Olympics - Rio 2016

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Aug 9, 2016.

1. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    US women's keeper just let the ball go right through her legs on a free kick. School yard keeping and the US is now down 1-0 to Columbia as they play in that wonderful arena in Manaus. I think this is the fifth match to be played in that arena in the last four years. What a waste of Brazilian money.

3. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. will get eliminated in the QF if they play the way they did against Colombia.

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They have only conceded the one goal in three matches so far and that was a keeper blunder. I'm not sure any of the teams in this tournament will score on them.

5. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two goals mate. They gave up another one on a set piece in the last minute.

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Didn't watch the end of the match.

7. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There is only one person for whom I'd switch the TV channel to the Olympics, Usain Bolt! A machine in flesh and blood, practising the most universal sport there is. What an athlete! I wished we had someone like him in football.

I don't care about the rest, congratulations for being the best at something 99.99% of the human race doesn't give a shit about I guess.

8. Rinus127

Rinus127 Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Although in soccer we have trouble to produce great players , as in other sports we have beautiful headliners these days : Max Verstappen, Dafne Schippers , Ranomi Kromowidjojo , Tom Dumoulin, etc . Spain has experienced a similar period with the emergence of Nadal, Fernando Alonso, Pau Gasol , Contador etc , at the same time . But in football too , they had extraordinary guys Xavi , Iniesta , Torres, Villa. So I think that we will soon have new Cruyff, Van Basten and Bergkamp .:)

9. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Phelps has more gold medals than Argentina and Jamaica combined in their entire history. Unbelievable statistic.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I prefer the decathlon as the measure of the best athlete. Bolt can run fast but can he hurdle, jump, throw and vault well enough to contend?

11. Rinus127

Rinus127 Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Tom Dumoulin has obtained a silver medal . I 'm a bit disappointed but congratulations .

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Our neighbor, Katie Ledecky, won her second gold in the 200 M freestyle last night!!!

13. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    For Women soccer, here are QF matches: Brazil-Autralia, USA-Sweden, Canada-France, Germany-China. IMHO the gold is USA to lose. Final 4 predictions: Brazil, USA, Canada, Germany.

For men, Brazil is on the verge of failing to advance, which made the headline in Brazil as they hope to win gold badly. Argentina is also out after tie with Honduras which advances together with Portugal. When is the last time Netherlands qualify for Olympic soccer?

Michael Phelps is the greatest Olympian athlete IMO. 25 medals with 21 golds and counting. Unbelievable! Besides soccer, swimming, volleyball, basketball is also exciting to watch.

14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    If Phelps was a nation then he would be 39th of in the all-time medal table.

I'd wish Dutch swimming was as well funded as USA swimming...

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    US mens volleyball team may also crash out as they have lost both their matches in the pool competition. They have been a top four team for the past eight years.

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Keko repped this.
  17. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Simply put: medals can be bought. The Australian government alone has invested 26 million euros in top level swimming the past 4 years. The full Dutch NOC 4 to 4.5 million at best over 4 years... and that number also includes contributions by businesses etcetera so difficult to say how much the government has contributed.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/a32d1aa0e9b5dcbec90642f423658c23
    http://www.volkskrant.nl/sport/zeilen-krijgt-meeste-geld-van-noc-nsf~a3358193/

Australia is also one of the top dogs at WADA their black list, which signals they are on the edge of what is allowed.

18. What I wonder though is what is in it for a country to spend that much to win a medal (or two). The Old days Commu countries spent alot to prove the "superiority" of their political system, but that is hardly imaginable for a country like Australia. I guess ( donot know it) that the US gouvernment doesnot spend money on it.

19. #20 feyenoordsoccerfan, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    How long until they, following the EPL examples, bribe parents of high potential soccer kids to become Quatarians.
    If you spend a few billions on an EPL club, that kind of money is enough to lure parents to join them. Just imagine spending it on about 20-30 high profile kids of around 12-16 years old. You can then end up with a damn good team in 2022!
    2-3 billions means per kid 100 million. That's peanuts for them.
    For that kind of money I guess even Moroccon and Turkish parents forget about their roots.
    And if they in some way secure the transfer rights, it will be even a fraction of the initial investment.
    Come to think about it...why arenot we going to do it?

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Correct, the US government does not spend any money supporting athletics. The various sports federations do reveive money both from the parent Olympic company and corporate sponsors. This money is used to set up training facilities and some of the sports have more money than others. Most of this goes to team sports (the US women's field hockey team which is undefeated in the Olympics right now has a nice training facility up in Pennsylvania). Individual sports (swimming, track, gymnastics, etc.) rely on the athlete to get sponsorship money. Elite athletes can get money through endorsements but they lose their amateur status which means they cannot compete for their university team. Michael Phelps dropped out of University of Michigan after one year so he could train and receive sponsorship money. Most of the swimmers are not professional.

Some track athletes get a lot so support from their shoe company sponsor but those in lesser events do not. One of the American javelin throwers on the Olympic team pays his own way and he said the most he has received in the last 10 years was $3K.

21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #22 PuckVanHeel, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    I have not a complete overview but the US government does it mostly indirectly. Think about the infamous stadium subsidies (5 billion), the subsidies and tax exemptions for universities, federal grants to students andsoforth. Also, the USOC and the sports bodies are exempt from paying taxes; this are corporate entities. You can argue that this are subsidies by the backdoor, while other nations (e.g. Australia) do it by the front door. They also receive a good share of the domestic television rights and 10% from the IOC broadcasting revenues. That is where the US government is again a major help, because most NOCs receive nothing.

That being said, the market is naturally so rich and huge (with a huge overseas market) that this naturally attracts private/corporate funds and expertise.

edit: 20% of the IOC sponsorship revenues flows to USOC as well (called 'global marketing revenues'). This is more than all other 204 NOCs combined ( !!! ).

22. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/05/07/ncaa-finances-subsidies/2142443/

Bingo.

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    @PuckVanHeel - yes you are correct about the indirect subsidies because of the tax code. Also, some universities receive a lot of money from donors that go into building athletic facilities. The founder of Nike has given a lot of money to the University of Oregon. There are other examples as well. University athletes can receive scholarships to attend the school but cannot be directly paid since the universities want their athletes to remain "amateurs." That may change as the NCAA has been sued by several athletes for using images in advertising. Ed O'Bannon, a former UCLA basketball player, has won a preliminary law suit but I believe it is being appealed by the NCAA.

Even so, only high profile athletes receive direct support. Of course there are a number of sports where athletes (both men and women) all compete in professional leagues (football/soccer, basketball, volleyball, water polo) and do not need government support to continue their sporting career.

24. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Stadium subsidies for NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL between 1990 and 2010 have been researched. It accrues to a total of 20 billion at a minimum, paid by the government.

Universities with big athletic programmes tend to have more students receiving federal grants (for ex. Pell grants) than the students not enrolled in college athletics. This feels very logical but in many countries quasi full-time athletes are not regarded as 'real' students.

I don't have a full overview (as said above) but this are a few of the things taking place.

Yes, there is more of a charity culture in USA than in many European states. However it is also simply smart business by Nike... As I say the prosperous and huge market of USA (an overseas market as well) naturally attracts private funds and expertise. Provided they're equal talents it is more enticing to invest in an American/British prospect than a Polish prospect. With everything else being equal that is what happens.

Like I said, USOC has also a very favorable deal with the IOC.