BigSoccer Shrugged: Omar Gonzalez at Atlas

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ussoccer97531, Dec 22, 2015.

1. COMUS

COMUS New Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Dont think Aquivaldo / Omar will work well together, both lack speed, would rather have seen Medina move to centerback. Hopefully it works out though.

2. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    champ in 1st year. not bad

LouisianaViking07/09 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. COMUS

COMUS New Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Watched about 2/3 of the games this season, felt like that was Omars best game all season.
    The half time adjustment to have Manny Garcia and Medina sit more and attack less totally neutralized Monterreys attack.
    In 2 games this season to hold Monterrey to only 1 goal and score 4 is impressive. Any sort of tie or loss by only 1 goal and Pachuca will be champs, that shut out at home today was big.

LaMascara and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. COMUS

COMUS New Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Wrong, there is a 2nd leg

5. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    well damn

6. rich loc

rich loc Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Would have been funnier if it was Omar.

7. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    nobody is laughing at him. hope he gets better, his reaction was funny tho

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    competition for a spot in the NT is much more severe for Gonzalez then it was 2-5 years ago. Back then he had the emergence of Besler, Ream (if JK gave him a look) and possibility of Brooks. Now he'd be likely to ride the bench especially with Miazga good as a call-up in the future.

9. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Our #1 CB. By far.

rich loc repped this.
  10. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Anyway IMO Omar was amazing today. Comfortable on the ball, smooth distribution, good decision making when we were in attack mode. He usually loses the ball in bad positions when we're attacking but not today. Hella shameful that he wasn't on the US squad. He might not be better than Brooks, but definitely the best Americas-based US defender.

LaMascara, Jazzy Altidore and ImaPuppy repped this.
  11. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But putting Omar on the roster would take him away from these games for Pachuca, right? Better that he stays at his club for such important matches.

12. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Yeah, he's probably 4th or perhaps 5th in the pecking order at this point which is a shame, but it's definitely close and there's an argument both ways. I watched him at Pachuca last night for the first time and he was certainly good. If he starts playing like that all the time he'll get serious minutes for us going forward.

Salmos and Winoman repped this.
  13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @sidefootsitter why don't you participate in this lively discussion about Omar ?

superdave repped this.
  14. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Murillo and Medina were allowed to stick around for the final.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's certainly ahead of Michael Orozco.

The only reason Orozco makes the roster is presumably his versatility of being able to play all along the backline. Not particularly well at any position in my view...............................

Klinsmann actually thinks of centerbacks as left-sided or right-sided. Different positions to him. So Omar isn't competing with the left-sided guys, who are viewed as Brooks and Besler. He's competing with the right-sided guys, who on this Copa roster are Cameron and Birnbaum [supposedly a transfer target of Feyenoord.] I personally would take Omar over Birnbaum every day of the week.

Of course, I'm biased. I think Matt Hedges of FCD is the best MLS-based centerback.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I didn't see the game. Glad to hear that he is progressing in a better league against a higher quality opposition. Now, that the new Liga MX foreign player rules render his Mexican citizenship irrelevant, I hope he will interest clubs in the higher quality leagues. And takes another step up in play.

BTW, as I am a 3-5-2/3-4-3 formation fan when it comes to the current US talent distribution, a backline of Cameron-Gonzalez-Brooks would give the US a considerable height advantage on set-pieces. It would also move FabJ and DAY further upfield where their skills would come in quite handy. Birnbaum and Besler could provide depth centrally while Cameron, Chandler and Bedoya could could do likewise out wide.

But thanks for being paranoiacly sensitive with regards to Gonzo. The tinfoil hat is on me.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Giving you some crap is not the same as paranoia in the English language I know and love, but I appreciate the post otherwise.

18. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Klinsmann is a lot like Osorio in that sense. Only person he seems to have made an exception for is Layun who feels a lot more comfortable on the left wing.

19. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Might be a little too risky to have Omar or Medina play as left center back. Medina is faster than both but he hasn't played CB at all this season. Alonso might change his mind but I think aquivaldo is the safer choice.

Really the biggest issue is that our defensive mid is also super slow. Maybe we'll see a different formation this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    alright guys, 10 minutes to go!!!

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts in the final match:
    [​IMG]

LouisianaViking07/09 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    didn't Bale trademark that whole Heart with your hands thing?

23. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Bale can kiss my heart shaped ass...

[​IMG]

Winoman repped this.
  24. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Terrible first half. Defense is shook as fuck. We're lucky this isn't 4-0 right now. It will be though, if they don't change something.

beat junky repped this.
  25. COMUS

COMUS New Member

Apr 27, 2016
    That red was exactly why i said i was worried about Omar / Aquivaldo pairing, he didnt have the speed to cover Omar like Murillo.
    The left side Aquivaldo, Garcia, Lozano was getting killer the whole 1st half, so many opportunties.
    Pizarro Guti Manny Garcia and Medina got into Monterreys half maybe 5 times the whole first half combined lol.