Olympics Overview Discussion

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kernel_thai, Jul 21, 2016.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    General discussion of Olympic Woman's soccer as opposed to to individual match discussion

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So poking thru the broadcast schedule it seems all the US group matches will be on NBCSN, a dedicate soccer channel and streamed. All woman's group matches will be August 3, 6 & 9. All the matches will be streamed and appear on the dedicated soccer channel

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Alro White and Kate Markgraf will be doing the US matches

4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Bleed Blue

Bleed Blue Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are some links and info for watching the Olympics online (courtesy of a user from a volleyball forum).

Some articles on using VPNs to watch CBC and BBC coverage of the Olympics (free streaming):
    www.howtogeek.com/182666/how-to-watch-the-olympics-online-without-a-cable-subscription/
    siliconangle.com/blog/2016/07/12/how-to-live-stream-all-the-events-from-the-2016-rio-olympics-on-iphone-android-roku-more/
    https://www.groundedreason.com/watch-olympics-online-without-cable/

Sling TV now carries NBCSN (and NBC) in their Sling Blue 40+ Channels package ($25/mo):
    www.sling.com/

No contract, so you can cancel and switch to the Orange package ($20/mo), which includes ESPN and ESPN2 (when the college season begins). You can get both the Orange and Blue packages ($40/mo). You can also add the Sports Extra ($5/mo), which includes ESPNU, ESPNews, and the SECNetwork (but no Pac-12Net, boo hoo). The Orange package lets you stream to only one device. 7-day free trial.

NBCSN, NBC, USA, and Bravo are in Sling TV's Blue package ($25/mo).
    MSNBC and CNBC are in the Blue package's World News Extra package ($5/mo).
    The Golf Channel will carry Olympics golf coverage - it is in the Blue package's Sports Extra package ($5/mo).

Best of all, prepay 3 months and get a free Roku 2 ($69.99 value), which includes Sling TV as an app - I need to replace my old Roku HD, so I ordered this today (they used to offer a free Roku Streaming Stick, a $49.99 value). Shipping is free.

You also have the option of 50% off a Roku 3 (reg. $99.99). At the Sling TV site, just scroll to the bottom and click "FREE Roku 2". You can also get Apple TV for $89 (reg. $129).

They charged me $74.99 for the first three months of the Blue package - I get the Roku 2 for free (a $69.99 value). To me, the extra features of the Roku 3 aren't important (headphone jack, voice control, etc.). The Roku 4 is primarily aimed at users with 4K Ultra HD. I wanted to replace my old Roku HD anyway, so basically I'm getting the first three months for $5. I can cancel after the three months, or I can switch to the Orange package, which includes ESPN and ESPN2, and ESPNU, ESPNews, and SECNet in its Sports Extra package ($5/mo). They charge for full months (no prorating).

Here's a full comparison of the features for the different Rokus:
    www.roku.com/products/compare

As of now, anyway, you cannot use your Sling TV credentials to log into NBC Sports Live Extra and stream live events. You can run Sling TV on your laptop, tablet, and mobile phone - the Blue package lets you view Sling TV streams on up to three devices, so you could be watching NBCSN, your wife Lifetime, and your kid the Cartoon Network (the Orange package is limited to one stream/one device).

The Blue Package gives you access to any coverage on NBC and NBCSN. Living in Seattle, in 2012 I was getting even NBC's "live" primetime coverage delayed three hours - Sling will eliminate that.

The Blue package's World News Extra package ($5/mo) gives you access to CNBC and MSNBC, which also have Olympics coverage. Two other sports channels are included: FS1 and FS2.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So I take it u have Sling....How do u like it? Is is stable stream or do u have to restart? If u cant get Live Extra I assume u cant get ESPN3 either based on just having Sling account?

7. Bleed Blue

Bleed Blue Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 Bleed Blue, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Actually, you can watch ESPN3 directly from their website:
    http://espn.go.com/watchespn/#
    You only need login with your SlingTV subscription info.

I don't have the SlingTV subscription yet, but I intend on signing up in a week.
    I copied the info above from a thread of a volleyball forum, which I'm a member of.
    I do intend on getting SlingTV for the Olympics, though.
    I intend getting a discounted Roku device as well.

The other option is watching free streaming available in other countries using a VPN or SmartDNS.
    The article below describes how to use SmartDNS to view BBC and CBC streams:
    Watch the Olympics Online Without Cable
    Personally, I use a nice little add-on in my Google Chrome browser called "HOLA" which allows you to change your IP address to show any country in the world. It's an unlimited, free VPN.

8. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    In 2008 and 2012 gane streams were viewable live on the NBC Olympics official website. Would prefer to just do this again, rather than dealing with Roku/Sling, etc. And all the 2012 games appeared archived shortly after on the Olympic YouTube page.

9. Bleed Blue

Bleed Blue Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you're right. However, I remember in 2012 that NBC started this new thing were you could watch an Olympic event for about an hour (as a teaser) and then asked for your login info (forcing you to buy a subscription).

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Here is the schedule for NBCOympic.com streams. It includes both men's and woman's soccer and has the link to each stream.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/live-stream-schedule/soccer

BrooklynSoccer and Bleed Blue repped this.
  11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  12. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    what, no Foudy? I really like Wagner too, she's more honest than any of them.

13. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foudy is exclusive to ESPN.

sitruc repped this.
  14. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Looking maybe toward the end of the group stage and then looking into the knockout stage would be more of a realistic time for me, and I think [U.S. coach Jill Ellis] feels the same way."

Judging by how politically she phrased this, that seems to be a frighteningly strong possibility.

Starting or even subbing in a player who hasn't played a second of a game in 292, 296, or 299 days in an Olympic quarterfinal, semifinal, or final [respectively] could be risky given the pressure on this team. Unfortunately the alternative in that instance would be conceding that that calf pull has made her spot on the roster a complete waste. And my understanding from @FawcettFan14 's post in the US-Costa Rica forum is that since it would still not be considered a "new injury" using an alternate would not be permitted. A very frustrating situation for all involved.

I really hope she can at least get a few minutes during group play, just to get back in the swing of things and sharpen her instincts. But that might require the U.S. to be in the drivers' seat late in a match, so as to allow Rapinoe to work off the rust without getting forced into dangerous situations that might lead to another setback.

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im not completely convinced u couldnt replace Rapinoe based on the ACL. The purpose of the rule is stop teams dumping players who arent playing well and replacing them with fresh players. In this case Rapinoe is recovering from a substantiated injury that required surgery. Im not sure the fact hat she has been cleared for practice outweighs the fact that she hasnt been able to play in a match since the surgery. The only mitigating factor for me is that the calf injury is being blamed for her current absence. I still think if the US pressed to have her replaced on the roster siting the ACL simply hasnt responded as anticipated, it would be allowed.

16. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    The purpose of the rule is for a team not to be penalized for injuires happening after the selections is made.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  18. Bleed Blue

Bleed Blue Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the tweet:
    "The NZ Women's Football team have completed their #Rio2016 preparation with a 4-1 win over South Africa"

Whoa!
    We defeated S. Africa by a slim 1-0 margin.
    Does that mean the USWNT could seriously get beat in the first pool play match?
    Talk about a humbling possibility.

19. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    It's always a possibility, but not much of a probability. Looking at the USA v SA--the USA looked like they were trying to do some things with defensive spacing and after getting the ball back during that game. South Africa played very well, but I think our ladies were muzzled and not "on" for the match. I don't see those constraints in place during the Olympic group games.

20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like you may not have watched the 2008 Olympics.

In any case, its usually unwise to compare across games like that. Moreover, if the USWNT had been a bit sharper, the South Africa game would have ended with more than one goal, not to discount at all the excellent game that South Africa put together.

Not to say that it couldn't happen, but I don't think its likely. As far as group play, I'm much more worried about the France game TBH.

21. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    yes.

always yes.
    this is soccer.
    it happens.
    repeatedly.

...but i'm not expecting it.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    What is surprising for me on the NZ v.RSA is NZ putting 4 goals on them. NZ doesnt usually score a lot of goals outside Oceania.

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    New Zealand worries me more than France. We tend to do better against better known opponents, New Zealand has a developing tradition of organization and fitness, and it is the first game...

24. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    true.

first games can be tricky.

if not for solo's heroics, we could have been in more trouble against australia last year.

25. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    The US does seem to thrive more in the open back and forth style match typically encountered against higher ranked opponents (sans England). Clogged defensive thirds have had a tendency to stymie and fluster the USWNT at times.