Olympics 2016 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Mar 30, 2016.

1. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Rodrigo Caio was a DM and played with Lucas Silva in the midfield when this team was being assembled. That 2nd CB position has gone to Doria, Wallace, and someone else(i forgot). Wendell was a starter for a long time. Douglas Costa was not 1st choice. Fabinho was also a starter at the RB spot. You're acting as if these guys have all been playing together for the 2 yrs we've been getting ready for the Olympics.

Sorry Brazil winning gold pissed you off. You sound extremely salty right now.

2. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For the record, I'd say our best U-23 team looks something like, off the top of my head:
    Sanè-----------------------Selke----------------------Brandt
    --------------Dahoud----------------Kimmich---------------
    ----------------------------Weigl-----------------------------------
    Plattenhardt----Süle------Tah--------------------Weiser
    ----------------------------Horn------------------------------------

3. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not salty at all , you just don't know what you are talking about. You can probably teach me about swimming tho when you quit on the team and bragged about it in a match thread. You admit to not watching games and giving up yet we should take you seriously ? When's Danilo starting over Alves ? Caio hasn't been considered as dm in awhile, this was an extremly strong squad and Brazil went all out my point stands. The team had far more preparation and we have better rbs than Fabinho, stop it.

4. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And Doris's garbage ffs.... You wonder why he was beat out

5. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    The European based players that possibly would have been release would not have made that big of an improvement IMO. Wendell is superior to Douglas Santos IMO. Ederson would have been an upgrade as well but we didn't concede until the final so it wasn't necessary. Fabinho was a starter I believe in a couple of games I saw but I don't think the he massively superior to Zeca. Wallace probably would started over Caio though but again the defense was hardly troubled so it's moot point.

6. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Honestly, Germany, Portugal, Nigeria and Argentina was nowhere near full strength. I don't want to play the "what if" game cause on paper and on the field is two different things but it would have been interesting to see how it would of played out.

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  7. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    All I was trying to say pretty much. Saying Brazil wasn't close to full strength shows a strong bias in this forum.

8. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #908 YankBastard, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    They still beat you. You're lucky they choked vs Italy or we'd be hearing more classless Brazilians booing the US during the medal ceremony.

Medal Count........................G S B Total
    1 [​IMG] United States (USA) ......46 37 38 121

13 [​IMG] Brazil (BRA)*............ 7 6 6 19

9. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Lawson, you are failing to realize that we are just happy that we won. We are not delusional about the quality of this team and what it means for the senior team, and we know very well that CBF is a joke and structural problems remain. However, we won a title we were eager to win for decades, at home, in a beautiful celebration.

Ultimately, what is the goal of sports? Winning. Experiencing excitement and pride, sharing this with our fellow supporters. We did that. We had that.

So, we are not about to play this down because of the weak points you (rightly) listed.

Yeah, yeah, they exist. But this time we won, and we are happy. Can we build on this for the future? I don't know. But the future is still in the future. In the present, we won. Allow us to enjoy it, please.

MerlinRM and Redshift repped this.
  10. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You're damn right we are happy to have finally won the Ouro.
    I wish you people could see the electricity in Rio which only increased in double fold after the massacre of Italy 3 sets to zero in Men's volleyball.
    And I am confident that this Gold metal win will carry over into our National team in terms of confidence.
    And now with Dunga gone, and Tite in, things will only get better.
    Eliminatorias are coming up. Let's see how things progress from here.

Brasitusa, MerlinRM and Redshift repped this.
  11. RichCreamy48

RichCreamy48 Member

Jan 9, 2012
    San Diego
    The German players who were missing would have made a significant difference but the Brazilians who were missing wouldn't have? Do all of you follow the German youth teams that closely or is that just based on word of mouth?

MerlinRM repped this.
  12. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Great post. This is exactly how I feel. Crazy to see negativity not 24 hrs after such a win. It may not have been the senior team or the World Cup but we won a title at home. That may never happen again.

Brasitusa repped this.
  13. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It is not wise of you to come to a Brazilian board with a pic of an American athlete celebrating after his team has defeated Brazil. As you said, Team USA choked against Italy, and Brazil swept Italy in 3 sets.

No one in Brazil expected Brazil to outrank the USA in final medal rankings, but that wasn't being alluded to here. You pointed that out because Ivo rightly called you out after Brazil won volleyball gold despite Team USA's victory over Brazil.

Please demonstrate a bit more wisdom. That this is online doesn't mean you shouldn't have a bit of good manners.

15. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #915 Redshift, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    You've said everything I would have said if I had some time in front of the computer. I would just add that my ideal vision of updating our style of play would be less about copying what's happening in UEFA, and would focus more on transforming the Brasilerão into a higher-value league that can retain more locally-developed talent and attract foreign talent. This would allow more innovation and less direct immitation of tactics and playing styles. Obviously, it would have to be a concerted long-term project, and would require favorable external factors unrelated to football (like a resumption of sustained economic growth in Brasil) as well as an initial cross-pollination from Europe.

One other thing I'd point out to those saying that other traditional footballing powers brought B teams because of the discretionary player-release rules for the Olympics:

Brasil was affected by the same rules. Rather than prioritizing the Copa America Centenário, we focused on the Olympics. Barcelona, for instance, would not likely have released Neymar for both tournaments. Since they would have had to release him for a continental championship under FIFA rules, there was leverage for Brasil to say: Neymar won't play in the Copa America, but he wants to be part of the Olympics. This wasn't a costless decision for us. We were eliminated in the first round of the Copa America. Hard to see that happening with Neymar on the team. By the same token, a team like Portugal or Germany could have had an important over 23 player do the same with the Euro if it valued the Olympics as highly. The fact that they didn't just shows their priorities. But they had the option just like we did. And just like us, their depth isn't unlimited. This tradeoff is just another meta level of competition using limited resources at each country's disposal. Nothing wrong with it. And I don't see it as diminishing the achievement.

Brasitusa and benni... repped this.
  16. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Congratulations to the US Olympic team in their best performance at a non-boycotted games in more than a century winning 121 medals during the 17-day competition including 46 Gold.
    And congrats to Brasil for also having their best performance ever including 7 gold, 6 silver and 6 bronze including Gold in the some of the highest profile events.
    And Ryan Lochte, I called you out the day your mother went to the media. I knew you were full of shit from day one - hey dumb ass, don't you know that the first thing the robber will take is your f*cking cell phone??!!
    The Olympics in Rio were a huge success proving the US media is full of shit.
    I wish you all could have been here to see the electricity in the air.
    Sad it's over, and memories I will take to my grave.

17. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oh why don't you shut the f* CK up already. What are you 10 f*ucking years old ?
    @Mengão86 give this ignorant trolling Mother F*ucker a red card.

Mengão86 repped this.
  18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The more you respond the more he likes it. Ignore it.

MerlinRM and IVO ! repped this.
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    [​IMG]

Que dupla, meus amigos! ;)

21. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
  22. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oh come on now. Do you realize what type and amount of pressure this kid is under, especially from asshole fans, that even after everything he did during the Olympics, still trash talk on him.
    He has every right to abafar and put in the face of these asshole fans what he feels about them.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes he is hot headed and thin skinned. He needs to watch out and make sure he doesn't leave his teammates in another situation like CA'15 wether he is a captain or not. However there are some people/media who deserve this. Some of the criticisms they got was unwarranted. Some people in the media after the first 2 games were questioning the players heart which was clearly not the problem.

As acknowledged by him he will not be captain for now.

24. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Tinha que desabafar mesmo, mas realmente não dá pra ser capitão. Tem que chamar alguem cuca fresca pra tentar dar uma segurada nele em jogos mais MMA... Se eu fosse treinador de alguma seleção que fosse enfrentar o Brasil eu faria o possível pra irritar o Neymar também, não é bom ter pontos fracos tão evidentes.

25. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    Exactly, he's a kid. IMO, Renato Augusto was the real Captain of that team.