OKC: Interesting Stadium Rumor

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Energy FC' started by NegativeCreep, Apr 20, 2014.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None, technically.

Montreal, Vancouver and Portland played in USSFD2, and Montreal actually DID play in the NASL. But they basically had one foot out the door at the time.

Portland and Vancouver had already been announced as MLS teams before they played a game post-split. Montreal just needed a place to play for a bit.

But the second division's best markets and organizations have been scooped up by MLS. Like they can do if they want.

No, because it is the perpetuation of another canard that people who have been here for an hour and a half feel comfortable with for some reason.

First: stop calling it "the MLS."

Second, no, MLS does not just take anyone, unless Jeff Cooper and Andrew Murstein were at the last Board of Governors meeting and I missed it.

Third, $100m is New York. The other franchises have not cost that much.

2. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Well, that would be all well and good if THE MLS hadn't decided to give Miami a team, because that worked out well for them the last time. THE MLS goes where the money is and if someone came to THE MLS with $100 million, I promise you THE MLS would give them a franchise. Supposed other shit be damned. Whether it be the $100 million THE MLS got from NY, or the $70 million THE MLS got from Orlando City, it's still a shit ton of money that gets you in THE MLS, not grassroots support, awesome tifo, etc.

3. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You seriously think that Don Garber should chair an America's Got Talent type tifo judging contest to choose their next expansion team?

4. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    If you seriously believe it's any thing other than money, then sure, why not?

5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can agree to that - I'll shut my piehole when the USL comes to terms with that.

I stand corrected.

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different circumstances.

7. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Yet you gauge the past actions of the Energy front office when assessing their current situation.

Different circumstances only works when it fits your argument I guess?

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those actions are from the last 12 months. They're pretty relevant.

The Miami situation was an uncapitalized owner that would be laughed out of today's MLS expansion plans, playing in a stadium they didn't own or control revenue in and played 35 miles from the center of their fanbase.

MLS 1.0 to a T

The Beckham Driven MLS Proposal as of yet, has not been awarded a team.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dumbass.

Seriously, you just freaking got here. You discovered the lower levels like a month and a half ago.

Now you're just being a petulant dipshit.

It is absolutely - and demonstrably - not true that they will take anyone who writes a check. How many examples would you like?

You can use ALL CAPS all you want, but you're still a noob, you sill don't know what the ******** you're talking about, you don't know the history of the league, you don't know how it all works, and you're being an idiot.

10. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew the answer ... just wanted to see your justification of USL first division teams not being USL Pro (which I can understand and agree with ... but I also see why the USL Pro would want to count those as their own since they were a part of that USL first division too).

Yes, Orlando's move wasn't due to USL Pro ... but NO expansion teams have moved to MLS due to the league that they were in before moving to MLS ... so what's your point?

11. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with that ... but since USL Pro teams and I'm guessing some league officials were a part of the USL first division as well as the USSF D2 that is why they're making the claims ... and really, who the freak cares? The only people care know the truth ... oh well. They're idiots for "claiming" more than Orlando. Who cares, they are among millions of other idiots around this country (myself included).

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that like listing your ex-girlfriend as a character reference?

And, to be fair, it's not even teams. It's been markets.

Atlanta's a market. They're not taking the Silverbacks. It just so happens that in Seattle and Portland and Montreal and Orlando there was a market and an existing club with vision and money and infrastructure and it made sense to "promote" that club.

They didn't promote the Utah Blitzz, and they wouldn't have promoted the Colorado Foxes if there were no team in Denver at launch.

13. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree with taking markets and not teams. And I like the ex girlfriend/character reference comment! Well played.

Everyone agrees that no matter what, MLS requires any existing franchise go find a sugar daddy ... and that's not bad IMO ... for those organizations to compete in MLS and bring enough resourses to the table at MLS board meetings they need one. There's no problem with that. I agree that the USL needs to figure this out and promote their league for what it is, but the constant bitching about every time that USL says the same crap regarding their league gets as old as hearing the USL message itself.

14. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    And that's where your argument fails. If you can't be bothered to have a discussion without resorting to name calling, then there is only one of us being a petulant shit and it sure isn't me.

But when you think your time on a message board, and throwing it up as an argument that some one "just got here" is some sort of an accomplish, then I think it's time to reevaluate what you spend your time doing.

I do like where you tried to talk out of your ass then edited it when you were wrong. Specifically enjoyed the "Okie" that you felt the need to remove.

15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess honesty isn't important anymore.

ManuSooner repped this.
  16. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on who you ask I would guess. I'll take some mis information that I can easily find the truth about over the continual bitching about petty issues in statements that don't matter in the grand scheme of thing anyday.

17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you're asking for public money, misinformation will quickly torpedo any plan and poison the well for anyone following you.

ManuSooner repped this.
  18. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed where they asked for public money.

19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone does. Either directly or indirect/offsite improvements

20. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Blando13, give it up. Our own personal Rush Limbaugh can't be talked to. Even when it's bullshit, it's the truth. Better to just laugh and walk away.

21. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Energy will play in Taft next year, but are all the changes that the NASL guys promised going to take place? Great sell out last week and your team looked great here in Orlando this past Sunday. Their style is the same as ours (SKC inspired?) but wherever they play they need width, more than U.S. football size.

22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's actually pretty funny - given my political lean. Unless the Energy investors are mildly retarded, any SSS they build build will have some public funding and they will work out an agreement for the stadium to be owned by OKC or whatever it's sports facility ownership authority is called and lease/operate the facility on behalf of the city? Why you ask?

Property Taxes. RedBull GMbH opted not to do that in Harrison and now they have been successfully sued by the County for several million dollars in back property taxes. Taxes the city as a public authority would not be responsible for. That really punches a whole in your whole P/L sheet when you're on the hook for a 30-150 million dollar building when you're best bet is to only have it occupied and generating revenue 50 days out of the year.
    That's up to the Energy investors now.

I guess they better start looking...

23. Tydude

Tydude Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim McLaughlin is going to do the same thing that he promise when NASL was planing on playing at Taft Stadium.

24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so. It's a sad thing when people don't live up to their committments

ManuSooner and FCjason repped this.