Olympics 2016 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It makes sense for a striker to be a bit hot-headed--with an insatiable desire to score and win. But hot-headedness isn't ideal in a captain. A player can be a leader, though, particularly of their sector of the field--be it attack, midfield or defense--without being the captain. I think this would suit Neymar.

2. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That. Because of his technique, status and charisma, he will always have some degree of leadership among his NT partners, with the armband or not. Let the captain be more of a firefighter figure, if you know what I mean.

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As we discussed before, we lack a veteran on the team that can really "pull the strings", if you will. TS lost control of his emotions, Alves does things his way, which works for him, but other players wouldn't get away with.....

4. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    It seemed that Renato Augusto was the leader.

5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Alves is actually not a bad choice. Veteran leader with a grip on his position who leads with his performances? Could do much worse.

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He's the best option IMO, but not the "ideal" choice.

MerlinRM and MatthausSammer repped this.
  7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This title was cool for what it is, a first gold in the Olympics and at home. As for positives for the senior team going forward, some of the players experienced pressure that they probably haven't experienced before in their careers, not only that but the win came on PKs which were very well taken. So we could have some positive psychological effects from this victory. From an image point of view, I guess the general fan may feel some of the respect for the NT was gained back but we know it has a long way to go.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Nice ! For whatever reason I don't remember football from those Olympics. What I remember the most was the silver medal winning men's vball team with Xando, Bernard, William, Montanaro and some of the track and field. Most notably the Marathon female runner who finished the race almost collapsing from muscle atrophy.

9. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #934 Redshift, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    But as a Palmeirense, please tell me you remember this from 1996:

Velloso; Cafu, Sandro, Cléber e Júnior; Amaral, Flávio Conceição, Djalminha e Rivaldo; Müller e Luizão.

PG J
    V E D GP GC SG %
    83 30 27 2 1 102 19 83 92

I hated loving to watch that team play. It's better than our current Seleção principal. And to think it was taken apart and sold before it could even dispute the Copa do Brasil and Brasileirão... It's genuinely exasperating. We should export our football, not our players.

celito repped this.
  10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Unfortunately I was already gone from Brazil and there wasn't much access to news back then. So I didn't really leave through it, just heard and read about it. With Youtube I've been able to see the goals. Hearing Muller was playing for Palmeiras was weird for me as he was such a big Sao Paulo player.

11. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #936 Redshift, Aug 22, 2016
    Obscenely good... for those who haven't seen that team play:

Certain squads transcend the most bitter rivalries. The only record the Palmeiras team didn't establish during that campaign was being invicto. Somehow, Guarani managed to take three points in Campinas.

Here's one of the best Cor-Pal's I've ever seen:

celito and Emperor Adriano repped this.
  12. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    #937 Brasitusa, Aug 22, 2016
    That idiot lost all four sponsors he had - it is estimated that he lost up to 100 million dollars. That will teach him. I loved the interview with the female judge who nailed him: "He thought he could come to Brazil and do what he wanted, and play with the institutions. Here it is not like this."
    Speedo USA, Ralph Lauren, Airweave and Syneron-Candela dropped their sponsorship contracts with Ryan Lochte

13. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    If he said "“tem que respeitar, aqui é Brasil” most likely it was a German supporter provoking him with the 7-1. I doubt he was talking to Brazilian supporters in spite of the hypothesis put forward by the article. He repeated a couple of times "aqui é Brasil" which makes sense if he was talking to foreigners.

14. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Alvez leads with his performances? Not on the Seleção, where he had always been a liability.

15. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    He was one of the better players under Dunga to be fair.

I personally would like to see Alves make the transition to midfield

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :ROFLMAO: Look who rushed to Alves' defense. I do agree, however. He's been light years better this cycle than last.

Alves is never making that transition. He's already up there in age. His clubs still use him as a RB. We don't have anyone to take a firm grip of the position on the NT. He'll continue to get deployed as a RB.

17. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Disrespectful. He's been the best selecao player by far the past year and a half.

18. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hence the 6th place results? Standing alone, that's not really an argument in his favor.

19. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #944 Emperor Adriano, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    That's why people don't like to represent the selecao. They can perform very good to great and because the team has gotten bad results their contributions and good play don't matter? The team was without Neymar many of those games and Alves was pretty much the lone bright spot. I think it's disrespectful but I tend to side with the players and understand reality , not the pretend fan world. Alves showed a ton of fight and like I said very good play that surprised me. He deserves credit. Your arguement is pretty much he wasn't at the right place at the right time lol. Nothing to do with the play on the pitch.

20. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I was never a fan of Alves until after the 2014 World Cup. If we judge him after that he is a clear world class player by selecao performances. Some of his crossing and deep passing has been borderline magical. He's been better defending too. Very few internationals have performed as consistent as Alves worldwide.

21. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    This is more on Dunga than any one player.

22. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    His NT performance this cycle has arguably been better than his last season at Barcelona. And I would have taken his performance last year with Barcelona in a heartbeat over what he gave us during the 2014 WC cycle.

23. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think his selecao performance was better than his barca performance last year too.

24. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Unfortunately, the day I cannot forget is the real German national team scoring 7 against the real Brasil national team in the WC in the Mineirao. That was really bad. But I was also in Yokohama for the 2002 WC Final. That was really good.

I cannot get too exicited for the Olympic U23 win, since it is really just a glorified youth tournament that most countries take less seriously than the U20 World Cup. Brasil should have won this thing more comfortably, given the relatively weak level of the competition.

25. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You can't get too excited but most of us can and are. Heck the reactions I saw in Brazil were incredible. Brazil finally won a gold at home in a tournament we've never won with much better talents available. This team, talentwise, is below par (besides Neymar) from past teams like the 96 or even 88 one. Winning was never a guarantee.