Olympics 2016 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  2. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't know much about other NT's youth squads but I think we only have to worry about Germany and Argentina for gold.

3. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm more concerned with the African teams!! African teams have long been a thorn in our Olympic side for years!! And let's not please bring up Mexico!!!:devilish: But I do predict we will play for a medal, but we will not win the Gold!!:cry:

4. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Was waiting for this prediction. Thanks bro!! We're going to win the gold :D.

5. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And if that happens on August 23...this die hard Barcelona fan will actually post a pic of me wearing a R. Madrid shirt!!:cry: @celito will never let me live that down!! But then on another note(ignore the angry face):mad:)

:laugh::D @Kaka10725 and @lawsonishere will take a selfie giving a thumps up with an Alisson poster!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Emperor Adriano and MerlinRM repped this.
  6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He also said we will be playing for a medal, so actually we are screwed.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For what ever reason I never really cared about winning Olympic gold. I get more excited winning in volleyball. Probably because I know that the real pinnacle is the World Cup.

8. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yet the Olympics is reason enough to get you fired (see Mano). If Dunga isn't coaching the Olympics, he won't be fired if we fail. And honestly, if Dunga isn't gone by the end of this year, I don't see the point of hiring another coach to put out the fire like Felipao and set themselves up for an even bigger failure.

MerlinRM repped this.
  9. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Also dont forget Luxemburgo was fired after Sydney'00!!

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  10. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar will most likely be the captain of the Olympic team!! And he wont be able to play in the Copa America!!:mad: I mean he would actually have had a month's rest before the Olympics started!!

11. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And Miranda's chances of playing in Rio might be slim, cause if Inter makes it to the Champions League qualifying rounds, they said they wont release him for the Olympics!!

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep. Barca said they won't release him for the CA. I rather him play the CA because it provides more time to gel with the senior team.

13. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree!! Wouldn't it be crazy if we win the Copa without Neymar and lose the Olympics with Neymar??:sick:

14. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I honestly had no idea SA teams were taking this CA so seriously until the back and forth with CBF/Barca and then reading Messi say Argentina looks forward to it.

Wish Neymar could play both because with Dunga's selections/tactics, we gotta hope Costa/Willians/RO can show up for 6-7 matches.

I almost don't want Neymar on the Olympic team just because they have gelled already and him coming in makes it more likely that they will be pressured to pass to him at all costs instead of playing their natural games.

15. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The last time we took an only U23 team without wildcard players was Sydney'00 and we all know how that turned out!! But I value the Copa more than the Olympics, even though there's a potential meeting with Germany in the forecast!!

16. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    My opinion the whole way has been no olympics for Neymar. I think the team can win the olympics without him. I'd be tempted to bring one overage volante and zagueiro but nothing more, I think it shows a lack of confidence on a ton of levels.

MerlinRM and Kaka10725 repped this.
  17. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree, but if Dunga's job is on the line because of it, there's no way Neymar won't play. CBF hasn't even bothered to protect Dunga from that risk. They could easily have Micale coach the squad.

18. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I see Dunga undoing all of Micale good work with the U-23.

MerlinRM repped this.
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Messi playing is no surprise. We all know he loves playing every game and he has yet to win anything with the senior team.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Firing a coach for results based on Olympics (without the full team) is probably the dumbest thing you can think about. But it would be welcome in this case.

I wish Olympics was just U-23.

21. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #21 Mengão86, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    I'm just going off the last time. It's essentially what did Mano in.

22. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And remember what saved Dunga's job after his Olympic failure in Beijing'08 was that right after that WC'10 qualifiers took place only a couple of weeks later, so there was no one in line to step in right away!! Dopey doesn't have that luxury this go around, the next WCQ's are in October!!!

23. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If I'd known everyone was taking it seriously of course its no surprise. But I genuinely assumed it was going to be a Mickey Mouse tourney catering to the American market and that teams would send their B squads. I'm defintely going to try to buy some tickets in Philly/NY/DC now.

I'm sure Argentina is looking forward to it though. Probably the last chance that generation will have to win something.

Hope they lose another final :D

24. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gilmar is making an argument that the European players that will be playing in the Euro will have less rest time than S. American players who would be playing in both the Copa and the Olympics!!

And he's ABSOLUTELY right!! Since we wont be at neither tournament for long anyway!!:(:cry:

25. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The 16 sides will be drawn into four groups of four (named Groups A-D), and the pot allocation for the Men's Olympic Football Tournament is as follows:
    Pot 1: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Japan
    Pot 2: Nigeria, Korea Republic, Honduras, Iraq
    Pot 3: Sweden, Fiji, Portugal, South Africa
    Pot 4: Algeria, Colombia, Denmark, Germany

The women's sides will also be split into four pots, but their allocation to the pots will be based on the FIFA/Coca-Cola Women's World Ranking released on 25 March.
    The 12 sides will be drawn into three groups of four (named Groups E-G), and the pot allocation for the Women's Olympic Football Tournament is as follows:
    Pot 1: Brazil, USA, Germany
    Pot 2: France, Australia, Sweden
    Pot 3: Canada, China PR, New Zealand
    Pot 4: Colombia, South Africa, Zimbabwe