Ominous words from Johnson

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by scalvixen, Aug 19, 2010.

1. AtlBeaterteacher

AtlBeaterteacher New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is Kennesaw an excellent location?

KSU - college crowd (yes, the need to be brought in via more advertisement, but a great fan base that can be tapped)

convenience to major interstate

the area in which the stadium is located is near dining, hotles, movie theaters, shopping and several other entertainment venues

most importantly :)
    I will admit that I am BIASED here. I drive by the stadium daily on the way to work. It is practically in my backyard and love it. If the stadium were in you neighborhood, you would taut it as an excellnt local as well.

2. Snail_ATL

Snail_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Ha ha! At least you're honest!

Well, I don't think Kennesaw is a great location, but it's not horrible either, from my perspective. I live near Little Five Points in the Candler Park/Lake Claire area. Very much inside the perimeter. It takes me 25 minutes to get to the stadium, which I consider reasonable, and traffic hasn't been bad any of the times I've gone to games (both on weekdays and weekends -- but I go more on weekends). So, my guess is that for a lot of peeps inside the perimeter, the commute would be about that, maybe slightly more.

Sure, I would love it if the stadium were 10 minutes from me, or less, but it's not that big of a deal.

I do agree with the point about advertising though. Most of my soccer-crazy friends don't know about WPS or know very little about it, and I know of only 1 of them (beside me and my wife) who goes to Beat games.

I'd also try to give away more tickets and do more promotions, just to get the stadium filled more and create potential fans.

3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    return on investment for advertising in women's soccer tends to be negative when there is not a big event accompanying it. you have to spend a lot more to make a fan of the game than you would in other areas.

that's why most teams use their $$ for something else.

these owners certainly understand advertising. they use it a lot in their other businesses.

latinos and brazilians tend to look down on women's soccer. they are among the worst populations in terms of supporting the game.

every place we've had to create a new audience we tend to struggle. the traditional women's soccer supporting communities should be the only places where we set up teams and build/renovate stadia.

4. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Do a good number hang around during the summer?

I could see it helping attendance in the beginning and towards the very end of the season, but May-August, would there be enough around to help enough?

5. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA HA! Too bad BS doesn't have a LOL smiley!

Seriously, is Boston the only team that has decent attendance?

I thought Chicago did but it seems they're losing money too.

6. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point.

7. AtlBeaterteacher

AtlBeaterteacher New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bonnie Lass -
    You are right. I am not sure how things would shape up duing the summer months. KSU has a great deal going on durig the summer, so there are possibilities. Only time will tell.

8. supermoo

supermoo New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We live ITP on the NW side of town - 2 exits from 75. It takes us an hour to get to the games during the week. Too long, and too far, but we do it because we love the sport. However, we found out by accident from a friend that the WPS even had a team starting up in Atlanta. BAD/NO MARKETING.
    As someone who has worked to publicize events in the city, i KNOW - it is not that difficult to get segments on the morning shows. Often, you just have to ask. If the organization treated the Beat marketing like indy musicians do, they'd be golden. Get a street team together. Cross-market with other teams to pull in their groups. Offer giveaways that give you free marketing (hello, have you seen how many empty primo seats there are at games???).
    It seems like they are operating on an "if you build it, they will come" mentality.
    Well, if you build it, you need to tell them about it or they won't know to come.
    Partner with companies and offer them sponsorships for giveaways. Create ticket vendors in-shop in some of the trendy neighborhoods. Try to foster the idea of shuttling to a game from ITP locations.
    It's not THAT difficult. You just can't think the way you do about traditional marketing for a product like this, or you WILL lose your shirt. Guaranteed.
    Offer a ticket competition for your dedicated fans - "the fan who brings in the most ticket buyers wins XXXX"...
    Use the resources you HAVE.
    It's not that difficult.

9. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about actually HIRING a local sports marketing company instead of trying to do everything in-house?

10. Atlanta Beat GM

Atlanta Beat GM New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Hey all, Shawn here.

I can go into it all, but suffice it to say:
    1. we have a Street Team and go out tow at least 8 events per week
    2. our players have made over 500 player appearances
    3. we have done over 30 clinics
    4. we have been on 790, several morning shows, the Fish, CSS Sports Central
    5. we had a billboard at 75 and 575
    6. we have ads in MDJ twice per week
    7. we just did a deal with Comcast and you will see 300 commercials over the next few weeks.
    8. I think you all think we have an unlimited budget. We did a great job of stretching the dollars we have, but we just don't have enough
    9. Oh yeah, and we try to use new media a lot (as it is trageting and cheap)

Give us a chance. We are trying, with the resources we have.

And lastly, if you truly think we have a "build it and they will come" mentality, then you must be stoned...as I have been selling soccer in the U.S. for 15 years and have opened other stadiums...it does not work that way. Rather, you have to build it over time.

11. supermoo

supermoo New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shawn,

Thanks for responding. Very, very much. And for all you do.

Please keep in mind the posts here are by people who care about the team, want it to succeed, and are willing to help it be successful.

This is not meant disrespectfully, but it has to be said - You are leaving out/not actively targeting a massive group of fans - fans who have the expendable income (and passion for the sport) to spend on things like hats and upgraded tickets and food and memorabilia, etc - who do not live in Kennesaw/upper Marietta. The fans I mention may not be able to make it to all of the weeknight games, but definitely the weekend ones (though we've made it to every single home game you've had).

These are the questions I have to ask (and not meant disrespectfully):

Why is it that none of the people I know ITP who are RABID soccer fans (i.e. go to a pub at 9AM to get a good seat for the WC game at 11AM) - none of them - even knew we had a WPS team before I told them? They know who Hope is, yet they don't know she is here, and are shocked to learn so.
    You advertise on the Fish - that's great, but most people I know ITP or thereabouts don't listen to the Fish.
    A billboard at 75/575 is great, but again, targets a TINY segment of the people in the greater Atlanta area.
    Ads in the MDJ are also great - but how many people in the greater ATL area read it?

This demographic I speak of includes a whole neighborhood of 3-400 households who are, again, rabid soccer fans, many with children. We started our own league and team here for the kids in the area because there wasn't one. How many more such neighborhoods/potential fans of the Beat exist?

I'm a season ticket holder - about $2k worth of them. And yet, I have no idea at any given time what is going on with the team other than the games, and what I learn on Twitter and Facebook. I know to look there because I dig for information out of love for the team. Most people just go to the website.
    However, on the website, half the player bios are not entered.
    The last events listed are for June.
    If you don't have the staff to enter the information, I'd bet a fan would be willing. Heck, I'LL do it if you let me. I know others who would say the same.

For some of the marketing stuff - let us (the fans) help you. You have fans of all ages and demographics who are willing to go pretty far to help the team be successful.

The "build it and they will come" comment refers to the fact that you are marketing only to people in a very small demographic and geographic area. The majority of the Atlanta area just has no idea you exist - and they SHOULD, because you have built an AMAZING product.

You have done a PHENOMINAL JOB with the customer service you offer - people need to know about the team and the organization. We want to see the team continue and build for next year, the following, and the next decade.

Our season tix, even in this economy, even with everything going on - are the BEST PURCHASE WE HAVE MADE ALL YEAR. Seriously. We love you guys and are willing to help. How can we help ensure that you will continue to be around for the years to come?

12. Atlanta Beat GM

Jun 21, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    supermoo, happy to speak with you about helping us. I can be reached at 678.298 4713. There is the question of ROI...money spent vs. return on dollars spent in advertising. So that you know, I would blow my whole 12 month advertising budget if I did one full-page black and white ad in the AJC...that is one day worth of advertising in one year... It is not as easy as the fans think.

Please know that I don't take ANYTHING personally. I am just trying to be transparent for our fans and trying to share with you all our challenges and our successes.

You are right, I would love help from our fans to share the gospel of the Atlanta Beat with your family, friends and neighbors...and the rest of the metro-Atlanta population... Help us by bringing extra people to each of our last three games...thanks in advance for your help on this.

13. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Holy shit, you're not joking.

Just in case people think your budget's cheap, I just looked up their rates and for a one-time, full page BW ad, full run in the main section .. If I'm calculating the inch count right, it would cost me over a year's salary to pay for it. Pre-taxes.

14. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with 100percent of what SuperMoo said. And would like to add that I have been what I consider a "superfan" of women's soccer since the 1996 Olympics. I was one of the first to purchase front row, Center Circle tickets when they went on sale late last year, so I want desperately for this team to be successful. I also drive about 40 minutes each way for every game (over an hour on weeknight games during rush-hour traffic). I go out of my way to follow women's soccer. In fact, I said it all in several posts on the Atlanta Beat forum several months before the season started when we first found out that the Atlanta Beat was coming back. I, along with others, tried very hard to convince the owner not to build a stadium in Kennesaw--that they wouldn't draw enough fans to that location. So, I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so, and now you have an uphill battle to face with regards to getting fans in seats.

My most important comment to Shawn & Fritz: when you say "this community has to choose whether or not to support this team," it sounds from your advertising focus that you just mean Cobb County. In which case, why didn't you name the team the Kennesaw Beat? If you want to reach the entire Atlanta community, you should widen your advertising focus: include the AJC, not just the MDJ. I don't know a soul who reads the MDJ. For that matter, get on the events calendar online for the AJC, Creative Loafing, etc.

Also, I don't know anyone who listens to the Fish. They have a very, very limited audience, and you can see the success of that advertisement by how many people showed up for the Christian Rock concert. ;) Probably our lowest attendance to date. Try to get player appearances on stations that people actually listen to, like 94.1 or even "Morning Edition" on 90.1.

Basically, widen your focus to include the entire Atlanta area, not just Cobb County. Apparently, around 2000 paying fans are about all there is in that area.

15. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think a pretty good chunk of Kennesaw State kids are commuter students so it isn't like they leave town for the summer to go home. A quick search I found a link that shows what county in Georgia a student is from attending there. In the spring they had 13,235 students from Cobb, Fulton, Gwinnett, and Cherokee counties combined out of the 22,000ish total students.

16. Atlanta Beat GM

Jun 21, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Again, kbritt, it is advertising dollars we have vs. the cost of advertising over a broad area. The ROI is just not there. We have been on just about every big radio station in Atlanta. We just don't have the funds to adverstise over long periods, rather we have to do short bursts. We have been in Creative Loafing. Again, we don't have the funds to advertise in it over the long haul.

Be happy to explain the situation over the phone. Call me to discuss if you wish.

But, you guys have to know, this is about grassroots marketing first and foremost...then it is about strectching the dollars we have int he most effective way...jsut like MLS had to do in its infancy.

17. supermoo

supermoo New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shawn - I (Rachelle - or rawillow on twitter, btw) will call you this week. I meant want I said about helping however I can. We're trying to get a big group for this weekend as well, and will continue to support the team however we can.
    AND CONGRATS ON THE WIN THIS WEEKEND!! :)

18. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shawn: have you tried any player appearances or events at some of the intown bars that attract adult soccer fans, like the Brewhouse Pub in Little Five Points, Jocks-n-Jills, etc.? I know that the Brewhouse is THE place for soccer fans in Atlanta. The clubs that have the best attendance (CRS & Boston) have actively marketed to ADULT fans, not just families with kids--this is the group that has the most disposable income & the most knowledge of the sport & players.

Also, CROG1967 & I were discussing trying to organize a real fan club, like the Riptide or the (now defunct) Laclede's Army. Would like to discuss this with you (supermoo, CrazyOldLady, & others are you interested, too?).

19. supermoo

supermoo New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kbritt - Totally interested in getting something going. i've also been talking to a few people about this. i am a web geek, and my partner is an IT exec - we've got the web knowhow to get something decent off the ground supporting the effort. We've also talked to others who suggested maybe just a facebook page to start. Several ppl have started their own, but there doesn't seem to be anything organized by the fans specifically, in an organized way.

20. Atlanta Beat GM

Jun 21, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    We have approached several pubs. The feedback that we are getting is that they bascially don't think that their clientelle cares about women's soccer...rather care about the EPL, etc. We will keep trying.

As for the fan group, I would love that. We want it to be something that is organized for the fans, by the fans...and grow organically. We do not wnat to force it or drive it...as that causes the fan club to be somewhat contrived... However, we are here to help. Let me know how.

21. lisab

lisab Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Orlando
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be heading up to catch my first WPS game on Sept 1, hopefully will help with your mid-week numbers. I actually feel guilty for not making it last year during the inaugural season but the budget just didn't allow for it. Glad that the Beat are back. But I did want to comment on getting some interest from the local soccer pubs. I know anytime I'm in Atlanta during the EPL season I head over to the Brewhouse in Little 5 points to catch those games. And in fact they may not be all that interested in women's soccer but they may have more interest if there have a scarf or jersey, etc to post up on the wall.

22. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, if we do decide to frequent a local watering hole, may I suggest that we go to one of the places that sponsor the team? We've eaten at a couple of the places with our jerseys on, and the manager came by to talk to us--we made sure to thank them for sponsoring the Beat!

Also, would love to either carpool or caravan to the games, especially the weekend games. I had suggested several months ago that the Beat offer a shuttle either from midtown or from one of the North end MARTA stations, since there was no public transportation to/from the games. I think that is one of the main reasons they're not getting the attendance they need: location. People just aren't willing to drive, especially with the current gas prices. BUT, if there were an organized intown meeting spot for carpools, that might get some of the people who didn't want to drive (or didn't have transportation) a way to get to the games.

23. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding tailgating: the Beat Fleet (somewhat of a fan club, but not really off the ground yet) has tailgating before the games in an empty lot near the stadium. That was another shocker when we went to our first game: the parking lots don't allow tailgating! Who allowed that & why would they plan on having a PROFESSIONAL sports team in a location where parking doesn't allow tailgating? Hopefully this will be changed next year with some negotiating of the terms for parking, but tailgating in the official lots would definitely foster more fan interaction & comeraderie.

24. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dallas mls is still fighting for survival.
    considering your stretched resources, the big question is:
    how are you planning on breaking even and when?
    if thats not possible how will the beat survive?

25. supermoo

supermoo New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States