Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Retires From Football - Testimonial Announced!

Discussion in 'Manchester United: History' started by Alfiesdodgyknee, Aug 27, 2007.

1. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Radbennie

Radbennie Member

Dec 30, 2005
    New Zealand
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Re: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Retires From Football

:(

When I checked skysports and read the artical about the baby face assassin, I almost cried and still at this moment have goosebumps. This is very sad but all we have to do is cherish the great moments he gave to us and..... man I dunno im speechless! Farewell Ole Legend

3. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada

I'm going to have to order his kit now.

4. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica

******** man i was going to get his kit then i changed it to Giggs for some reason

******** ******** ********. im going to buy another one i dont care

ill try see if i can scoop another 99 CL one or at least the 99 prem kit or the treble commemorative one

i just feel crushed right now. a true players player. never griped and whined like half these current kids who want transfers or arent happy being subbed off or on the bench. and yes they are kids Ole is a big man to them. he was selfless when it came to this club and its cause. I fully expect to hear Ole Ole Ole and You are my Solskjaer ringing around OT for years

i wouldnt at all be against them retiring #20

5. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Does anyone know where I can get a bit torrent of the bayern/ man utd 99' game, I really wanna watch it right now!

6. Nathan18

Nathan18 Member

May 24, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  7. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Where will all the RIP THE F*****G HEART OUT OF THE OPPONENTS IN INJURY TIME goals come from?

8. gazza

gazza Member

Dec 15, 2004

That was exactly what I was thinking. I just ordered the new one with Scholes. Now I might get the black with Ole's hero customization. I'd prefer a bit of a more classic with his name and number but I need one now.

9. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005

His final interview - from 10 days ago, when he still was optimistic about playing. :(

Q-n: Do you see yourself playing for any other English team other than United?

Ole: Not really, no. I've bee at United for 12 years and I think in a dream world my last game would be a testimonial for United, after successful season hopefully. :(

[youtube]bbZ8sjAaNko[/youtube]

10. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Surprised and a bit saddened that it happened so quickly. Must have finally had enough of the injuries. It's sad that after all he went through, the final years of his career were so difficult.

Absolutely fantastic player and an incredible finisher. Yes, he scored that goal, but his career was so very much more than that.

Definitely saddened, but this should be a day to celebrate one of the great players in the history of English football and Manchester United.

Thank you, Ole. Thank you for everything. I would not be the same fan without you.

11. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I just came home from work, hoping this new wasn't true...just broke down with tears down my face...Have only broke down a handful of times over united last being the death of bestie...******** this is sad. Keano was the reason i got into this sport..OLE will always be my all time footballing Hero:(

Thank-You
    • 126 League Goals
    • That Debut goal vs Blackburn in 96
    • Making the Scousers Cry in 99
    • The 4 goals vs Forest off the bench
    • The only player to come out against the Glazers
    And so many many many more

but finally Thank-you for giving me the GREATEST memory i will ever have in following MUFC
    [Youtube]h3uXP3s1efA[/Youtube]

12. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

:(:(

[youtube]xGIsJ20hDkw&NR[/youtube]

13. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Thank you Ole.

Thank you so much. People only remember the Bayern goal. But the other 129 goals? What of those huh? The guy was a f**kin legend. He did everything he was asked for. Never complained about sitting on the bench, refused to go to Spurs, etc. We will never see a player like this in the modern game again.

I'm so sad right now. I've been wearing my Ole kit since the news dropped.

14. dan01

dan01 New Member

Aug 19, 2007

Thanks Ole for everything.

You''ll be missed.

Like they say, " A true professional in every sense of the word".

15. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

This is really sad. Soon Gary, Giggsy and Scholesy will leave and that genoration will be over:(

16. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Some how I find it very fitting that our very next match Keano will be present......

Sad to see you go Ole, a true legend at OT....

17. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I can't help but think he did this now becuase he knew he couldn't give 200% to the club physically anymore and it leaves us time to get someone else in for cover. Not only did he score the winner but he was one of the smartest players I have ever seen play. Heartbroken but I understand all the way.

18. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

It is just another example of the selflessness of the player. He was all about the club and this is just another way that he showed it. Not only for his goals, but the way he was willing to take a pay cut, his willingness to go on a pay as you play contract, and his willingness to fight 1000% for everything. He knew the meaning of this club and the value of helping it. This guy, on and off the field, is what all players should aspire to be like. Sadly, none do.

This is hitting me more than Keano leaving.

Thank you, Ole, for the good times.

19. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004

thanks for the memories.

20. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Same here. May not have been as vocal, influential as Keano. But his lack of selfishness - his complete willingness to turn down starting positions at other clubs to continue playing for us - was and will be unmatched.

I'm going to try my damndest to be at his testimonial if possible.

21. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary

That's crazy talk

22. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:( Truly a sad day for Manchester United and football in general.

23. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Nonsense.

Ole was a selfless as they get.

As dominant as Keano was as our captain, he, on the field, kept us back a bit because of an unwillingness to let go of his reigns. He was unwilling to accept the change in style, personnel, and character of our team. I love Keano, but forcing the team to suit him cost us a couple of points here and there.

Then there were the money issues.

But Ole, even at the top of his game, was all about the club. He stayed when he could have gone elsewhere as a #1, like a Rossi. He is not comparable to the guys who stay because being here looks good on their CV (O'Shea, Silvestre, Fletcher). This guy could have started for Barcelona or the like. He was all class. I love that he was one of us.

My favorite displays were actually some of his forays on the flank. The season where he began to displace Beckham showed less of his cunning and clinicality, and more of his vision and footballing mind.

Classy, through and through.

24. Mauther

Mauther New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Dallas

Exactly. How often have we seen a former star out stay their welcome, or flame out trying to keep pace with the young bucks, or eat their crow and slide down divisions to find a team willing to give them s starting slot? Not Ole. He saw which way the wind was blowing, gracefully accepted a place on the bench, and still managed to inspire dread when he rolled onto the field in 80th minute. I wish he would have stuck out the season, just on the off chance he might somehow be fit eventually. I know taking a bullet for the team was the selfless and smart thing to do, but I'm really going to miss knowing that he's sitting on the bench when we really need a goal. One of the classiest players ever to play the game. One of the best names for a player ever. Coolest nickname by a country mile. Plus the bastard still looks like he can't shave, Eagles looks older. I won't start missing him on Saturday. I've been missing him all season so far.

25. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar

Agreed, Ole was the definition of class. It just really shows you that if you are faithful to the club like Ole was, they will be faithful to you. He went through long hard years of recovery, it was one of my favorite recent memories when he scored his first goal back against Charlton. He truly is a legend. Pure class, amazing talent. He gave our club the best memory we will ever have. Absolute class. Really I don't know what else to say. Extremely hard to realize the time has actually come.