Old Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, May 17, 2017.

1. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    June 6 (today) from SSC forum

[​IMG]

2. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    http://new-stadium.tottenhamhotspur.com/interact/

East Stand is coming down. They're going from the top down.

http://new-stadium.tottenhamhotspur.../callback/image.php?camera=534&image=38549456

the East Stand upper is where my first handful of Spurs games were viewed from. when I started to think of the highlights from my time watching there, I realized that they're pretty few and far between. In fact, I can only think of one time that I actually saw Spurs win from the East Stand - a UEFA Cup group stage win v Brugge in '06 (with a lovely volley from Berbatov). Losses to Benfica and Arsenal (in the same week!) - perhaps my two biggest disappointments at the Lane - were both viewed from the East Stand.

That said, it was in the East Stand where I first ever emerged from beneath to see the pitch and the marvelous interior of the stadium all those years ago - which remains one of the all-time WHL highlights for me.

easily the oldest and most 'traditional' of our stands, seeing this one come down is probably the most difficult for me to watch.

4. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    by my reckoning, this will bring the number of surviving Archibald Leitch stands down to nine. There's ...

in Scotland:

Rangers / Ibrox - South Stand
    Hearts / Tynecastle - Main Stand
    Dundee / Dens Park - North Stand

in England:

Everton / Goodison Park - Bullens Road Stand & Gwladys Street Stand
    Fulham / Craven Cottage - Stevenage Road Stand (he also did the Cottage, itself)
    Sheffield Wednesday / Hillsborough - South Stand
    Portsmouth / Fratton Park - South Stand
    Palace / Selhurst Park - Main Stand

and the handwriting's on the wall for quite a few of them. the two stands at Goodison won't be around long, and the stands at Hearts and Palace - both anachornisms - are constantly spoken of being 'upgraded'. Even at Hillsborough - updated for Euro '96 - there is talk that the new owner (Mr Chansiri) might want a whole new ground once he's got them up in the Prem.

Ibrox and Craven Cottage are the only two that I'd bet money will still be around in 10 years. If we're honest, they and Hillsborough are the only ones genuinely fit for purpose in the 21st century. I love 'em all ... but of course, I too am an anachronism, which all of you presumably already knew.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archibald_Leitch

Many of his works have since been demolished for redevelopment (especially in wake of the Taylor Report and the move to all-seater stadiums), most notably the Trinity Road Stand at Villa Park, considered his masterpiece, which was demolished in 2000. The main stand and pavilion at Craven Cottage, the main stand at Tynecastle and the facade of the main stand at Ibrox (although the stand itself has been remodelled) still survive to this day; all are now listed buildings.

They will probably be around for a lot longer than 10 years.

7. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it amusing that the last few pictures in this, the Old Stadium thread, are tagged #SpursNewStadium.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yes, for sure. and some of the others might well be, too. but there are none - save Ibrox and the Cottage - that I would put money on still being around.

even Tynecastle, which is listed*. Hearts have made noise about moving, which would see their Leitch façade stick around in some capacity (not unlike Highbury) - but it wouldn't remain as a football stand.

*which I didn't realize. I knew about the stands at Fulham and Rangers, but that Hearts is listed is news to me.

11. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hearts are rebuilding their main stand and increasing their stadium to over 20,000

anyways

the shelf is nearly gone.

[​IMG]

12. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    East Stand is essentially gone now.

The Park Lane, then, is the last to still be standing.

...as ever.

**shamelessly stolen from Drink!Drink! @sc**

13. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

Shelf all gone.

14. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The truss on the Paxton road is coming down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The park lane is coming down.

[​IMG]

16. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    the Park Lane truss comes down ...

not much of the old girl remains.

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that English on the radio? ;)

19. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    It’s always fascinated me how big things look like they’re dropping in slow motion. I know the science behind it, but it’s still novel to watch.

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    upload_2017-7-30_11-24-15.png

a bit of rubble in the southeast corner is all that remains of WHL (and it's probably already gone as I type).

a majority of the games I saw at N17 were viewed from the Park Lane stand. it's where I watched Ledley's immaculate tackle - y'know, that one - against Robben and Lennon's winner in our first League win v Chelsea in yonks. it's where I watched Van der Vaart's sublime volley v Twente in our first Champions League fixture at the Lane. and ... er ... it drops off a bit from there, actually. it's where I saw Jenas dismantle Wigan ... um ... Defoe bundle in a winner v QPR, maybe ... Cameron Lancaster's single first team appearance? ...

I actually did see a lot of wonderful stuff there - sterling goals from Bale, Modric, Berbatov, Keane, etc. - but there really weren't a whole lot of standout games, if I'm honest. I mean, I remember 'em, but I wouldn't expect anyone else to.

what's great to know, though, is that just down Church Road from that load of rubble is the Antwerp Arms. and it'll still be there to drop in to when I'm on my way to my first game at the new __________ Stadium. I am sooooo very grateful that we didn't move to Stratford - or any of the numerous north London locations that were batted around over the years. I know I'm gonna hate the new stadium ... but I do love Spurs, me, and the salubrious Tottenham High Road.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.