Olympic games - Lisbon 2016[R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: NSR' started by Frank Cunha, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Lisbon will be a candidate for the Olympic games in 2016 or 2020

today the City Hall in Lisbon - gave the Olympic federation land to build a new offices

http://www.record.pt/noticia.asp?id=692059&idCanal=477

with the Expos 98 and Euro 04 success, Team Handball World Cup, with the upcoming U21 European cup and U20 European cup of Basketball, Lisbon will be a strong contender.

2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    here is the article in portuguese

POR UM PERÍODO DE 70 ANOS
    Câmara de Lisboa e COP oficializam cedência de terrenos

A Câmara Municipal de Lisboa (CML) oficializou hoje, em escritura pública, a cedência em direito de superfície do terreno onde está instalada a sede do Comité Olímpico de Portugal (COP).

A cerimónia serviu para a "concretização legal" de um compromisso antigo, passando o COP a usufruir dos terrenos em pleno direito por um período de 70 anos, renovável sucessivamente e salvo "denúncia de qualquer das partes".

"Foi a concretização legal da ocupação do espaço, por cedência gratuita da Câmara, que inclui não só os terrenos da sede, mas também a área circundante", disse o presidente do COP, Vicente Moura.

Vicente Moura sublinhou ainda que este passo permitirá ao COP "melhorar a área envolvente em termos urbanísticos" e que outros espaços, destinados à construção do museu olímpico e de outras instalações, estão em fase de processo, já aprovado pelo executivo camarário.

O presidente da CML, Carmona Rodrigues, desejou, aliás, que o museu esteja construído antes do ano do centenário do COP, quando em 2009 se completar o século de existência do movimento olímpico em Portugal.

Lisboa candidata?

Em foco na cerimónia esteve também a hipótese de Lisboa se candidatar à organização dos Jogos Olímpicos, em 2016 ou 2020, um desejo antigo que Vicente Moura pretende agora levar ao futuro presidente da Junta Metropolitana de Lisboa.

A eleição do novo líder da Junta Metropolitana devia ter-se realizado ontem, mas foi adiada para 19 de Janeiro, por proposta do PSD e com a concordância dos outros partidos.

"Logo após a eleição para a Junta Metropolitana de Lisboa teremos a oportunidade de falar de uma candidatura de Lisboa aos Jogos de 2016 ou 2020", acrescentou Vicente Moura.

A ideia é, porém, encarada com alguma "reserva" por Carmona Rodrigues, o qual reconheceu o sonho do COP e que "Portugal já mostrou qualidade" na organização de grandes eventos desportivos, mas alertou para os estudos prévios necessários a um projecto como o de uma candidatura.

"Em Lisboa, como cidade, não há espaço para os Jogos Olímpicos, mas temos que pensar na área metropolitana. Há um conjunto de equipamentos à altura para a candidatura poder avançar, mas é necessário um estudo preliminar. É precipitado dizer que somos candidatos", disse o presidente da CML.

Data: Quarta-Feira, 21 de Dezembro de 2005 16:51:00

INFORMAÇÃO COMPLETA NA EDIÇÃO IMPRESSA DE Record

3. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    I am against this, just a waste of money, i would love to see it happen but right now we have other priorities.
    We are in a deep economical crisis, already have the TGV and the new airport to be built, so the olympic games would probably put us in "Bancarrota"...

4. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    We can be like Athens and have the Lisbon residents pay insane property taxes for the next 100 years to cover the costs ;)

5. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    nice idea, it would put Lisbon back in the world spotlight, but I don't think that there has been an lympic event that has made money since los angeles in 84. geez, we had a hrad enough time with Euro 04, can youimagine the olympics....hahahaha, the road to hell is paved with good intentions

We have other things to worry about.

6. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Actually...I think you underestimate the economic stimulation that comes from the olympic games. So many foreign companies will be running in to Lisbon, and also foreign lenders who will help out Portuguese companies. All of it translates to more jobs.

There is a bit of a fallout after the olympics, but the renovations still allow the city to increase tourism and retail economic activity in a permanent manner.

7. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Stimulation is only temporary and jobs are temporary.

you forget one thing, foreign companies will run to Lisbon to cash in on contruction contracts. The government has to spit up the cash for the venues, and unless they have public-private partneships, no one will step up to the plate. I don't think the IOC allows corporate involvement, infact i'm pretty sure they don't.
    Having lenders is great, but it all has to be paid back and the economy in portugal is not like it is in NA our in the rest of europe. The cost for upgrade could easily reach the billion dollar mark. look at greece and their olympics.....in the red and they will gt sucked dry for years to come.

The olympic construction will definitely leave a lasting legacy. The olympic villages could easily become low income housing to get rid of the favelas that exist around Lisbon. But convincing the country that costs can be kept under control and taxes will not be increased, will be a hard sell. After euro 2004 and athens olympics.....good luck.

8. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    A good portion of the favela in Lisboa have been eradicated. The Olaias area was full of them about 4 - 6 years ago. Now they are completly gone, in thier place are 10 story building all painted in rainbow colors.lol

Olympic in Portugal would be kind of cool, but I am against it as well, how about we go for the World Cup!

9. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

RonaldoQuaresma88ca New Member

May 9, 2005
    Portugal has been notorious for their grandiose displays, trying to live up to their legacy of the past, that is all but gone. Why not redirect your resources (money), towards policing crime, educating your people, and enhancing your tourism base.

The Euro2004 was successful because it showcased all of Portugal as a whole - Braga, Porto, Guimaraes, Aveiro, Coimbra, Leiria, Lisbon, and the Algarve. Apart from Tourism, many of these urban centres had to rebuild or construct new infrastructure.

But having the city of Lisbon host the Olympics is backward thinking IMHO. Lisbon, a great historial city as it is, and the country of Portugal, are in no shape to host the Olympics. Lisbon will never be a London England, Milan or Rome Italy, Paris France, Madrid Spain, or Frankfurt Germany, etc. It should be content with maintaining its reputation amongst the more humble capitals of Europe...Stockholm's, Athens, Bern's, etc.

Why not wait until your economy is ready to host the Olympics, instead of hosting an Olympics to spark the momentum of your economy. Backward thinking on the part of Portugal.

10. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I say not yet. Get a World Cup it's cheaper :D

11. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Me and Gooddead or on then same page!

12. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Some of you guys are showing your stupidity.

I mean, comon, EVERYBODY knows we're going to invade Spain in 2010.

Sheesh! Finance schminance.

13. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    and throw all thier damn motor scooters into the god damn ocean. We run around with motorBikes...big toys for big boys!

14. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  15. Portugallia

Portugallia BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 9, 2005
    Rather Lisbon host the world cup and invest the money saved in infrastructure, education and the environment.

16. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Well, the money saved would be 100 percent credit, and I dont think any bank is gonna loan out money to invest in infrastructure, education or the environment.

17. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    I would prefer the World Cup. It has more projection (to the masses), it´s more interesting and I think that it would have a larger impact in the country since it´s not restricted to a city (Lisbon as usual).

18. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    You can start a space progam with the kind of money that was wasted on the last Olympic games.

Portugal should direct it's resources to health care and education and not this useless event.

19. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    well I would like to see Olympics in Lisboa, but seriously Portugal has bigger things to worry about, forget about it. Lisboa wont win anyways they will give it to Paris London new york or some other city in a more 'influential' country. (Olympics are all bought off )

the next event Portugal should gun for is....
    THE FIFA WORLD CUP.
    we got the stadiums, although in world cup we will need more 50,000 + stadiums and the problem is Portuguese clubs and their attendances lol couldnt support any more 50,000 + stadia unless it is the big 3 which they already got big stadia.

20. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I think Lisbon already has enough infrastructure for the olympics. Besides stadia, what else is there?

World Cup in Portugal would be amazing, but I get the feeling it would have to be World Cup: Iberia instead of just Portugal

21. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    :eek: There are already to much people that think that Portugal is a Spanish province. I prefer to compete against Spain and if we win, to admire their bad sportsmanship (like in the the Euro 2004).