Omaha USL?

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by SoccerPrime, Sep 12, 2009.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No surprise, Wilt mentioned Omaha as a prime pro soccer city in his famous "pro-rel can work manifesto".

2. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    In the video interview, the reporter says he has been working the story of pro soccer coming to Omaha since December and has contacted 40 sources, including Gary Green directly.

One of the interesting tidbits in the interview is that Sporting KC is not interested in moving the Swope Park Rangers. Since Omaha has the KC Royals AAA baseball team (for almost 50 years) and held some games for the old KC Kings NBA team in the 1970s, it seemed like hosting the Sporting KC d2 team in Omaha would be a good fit and also boost local interest in Sporting KC. The team could practice in KC all week, drive up for the match (3 hours), and head home.

SPR's attendance has been bad (3rd worst this season at 909 avg. through 6 matches ) and a move to Omaha could boost that. But Sporting KC is not interested in SPR leaving town.

The lead investor of the Omaha's USL effort is involved in 2 AAA baseball teams and likes that model. He prefers to be an MLS affiliate. Could he be interested in Minnesota Utd's d2 team? Would MNU be interested in Omaha?

However, the SSS requirement of d2 could be difficult. Omaha has several arenas that are "underperforming" and taxpayers will be slow to pony up for a SSS.

3. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good enough for me

5. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This is not directly related to a USL franchise, but it does give some more perspective on the city.

New York based Resonance Consultancy Inc. recently rated Omaha as the 4th best city with population under 1 million. Honolulu was #1, Tucson #2, Charleston SC #3.

Omaha ranked "No. 1 in the category of prosperity...fourth and fifth, respectively, in the subcategories of culinary and nightlife. The result is a curated waterfront, robust public art and a resilient downtown boasting some of the Midwest’s most impressive restaurants and nightlife, getting more diverse with every Old Market District opening.”

"The overall model for the ranking was an analysis of key factors that Mobile Millennials — Americans aged 20 to 36 who have traveled in the past year — consider to be most important in choosing a city to live or visit.”

Since some people consider Omaha "a poor man's Peoria", this analysis might change that perception.

http://www.omaha.com/columnists/kel...cle_07f01697-7020-5165-930d-bb0a06eb37de.html

here is a video summary:

8. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'll put this here even though it's focus is the NISA. I infer that it means some initial paperwork has been filed even though, since there is still not a lead investor, this team can't yet happen. (Although maybe they have one lined up and will reveal him/her at a later time?)

From this morning's Omaha newspaper:
    "...the National Independent Soccer Association, announced Wednesday that teams in eight cities including Omaha have applied to play in the league’s inaugural season in 2018 or 2019....Other markets applying for membership are Charlotte, North Carolina; Chattanooga, Tennessee; a to-be-determined city in Connecticut; Miami, Florida; Milwaukee; Phoenix; and St. Louis. According to the league, investors in seven other markets have signed letters of intent to play in 2019."

The NISA website has more information:
    http://www.nisaofficial.com/2017/08...-for-new-us-pro-third-division-soccer-league/

They say they also have letters of intent from 15 markets and have been in discussion with 30 other markets. It's strange that 4 of the 8 cities listed as having applied already have division 2 teams.

How does this news relate to the USL and Omaha?

The fact that this NISA effort has taken a step forward might nudge the local AAA baseball owner who has been in contact with the USL to speed up his efforts. I'd rather there be a d-2 USL team playing Kansas City, Oklahoma City, St. Louis than a d-3 start up league playing Chattanooga, Connecticut, Miami.

Blando13 repped this.
  9. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    To finish my question above about NISA putting teams in other d-2 markets, I found an interesting quote from Peter Wilt at Midfield Press:

“In each case we believe that a separate, sustainable audience can be developed due to geography, demographics and/or effective business operations. Long term we recognize that our goal of promotion and relegation will result in multiple teams in the same market, so we won’t shy away from it now.”

http://midfieldpress.com/2017/08/30...-initial-batch-of-nisa-pro-soccer-applicants/

The CEO of MiamiFC tweeted:
    "Great news from our neighbors! Looking forward to working together under the right model"

*note: is it time for Big Soccer to start an NISA board or maybe a d-3 board? I see there is a thread for NISA on the NASL board. I'll post any future NISA comments there.

10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't bet against PW.

Hope this league works.

11. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if Omaha joined the USL at the (new) D3 level, the Menace are in serious talks about moving up. A DM-Omaha derby would be outstanding. It has to be better than what the NISL is offering in terms of opponents.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the way to build a community following: have your players absent every day except on gamedays.

13. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not directly related to USL expansion but an interesting "read" on the soccer-readiness of the Omaha market:

Last night Creighton University played at Univ Neb Omaha in front of nearly 5,000. Both teams were rated (barely) in the NCAA top 25. (At different times both have been in the top 10 this season.) Creighton won in the 78' minute.

There is a brief youtube video that gives a sense of the atmosphere.

I haven't heard anything new about either USL or NISA. I assume USL 2019 is still likely.

14. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Interesting details from the 3 articles in the Omaha newspaper today about the Creighton v. UNO match.

The match was sold out. However after kickoff there was still a huge line waiting to get in. The ticket scanners weren't fast enough to keep up. So the UN-Omaha Athletic Director Trev Alberts made the decision to just open up the gates and let everyone in for free.

Quoting from the paper:
    "Tickets or not, he wasn’t going to watch the biggest soccer crowd in UNO history watch the first half from outside the gates. It was a perfect call on a perfect night that showed how far soccer has come in Omaha.

"The bleachers were packed. About 1,000 more fans sat on the east hillside, or ringed the field along the rope line, or watched from outside the chain-link fence, or atop the parking garage. Official attendance was 4,986, but unofficially a UNO official estimated it was closer to 6,000, split almost evenly (between the schools)"

Trev gave up some game day revenue to turn those who came out of curiosity into future UNO fans.

15. JoelAC

JoelAC New Member

Roma
    Oct 29, 2017
    Has anyone considered starting up a club without Gary Green/his investors?

Green seems like he couldn't care less about soccer and is really just here for the investment and portfolio opportunity. He's openly said things like he knows "little to nothing about soccer" and he won't do this if he cannot connect the team with the MLS. From what I understand the USL also wants teams in soccer specific stadiums by 2020 and would like expansion teams in soccer specific stadiums. Where would a third stadium even go in Omaha?

If there is enough energy and passion around the city as people think maybe this could be done by supporters and locals coming together and building something like an NPSL squad and eventually moving to higher divisions? Sorry this was a bit scattered, but just thoughts I've had recently. Would love to get a club here and get a club that is for this city.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I believe the people Wilt is talking to are not Gary Green but thats NISA not USL2.

17. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I am hoping after the soccer seasons end we might get some more information. There are some questions up in the air right now.

1.) What is happening in the USL with the MLS2 teams that have been rumored to be set aside because of division 2 requirements? Is the USL going to push (to the degree they can) the poorly attended MLS2 teams to use the hybrid model (ie. Rio G. Valley/ Houston). That's the model that Gary Green (with 2 AAA baseball teams) is most comfortable with: "You guys take care of the soccer; we take care of the business".

2.) What's happening with USSF/NASL lawsuit? How will that affect NISA d3 league? I can't imagine any potential investors will sign on until that it clear.

3.) What are Gary Green's plans? I think the ball is in his court. It's hard to imagine anyone will challenge him with the advantages that he already has: the AAA organization (marketing, sales, admin, etc.) and his contract with Werner Park. But if Green communicates that he is not going forward, then market is open to others.

If he doesn't want to play at Morrison (Creighton) or Caniglia (UNOmaha), there is room in the parking area at Werner to put a modular SSS. Sarpy County has been generous to a fault with his team so far.

An interesting "curve ball" is that Werner Park is only 2.5 miles from the new $125 million Multisports Complex that is to open fall 2018.
    There is already going to be 12 soccer fields out there; maybe they put a modular SSS out there that can be stepped up to d2 specifications when needed? If there is $$$ in it for the agency developing the complex, I'll bet they listen! There's a lot of nervousness that the math isn't adding up so far.

I like the idea of starting small (PDL with local college players) and then stepping up a division every few years as the organization and fan base grows.

18. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well this is interesting...
    Swope Park to change stadiums in 2018

https://www.soctakes.com/2017/11/10/swope-park-change-stadiums-2018/

Their team was great, but their attendance was poor (1015 avg, 36th out of 38 d2 teams). And apparently the facility leaves something to be desired by d2 standards. I hope they don't play at Children's Mercy Park-- the few fans will get swallowed up by all the empty seats and will make for a bad atmosphere.

Is there another place to play in KC? Would they spend $millions to develop a d2 stadium at their new training center?

I don't have any inside info, but if USL is pressuring the MLS2 teams to meet d2 standards, it could be time for a trip to Omaha (like S2 to Tacoma). Renting a bus is cheaper than building a d2 stadium.

However, that does goes against what they have stated as their vision for player development- ie, keeping everyone together. It's interesting to see what will happen. If SPR does move, it will show how much leverage the USL has over the MLS2 teams.

19. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How's that? If the Rangers train at Swope Park with the first team, and bus to the home games, what's the problem? A 2 1/2 hr ride is long, but totally doable for 15 home games.

If Omaha needs to partner in a hybrid model, ala Reno and RGV, in order to make it financially viable (a point too many hybrid naysayers miss), that is good for Omaha. They get a pro soccer team.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the goal is increased attendance, you don’t exactly connect with the community in Omaha by having a bunch of mercenaries drop-shipped in once every two weeks for games. Not being available for community appearances or for the local media to come to training and connect with the team eliminates a major reason teams matter to a market.

21. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And you don’t think that’s an insurmountable obstacle?

I’m not saying it’s best case, but if it’s hybrid or bust, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. You hold some practices in Omaha, you schedule community days for the players and drive em down. I’ve seen the SRFC player schedule. It could be doable, imo

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you rephrase your question? It’s confusing.

It’s not about hybrid. RGV is hybrid. But their players are there.

I know Omaha is the latest New Hot Chick that everyone seems to think will be a jewel, but Omahans cannot be so different that the best practices for selling tickets get thrown out the window.

You’re already saying, “Hey this is a team of serfs,” but to also say, “They’re not even really going to crash on the ouch here” is putting two strikes against them.

If - as the premise seems to be - you want them to draw better than they have done in Swope Park, this is not the way to do it. Bus them the other way occasionally to train with the first team, then. It’s not like there’s this regular pipeline between the two.

If I’m trying to sell tickets in Omaha - and I have actually sold tickets - and you tell me I don’t have access to any teamside personnel except occasionally, I am going to say good luck to you and go work somewhere else.

We’re not trying to stage a home here just long enough for it to sell. You want to make a team matter to a community, it can’t just be guys who show up now and then.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  23. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It seems that USL and MLS2 came together in a sort of “marriage of convenience” a few years ago. But now we see the tension between the D2 business aspirations of USL and the player development aspirations of MLS2.

For SPR it was a great year: their team was the 2nd best out of 30- a great opportunity to develop players. For USL, it was not such a great year: SPR had poor attendance (28th worst out of 30) and a substandard stadium.

SKC wants their D2 and D1 players training together. USL wants to be a legit D2 league. So which will prevail?

If the USL prevails, SPR relocates to Omaha or somewhere similar and strives to become a proper D2 operation: better stadium, better attendance, etc.

If SKC prevails, maybe they move SPR to Children’s Mercy Park to fulfill D2 stadium requirements. (Then maybe they join USL D3 next year and go back to Swope Park?)
    (...or...as a forced compromise, SPR plays in the T-Bones baseball park down the road from Children’s Mercy? They can wear KC Wizards throwback kits. Naww, they’d just stay in Children’s Mercy.)

Here is an interesting quote from a FourFourTwo story on the move of the NWSL FC Kansas City to Salt Lake:

“Sporting was always thought to be reticent to take over its region’s NWSL team before all matters were settled with its own USL club, Swope Park Rangers, including plans for that team’s long-term home. With Rangers still in need of solutions on that end, Sporting may never have had space to take on a new challenge.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/feat...-fc-kansas-city-nwsl-relocation-news-analysis

Must be some very interesting conversations between USL and SPR.

PS. Omaha feels very flattered to be called "The New Hot Chick". But Midwestern modesty compels us to admit we're more like "good marriage material".

aetraxx7 repped this.
  24. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    I don't doubt that USL wants their teams to have better attendance, but I suspect this is more about the fact that Swope Park stadium does not meet USSF Division 2 standards. Apparently USSF is being prickly about this and not granting waivers because of the NASL case, and the size of the Swope Park stadium would have otherwise required a waiver.

GalaxyKoa and Zoidberg repped this.
  25. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    Should Omaha try NPSL, UPSL or PDL before stepping up to USL?