OMG! Orrin McKinze Gaines at SG Sonnenhof Großaspach (Germany)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Mar 16, 2015.

1. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    A while back someone said its going to be a gold rush, don't remember who but that sounds accurate.

2. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    BL clubs definitely seem to be making a concerted effort to scout and recruit young Ameri-boys. Interestingly enough, the club that openly stated a desire to market to the US (by featuring a US player), Leverkusen, has not had much luck doing so. My money was on them last year to buy Bobby Wood.

I saw an interesting tweet after HSV's first mach this year. It was along the lines of complaining that Hamburg did not have the English web presence to exploit a Bobby Wood. They said something like, "Leverkusen bought Chicharito and were selling sombreros the next day."

I get the feeling the BL would love to supplant EPL as the league of preference in the US.

Winoman, TheFalseNine and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  3. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    As it stands, the BL is the best entrance into Europe for Americans once they hit 18 with no work permit or international player restrictions for clubs and players.

Also, while the tweet about exploiting Wood's market may be true, he isn't even close to as influential as Hernandez is to their respective nations.

4. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    No argument here.

5. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    It Wood be nice if the media built him up :)

6. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The commercial aspect is peripheral IMO. I think German clubs are just realizing that the US has a talent pool with players who fit in well with Buli club/academy culture - disciplined, collaborative, relatively self-educated, English-speaking (and hence able to communicate while getting up to speed on German). They want to discover the next Pulisic or Wright.

7. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I agree all those reasons are important, not to mention we come relatively cheap. But don't discount the marketing aspect. They don't even make a secret of it.

Snip:

Bayer Leverkusen chairman says the club wants to sign an American star

An American star at Bayer Leverkusen? That's exactly what the club's chairman Michael Schade is looking for.

"If I could have a wish, I would like to get a player that really could play in the first team from America and from China because that would open new markets," Schade told reporters while discussing the club and league's international expansion.

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/us...830310/bayer-leverkusen-star-signing-transfer

warsuh repped this.
  8. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe pump the brakes on Wright? While I do expect it this season, he still hasn't had a first team debut yet.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Does expecting an American-born-and-raised player to make a Bundesliga debut before his 19th birthday now qualify as pumping the brakes? Sounds like I need to get caught up on the new normal. ;)

chrome_vapors repped this.
  10. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah man, Bryan Arguez started this new normal.

Gamecock14 and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  11. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point well made.

12. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  13. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    #63 Rahbiefowlah, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    [​IMG]

Just to illustrate what where some of these players may be 8 1/2 years after making their debut for Hertha Berlin as a 19-year-old.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  14. brjohnson

brjohnson Member

May 30, 2015
    indiana
    which pixel is mckinze?

15. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Assuming you're not watching on a smart phone, look for the beautiful arching cross right to the head of the goal scorer and then reverse trace its ballistic path back to its point of origin. Failing that... it's the dark pixel.

16. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Quite gorgeous. Even on a phone.

17. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Looked like Dembeles cross on that first goal in the BVB game today.

chrome_vapors and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's five goals and three assists in six games now.

19. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have a scouting report on this guy? I know he's fast, but is he a traditional get up to the end line and cross it in type of winger, or does he bring more tricks to the table?

20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Others will hopefully have more insight than I do, but one thing that I have noticed is that Transfermarkt has him alternating between starts on the right wing and as an out-and-out forward. Transfermarkt isn't infallible, but they are usually fairly accurate with this stuff.

Not sure where he started today.

21. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    My take from a game in U17 qualifying:

"Gaines - 6 - An old school American wing/forward prospect, added some energy to the proceedings."

In 2014 I said that he would have probably been a starter for most past cycles.

In an away friendly against France I thought he was doing good things but his passing/combination play was poor.

22. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Just damn.

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming soon:

The U17 USMNT, sponsored by The Bundesliga.

24. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    On a per dollar investment basis, it's a really smart business decision by Bundesliga clubs. 16-18 year olds on free contracts. You scout America. Pick the best of the cream here, believe in your coaching set up, give them the challenges they need to improve themselves and hopefully generate a first team player or two. If you get lucky and groom a star like Pulisic then they're going to bank major coin on a future transfer fee(s).

largegarlic and ShadowMoses2 repped this.
  25. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but Americans can't sign official contracts until they're 18, unless they have Euro passports, like Pulisic and, I believe, Gooch.