Omaha USL?

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by SoccerPrime, Sep 12, 2009.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone from the Omaha out there? I was looking at Creighton's Morrison Stadium and thought "what a great place for a USL pro team?".

I looked up some stats on Omaha. There's estimated 438,646 people in the city proper, 837,925 in the metro. That's a lot of people.

Economy? Guess who claim's the city as hometown? Billionaire Warren Buffett. Wiki says "Omaha ranks eighth among the nation's 50 largest cities in both per-capita billionaires and Fortune 500 companies".

And take a look at this cool stadium?

[​IMG]

Any thoughts?

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an awesome little stadium.

3. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhere in some thread on here I've seen a pic of the downtown skyline from field level at that stadium. It really is sweet.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I've thought for years that Omaha would be a great USL-1 market and that Creighton's stadium would make a perfect place to play.

If you could add like Tulsa and Des Moines and another Midwest city (bring back Milwaukee, per se) to Minneapolis, you'd have a nice little Central Division with decent rivalries and relatively cheap travel costs for both teams and fans.

5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Bring back the Roughnecks

davideinstein repped this.
  6. kahkakew

kahkakew Red Card

Jun 7, 2009
    Indian Country
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sounds like a viable market with history in the game..USL needs to expand westwards...

7. jaggdd

jaggdd Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a little concept art to fan the Flames (so to speak)... What if the Omaha FC supporters group/development academy gets together with a venture capitalist to launch a top-flight men's pro team in USL? I brought back the old Omaha Flames name and colors and give you, The Omaha FC Flames...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. sconnie101

sconnie101 New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Madison / Omaha
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, here are a few more pictures of Morrison Stadium for you guys. (One with the skyline in the background, just for violetcrown ;)). I actually go to Creighton University, these were the best pictures I could find, the arial one is good, but I feel like I could take better ones of the main grandstand and I could even get some pictures from field level, but that's for another day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, as you guys already said, its a great stadium perfect for USL-1. The main grandstand is chairback only and fully covered. It has suites and a pressbox, as well as a video scoreboard. It is listed with a capacity of 6,000 but with the grass berm and standing room could actually accomodate closer to 8,000.

Also, although i know most of you hate it, it has field turf. That being said, the turf is probably a positive because that helps ease fears of wear and tear from overuse.

That leads me to Omaha's viability as a USL-1 market. As SoccerPrime noted, it is a good sized market. It's also i financially stable one. Most of all, however, it is one that supports soccer. Creighton University mens soccer ranked second in the nation in attendance last year and is poised to move into first this season. (last week against Missouri State the official attendance recorded 5,609) Also, for as large of a metro as it is, it doesn't have any professional teams other than the Omaha Beef of Arena Football. Competition probably wouldn't be an issue.

The problems are if there is anyone with money willing to back a USL-1 team here, and if Creighton University would be open to sharing their beloved Morrison Stadium, even if rent was payed.

9. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice very nice.

Sounds like its the Universitie's potential cock/stadium block and the lack of an ownership group, and little else, that has kept Omaha in the shadows as a potential USL-1 expansion frontrunner.

10. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's a sweet looking stadium.

11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    250 more of them and the USA could actually become a soccer nation

12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    With 250 more of them the USA could actually become a soccer nation

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With 250 more of them, the USA would be a soccer nation. Not just 'could become'.

Hell, with just 20 more of them, we'd be in awesome shape.

14. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I wish we had at least one them in the Dom Rep

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Equivalents = Rochester, Lochart, Nat'l Sports Stadium, Creighton, STLU, Cary, ReMax Atlanta, Uihlein (Milwaukee), Germanton MD...

Battery < Rio Tinto, HDC, PHP, RB Arena, Toyota Park, Crew Stadium, Dick.

So there is 16. We doing any better?

16. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Key word is 'more'. While I wasn't being specific, I was meaning 20 more than we already have.

And, yeah, looking back to where we were before we had the 16 that you list, I'd say that we're doing a lot better than we were then.

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that the Des Moines guys were talking about putting a team in Omaha, but that never got off the ground.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure the only city the Des Moines (Menace) guys were trying to put a team in is Des Moines. ;)

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me. We spoke about it for a few hours back in 2002.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Menace couldn't even get their own pro team and stadium off the ground. Why would they want to place a team in Omaha? Of course, this is pro minor league soccer in America, so I am sure it makes logical sense. :rolleyes:

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Cum and Go guys donated a ton of money to Creighton and they thought it was a better market than Des Moines.

22. alt(bayern)münchen

Apr 1, 2005
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CREIGHTON coach Bob Warming has said in the past that the University wanted another Soccer tenant in the Stadium...

USL would only overlap with the CU Soccer season for a couple of weekends in early Fall! Easily accommodated...

There are some people here in Omaha who are actively looking to put a USL team into Morrison Stadium...:)

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be looking at NASL instead.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With St Louis in NASL, yeah, NASL sounds better for Omaha.

25. alt(bayern)münchen

Apr 1, 2005
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... that battle needs to be sorted...