Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Retires From Football - Testimonial Announced!

Discussion in 'Manchester United: History' started by Alfiesdodgyknee, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Re: Ole Retires

One last time......WHO PUT THE BALL IN ZE GERMANS NET! :( I'll miss you, Ole and Teddy, the way things were meant to be.

2. GrodZilla

GrodZilla Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Re: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Retires From Football

Thank you Ole...

You will always be remebered at this club...

Legend is not a word to be used lightly... but you are a true Manchester United legend and I'm proud to have had you...

3. RedDevilS14

RedDevilS14 New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    NorCal

Thank you for everything, 20LEGEND

4. Shortbloke39

Shortbloke39 New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Copenhagen DK

Solskjaer has always been one of my favourite players and im not a man u fan. I was in a bar in Italy when he scored that last gasp winner v Bayern and i can remember it well. One of the only times i've been glad to see man u win :) Top player. Top bloke. A sad day for you man u fans and a sad day for the prem. Good luck Ole!! You are my sunshine...my only sunshine :p

5. doktor8118

doktor8118 New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Manchester

Utterly saddened by this but it had to come one day. Still almost spit my corn flakes out this morning when I heard it on SSN!

Of all the players to ever grace Old Trafford, I've never heard one person say a bad word about Ole. He's universally loved.

I remember a call-in show on MUTV a couple of years back where people got to ask Ole questions. The amount of people that were like "Oh my God, I'm speaking to Ole" was amazing. He has that effect.

I hope he stays on in a coaching or ambassadorial role cos he is a big part of the history of this club now.

All the best Ole in whatever you do. Thanks for everything.

6. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Lots of players have come and gone at Man Utd over the years. Beckham, Cantona, Keane, Schmeichel etc.

Ole was different. He has shown a different level of greatness over the last 10 years or so. A commitment to the cause the like of which has never been seen before. This is a player whom, during the late 1990's, could have picked and started for any other top 4 side and played every week. But he stook at Man Utd and worked hard so as to earn his money ansd score more crucial goals than I care to remember.

He is arguably the best finisher I've ever seen. So clinical and accurate it's almost impossible to describe.

He has struggled for years with knee injuries. But the character that we all know he had has enabled to to keep fighting. But it appears as though he has finally succumbed to defeat. Unable to fight it any more. At thr age of 34, he might be right. So many players retire early and some play on until they are 40 odd. But Ole has been trajically cut down buy injury.

I will remember this player forever I think. He is a true legend of our time......

7. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

i'm not a man utd fan but i am a lover of football and great footballers.

and solskjaer definitely fitted that description. the guy was clinical to the extreme when he had the goal in his sights.

another great gone.

congratulations on a wonderous career ole gunnar solskjaer.

8. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Legend.

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN

-:(-

10. Ikmal777

Ikmal777 New Member

May 31, 2007
    Malaysia

thanks for the memories...

11. D-Wade

D-Wade New Member

Jun 30, 2007

I just seen this on the news, i feel like crying. Thank you Ole for all the memorys and the 99 champions league.

I'm going back to bed :(

12. omarion1987

omarion1987 New Member

May 10, 2007
    Kuwait

1996-2007 'Baby-Faced Assasin'.... u will be missed... 20LEGEND

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I have a strange feeling he will one day come back and coach Man. United.

14. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004

Thanks for the memories Ole...

15. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State

Sad, sad day.

I am glad that we win the League last year and Ole retires as a Champion.

16. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Sad day. Always like him. All the best.

17. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

No words - just pure sadness.

18. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thank you Ole, for all the great memories. You will be missed. :(

19. Simply Red

Simply Red Member

Feb 15, 2007

It's a sentimental day, but I'm not that sad. I think most of us knew that his playing days were very close to being over but I guess we all also hoped that he would overcome this injury as well and give us one last season. Reports this spring from his national team doctors was that he should retire because his knee was about to get ruined for good. I guess him as well as us has been hoping that even if his chanses were bad that he could make it happen one last time. He has probably now figured out that it would be to big of a risk.

The thing that keeps me from being sad is that he is going to be around for a long time. SAF said even before Keano retired that Ole had the biggest potential of a great manager at our club. And if he doesn't become a manager just yet he'll probably be a coach and ambasedor for us for a while. So in one way or another he is still going stick around.

And in the mean time we can enjoy all the memories. We have had one of the most likeable and modest player in world football for over a decade. I don't know who can be compared to him. He has been a brilliant team player and he has been a brilliant individualist. I'm from Norway and can remember him from his early years in norwegian football as well. Before he went to United he was a nr. 10 for his club Molde and he set up his two other partners with some amazing break through passes on top of all the goals he scored. His understanding of the game was truly brilliant. And we can all remember all the great goals he scored for us. Earlier today I also saw the picture when we were tied 1-1 with Newcastle and he was tracking down Robert Lee who was alone through on goal and when he caught up to him he simply fouled him with a gentele tackle with no possibility of getting the ball. It was one of the clearest red cards you could get, but it was all he could do to at least save one point. It was a brilliant foul and I laugh every time I think of it.

Earlier today he said when he landed at the Manchester airport that this wasn't a sad day for him. I think he's allready set his mind on his next task in football. He is a smart guy, he's as professional as it's possible to be and he is greatly respected by all oppositions fans and players. He has the potential of a great manager and because of his uniqe personality he'll be a great ambasador for football no matter where or as what he ends up doing. Let's just wish him luck with whatever he has decided to pursue next.

Thanks for everything, and good luck in the future!!

20. hope chest

hope chest New Member

Jun 4, 2007
    SF East Bay
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

hats off the the man. yet another old trafford great. he was always the epitome of class and talent and his likes don't come around often enough. it was a shame his knees robbed him of a playing exit, but as would be expected, it was a respectable exit. good luck to you, solskjaer. you were a credit to the game.

21. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Thanks for this Simply Red............

22. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London

Ole was a managers dream. He worked hard in training and was humble and willing enough to abide with limited playing time in order to serve the team. He kept his nose out of trouble and never gave his manager cause to complain. He was probably Man Utd's best super-sub for quite a few years and made an impact on many an occasion. He was a model pro and never showed disrespect to opposing clubs or players. Age and injuries eventually brought his career to an end. His dignity and class off the pitch and his eye for goal on the pitch will not be soon forgotten.

Bravo, Ole, Bravo. :)

23. BusbyBabes

BusbyBabes New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Up North
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

"and Solskjaer has won it!!":D

24. Ronaldo07

Ronaldo07 New Member

Mar 2, 2005

sad day for football as a whole, Ole is one of the nice guys who was not a celebrity but a true footballing legend.

25. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[youtube]xkAz5CT6apM[/youtube]

One of my favorite Solskjaer memories was also against Newcastle. It was during the 2002/03 season and someone (Silvestre?) played a long ball towards Solskjaer. There was only Solskjaer and a Newcastle defender up there and suddenly the defender went down. Solskjaer took the ball in and scored and Newcastle protested. There was never a clear view of what Solsjkaer did to the defender, if anything, and his face betrayed nothing. I always loved that guile.