BigSoccer Shrugged: Omar Gonzalez at Atlas

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ussoccer97531, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He made a full recovery after the tear.

2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whether he made a full recovery or not, his ceiling as a player has to be lower as a result of that injury and the timing of it/lost momentum....the window to the very top is only open for so long

3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering his biggest weakness is regarded to be his technical ability, which would not be affected by the tear, I do not agree it significantly affected his game. He athletically keeps up with the best in the world (see the Germany game), which I would not expect from a player who's been negatively affected by knee injuries.

4. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I hate the saying, it was my way of "having the south in yer mouth." Not a bad translation if I do say so myself.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  5. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its what the tear meant to his career path....instead of being a bundesliga starter going into brazil....and maybe by that point transferring to a bigger club than Nurnberg....he stayed in MLS and didn't develop further.

playing in more technical leagues in Europe would've hopefully allowed him to improve his technical ability. in MLS he could just play 3 touch all day out of the back and be comfortable. hopefully this mexico move pushes him to improve on his weaknesses more....but you've gotta think even if it does, if he had done it 4 years ago...his ceiling as a player would be higher.

btw, the tape of that Germany game should be burned not celebrated....11 men panic defending and zero shots on goal in 90- minutes is not really "keeping up with the best in the world". we should aim higher.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's a good saying. Very Yosemite Sam.

Winoman repped this.
  7. usmntfan1415

usmntfan1415 Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Virginia
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, clearly we should have played attacking from the outset. It did lots of teams a lot of good, particularly Brazil. Yes, we could have attacked more, but going toe to toe with Germany and getting a 1-0 result in the World Cup is not bad.

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering we advanced only because of goal differential it was a very important result, and our centerbacks were not the problem.

usmntfan1415 repped this.
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gets a goal:

10. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Homeboy just saved our undefeated streak with a beautifully placed header.

USAMEX10, Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he looked pretty solid other than a few hesitant moments in possession.

But I am also left wondering...

How do you explain Medina's hairstyle?

12. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, Pl@ymaker and BostonRed repped this.
  13. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    I think he started sucking at Monterrrey when he got a haircut so the more feathery, the better. Good defender, just not convinced he should be playing that far wide. They all bring something great to the team, not sure there's any field player in the league taller than Omar.

14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To many LigaMX/Mexican homers, Omar's physical dominance (as predicted) will just reinforce that MLS is just about size.

Last night they mistook Rebello for Villafana, and acted like that one, supposed mistake (which wasn't even his), meant Gringo MLS players on the whole sucked. Nevermind that Villafana had another strong outing and has surely been one of the best fb's in LigaMX at this stage (also btw he's spent half his life in Mexico). By their own measure, it would show the opposite, albeit of course reality they are a whole 2 samples.

These are two individuals, who should be judged as such, and deserve kudos independently for their important, early season contributions to LigaMX squads having a good amount of success so far.

15. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's clear set pieces should be a priority moving toward. Hairstyle aside, I didn't think Medina needed to come out because he looked good today. He might have been gassed.

Its concerning how you guys couldn't put it together on the counter. The team was way better than Pumas from the run of play. Gutierrez was really impressive.

LaMascara repped this.
  16. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    i think Alonso wanted a rb that would run all the way to the corner while Steven Almeida (being left footed) would cut inside the box.

Salmos repped this.
  17. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    i dont think anybody doubted Omar's physical presence or that mls was not a physical ligue.

who said that?

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is, that's the contention it's all it was, and what advantage that provided, didn't lead to much when transferring over to LigaMX.

The numerous comments mocking Villafana and in turn MLS on the interwebz are really the ones that irked me though, and they were rampant last night, because they mistook him for Rebello when he got beat off the dribble. As if that one play would have overrode everything he's done so far this year anyway, or that one player would define MLS. He's been a boss, and if players like he and Gonzalez are the measurements, LigaMX doesn't appear much better than MLS. They were good starters in MLS, and now they are good starters in MX.

This was not a commentary about BigSoccer posters specifically (the ones who've posted on YA have been pretty cool), although those Gringo Wall of Shame participants are by and large, insecure and delusional. The hilarious part is holding those attitudes, while most of them surely live in the U.S. lol

19. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Speaking of insecurity....

Anyway, this thread has been pretty civilized and if it's gonna turn into a MLS vs. Liga MX debate, let it be by none of my doing.

Omar's done well. Murillo reminds me of a young Mosquera, about as well rounded a CB as we'll have. Omar brings his own virtues and faults to the backline. But like they say, you don't have faults until someone has the capacity to expose them. And outside of América I don't think there will be too many super fast-aggressive teams to deal with.

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pointing out the insecurity of others doesn't somehow make you insecure.

Somebody should stick up for Villafana and other individual MLS players who are legitimately decent or better players but get blanket discredited out of insecurity or ignorance. No?

As I said, this wasn't a response to this forum, more of an outlet among theoretically like-minded people, so no need to take it personal, if that indeed occurred.

21. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    First I've seen anything of Villafana being discredited. And the only thing that's been said against Omar (at least in BSMX) is that he's slow as hell.

The MLS sucking stuff is really just a product of the rivalry and the fact that they get dominated almost every year by Liga MX teams, if the Costa Ricans haven't taken care if it by then.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was on Twitter, which I know can be a cesspool, but I'm not basing this off a couple people. It was really prevalent during the game last night, people mocking Villafana and in turn MLS, even though he was playing very well in the game, in addition to the season. There was zero basis for it. It goes to show a sizable % of people are looking for any reason for a vicarious back pat.

Even if MLS has struggled historically in the CCL, it's evolved a lot in the last few years (although the bubble might be about to burst), the schedule is advantageous for MX relative to MLS, and every player in MLS is an individual. The quality of players varies widely, more than just about any league. Although maybe our national coach deserves a lot of the blame for perpetuating the attitude even more. He's one of the biggest offenders, ironically.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In situations like this, I've found it pays to look at the guy's posting history and see if he's worth responding to.

gunnerfan7, Mario Balotelli and Salmos repped this.
  24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't say I've found anything you've ever said memorable. This cowardly, passive-aggressive statement is the first.

As if that warranted you being some sort of white knight to him anyway. He didn't need your defense. I made it clear after, if there was a misunderstanding, that wasn't a response to anyone here, rather just used this as a platform for a rant that should be taken as matter of fact in this forum. Whether you thought it was worthwhile caring about yourself, that's your prerogative as it is for anyone toward any post here, but maybe you didn't see what I did, and if you really didn't care you shouldn't have responded as you didn't before now and I haven't done toward you. That's what ignore and scroll are for.

25. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzalez has done better than a lot of people expected.