Ok, techies... I need a device

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Kryptonite, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not crazy technical (Raspberry Pi means nothing to me) and the device will be swapped between multiple TVs, so portability is a must. I don't care about 4K. 5Ghz WiFi would be awesome.

I want to be able to go into a menu and select a MLS app for my MLS Live subscription and the MLB.tv app for my MLB.tv subscription. It's my understanding that some devices have MLS archives, but not live games. I need to avoid this.

Ideally, it would also have WatchESPN, Netflix and, hey...if it could toss in a SiriusXM app, why not?

It looks like a Roku stick would be the best option? This actually has a menu on the TV?

2. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I do love a device with android tech. Easier to get the Google Play Store with that. So, Id say an Android TV Box. Maybe even a Fire TV could do the job too

3. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roku is usually the best most versatile option with all services and support for all the TVs

4. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Your best option would indeed be any Roku player, but the stick is easiest to use. I have a Roku in my office and my bedroom, and I love them. I bought my mother a couple of Roku sticks to cut the cord to help ease costs after my father passed away, and she's as technically illiterate as humanly possible, but she uses it easily. I had to set it up for her, but once it's set, it's so easy to use. There are tons of apps on there that you can just sift through and add as necessary.

As an alternative, you can get a Chromecast and all you need for that is just your smartphone, but it looks like the Roku stick might be best for you.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I subscribed to see replies, but I guess not.

Either way, I ended up with a Roku Streaming Stick. It's EXACTLY what I want with live MLS/NBA/NHL/MLB games, providing subscription plus SiriusXM and WatchESPN.

There was a slight hiccup getting it to recognize the 5Ghz network, but that works as well. (I took it to another 5Ghz network, where it worked with no issue. I took it back to mine and then it worked.)

I do have a Chromecast and Chromecast 2, but I wanted something that didn't need an external device like a phone.