a signed autograph.

That's why hard core supporters groups are vital for the existence of this league. Where adults, singles, etc. Can go to the games and not feel weird.

18. Soccer1161

Soccer1161 New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    For locals to follow WPS, like other Pro Sports Teams, has anyone been in contact with other Pro Players who would be willing to show show support? Are there any connections between the women who play and friends that play football, baseball, basketball, or other pro sports. I know that some women have friends from college that they could call upon to come to a game or do a WPS commercial to show support. Do you think any of that would matter? I heard in the past that Steve Nash was a supporter. I never saw him do a commercial or a poster with any WPS team or member. Do other Pro Athletes have power to influence at all?

19. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record...the Atlanta Beat did have a float in the Pride Parade last year. I was soooooo excited to see them! Another GLBT marketing idea is getting articles in the Georgia Voice & listing in their "events calendar." Also the "Hotlanta" soccer league would be a great marketing opportunity as well. I know that some of the players must be "out" so maybe they would be willing to do player appearances at some local gathering places.