OL women

Discussion in 'Olympique Lyonnais' started by guignol, Sep 5, 2005.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Last year the OL women's team made quite a few headlines. in mid-season they recruited 6 players from the USNT, and not the least of them: aly wagner, hope solo, christie welsh, lorrie fair, danielle slaton and tara flint.

they finished the season on fire and made it to the cup final which they lost in a heartbreaker. they also finished 3rd in the league despite the slow start made before the americans arrived.

not all the americans stayed until the end of the season, and it's not clear how many will be back, although lorrie fair and danielle slaton, who provide and amazing midfield backbone are apparently going to arrive in lyon in the next few days. getting wagner back looks like an impossible dream, solo would be great to have in goal, but probably not in the cards.

still, they brought a lot to the team that stayed after they left; they showed the local women just what kind of level it takes to play at the top. here's to a successful season for the distaff squad!

2. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Photos pls.....

;)

:D

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In their first official match the OL women went to Compiègne to face a side newly promoted to the top flight.

Farid Benstiti's ladies led 1-0 at halftime on a penalty by Sandrine Bretigny.

the second period was more delicate, especially playing at 10 after a rather harsh sending-off of de Laura Gandonou and a hotly contested equalizer.

next week-end is the home opener... against PSG!

allez les filles!

4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  5. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    No, just the regular board sex pest. ;)

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well in that case i can say that aly wagner's photos don't do her justice. in person she's a stone fox.

7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  8. Gnafron

Gnafron Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Lyon, Cx-Rousse
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    “The communication was hard and it wasn’t a two-way street,” she said. “I would try to learn their language and the words they would want me to say, but in a game atmosphere, I would resort back to English and they would get mad and yell at me instead of just learning a few English words. It was a tough situation, but the hurdles that I was forced to overcome helped stretch me as goalkeeper.”

Typical mercenary state of mind ?

PS: Hello there this is my 1st post :)

9. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Ahhh Bienvenue Gnafron. :)

Reims fan eh? What do you reckon this season.... Think they'll go up?

10. Gnafron

Gnafron Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Lyon, Cx-Rousse
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I hope they'll stay 2 or 3 years in League 2 before thinking of joingning L1.

I would certainly enjoy Reims in League 1 instead of Ajaccio for eg. :D

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  12. Gnafron

Gnafron Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Lyon, Cx-Rousse
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In Vinasse Veritas - :D

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    this saturday nos olympiennes will host PSG. while our ladies were picking up one point at newly promoted compiègne, les parigotes beat toulouse 2-1.

the match is at 15h at field n°10 at gerland. for those of you who are close enough, if you've never watched a match on this pitch, i heartily recommend you . and it's free!

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it wasn't easy, but the ladies beat PSG 1-0. even if les parisiennes hit the bar and a post, the victory was well deserved. the goal came in the 70th minute on a shot by claire morel, served up on a platter by sandrine bretigny.

lorrie fair's return didn't go unnoticed. the american whom mahamadou diarra raved about last year was as imaginitive as she was active.

15. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    oh damn. i thought there would be pictures of the hot OL player's wives and girlfriends. :confused:

16. Jet$on

Jet$on Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Old Blighty
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The women's team went to champagne this weekend and beat saint memmie 2 - 0 on two second half goals by sandrine brétigny et delphine blanc.

with 10 points in three matches this year, they're still unbeaten.

more good news this week: american midfielder danielle slaton is back with the team.

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    there's a brazilian center back on trial, her name is simone. evidently one-word names are the rule for women as well as men in brazil!

i'll try to make the next match to see if she's any good. i expect she is; women players don't cross the atlantic on a wild fancy. she's probably a killer, a cris with hair!

19. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    An interview with Delphine Blanc

Having to deal with the retirement of several experienced players and the departure of three of their Americans, Olympique Lyonnais starts the season with a talented but very young squad. At only 22 years old, Delphine Blanc, starting her third season among the elite, is now one of the “old pros” of the team. Conscious of the fact that the fight for the title will be difficult, she considers her team to have a lot of possibilities to improve.

Delphine, can you resume your victory against PSG ?

We’re still at the beginning of the season and we were lacking quickness in our game. The start was very balanced. Then we got the upper hand in balll possession, without being able to create many dangerous opportunities. PSG on the contrary had two clear chances, touching the bar and a post. We were able to open the score in the second half on a goal by Claire Morel.

After a nil at Compiègne (1-1) and this hard-won victory, can you say OL is still in a tune-up period ?

Yes, especially as we have a very young team. Some experienced players have retired, and Hope Solo, Aly Wagner and Christie Welch have left. Against Compiègne I was the oldest player on the field. The return of Lorrie Fair […] and Daniele Slaton help. These two will add a lot of talent and experience.

In this young group (note: five players on the team are under 18) do you feel you have increased responsability?

It’s true it feels strange. A couple of years ago I was one of the youngest in the group. Things change fast. There are other players like Sandrine Dusang, Claire Morel and Sandrine Brétigny who have several years experinece in D1. We’re the oldest now, and it’s up to us to guide the youngsters; it’s not always easy.

In playing terms, what are your principal priorities in the coming matches?

For the new players who have just joined the team, the important thing is to gain confidence match after match. We still have work to do to get used to each other as we haven’t had the possibilty to all play together yet. Our game will get better and better, we have a lot of room to progress.

20. Jet$on

Jet$on Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Old Blighty
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    10 pts in three matches?

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    as in CFA (and most amateur competitions in france, a win is 4 pts, a nil 2, a loss 1. basically you get a point just for showing up as an incentive not to forfeit.

22. Jet$on

Jet$on Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Old Blighty
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  23. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    OL Women 1 - CNFE 1

Farid Benstiti's girls gave up their second nil of the season to the Centre National de Formation et d'Entrainement. the score was 1-1, the lyonnais goal came from Sandrine Brétigny.

24. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    a 4-0 victory yesterday at La Roche sur Yon. the goals were by Delphine Blanc, Alix Faye and a double by last week's scorer, Sandrine Brétigny.

still no simone on the matchcard, and lorrie fair was in action with the USWNT.

a sour note, Gwenaelle Pelé was stretchered off with a broken nose. somehow it seems worse when it happens to a young lady...

25. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    after 2 straight 0-0's against leader Juvisy and Toulouse, OL was geared up for a result against reigning champion Montpellier. French international Sandrine Dussang was out (ankle) but Gwennaelle Pélé was back from last month's injury, and Brazilian Simone and American Lorrie Fair were present for respectively their second and third matches for les gônes.

on a field in Montpellier that was flooded in areas, a far cry from what they play on at home, the OL ladies had the best of the first half and were up 0-1 on a 35 metre goal from Ludivine Bruet.

The second half went... less well. after Sandrine Brétigny's red card, it was all Montpellier's way, and at the end it was 2-1 in a match where a win seemed a possible dream, a nil would have been welcome, and a loss was, finally, regrettable.