Ok, Jordan Morris, is he the deal?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Apr 16, 2015.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Not really. The games mean very little until the end of the season. Any player that is close to the usmnt isnpretty much guaranteed playing. Players of the same level would have to fight for spots in the top second division leagues in europe. The lack of competition breeds complacency. Morris has made great strides, but he is an outlier.

2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    except Sheild United and Norwich spreads it across the whole team where the majority of MLS salaries go to 3 to 5 players. I'd bet on a more balanced team any day.

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Long has been liability and there is no way he is in top 4 eligible CBs.

4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He isnt going anywhere. NYRB valued Long at $15M. Morris worth much more than Long and nobody is paying 8 figures for him.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I think this is very well said. The kid has put in the work and improved. He is a serviceable 25 yo which is much different than how many MLS fans are talking about him.

6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might be the case but I don't think it is definitive. There are a ton of clubs w/ cash to spend that would want a left-winger with some pace that can score and probably just as importantly... can help out on D. I am eager to see how Morris' game would play out in the Bundisliga or the EPL.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    maybe those Stanford connections will help secure a move :p

Three and Three repped this.
  8. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Absolutely well put.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Morris has 2 goals and 5 assists in 648 minutes for the NT this year. He drew a pk against Mexico and scored the goal against Uruguay. Morris has been a bit better than a 'serviceable 25 y/o'.

deuteronomy, 007Spartan, asoc and 2 others repped this.
  10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Goals
    1 vs Uruguay 1-1
    1 vs Cuba 7-0

Assists
    2 vs T&T 6-0
    1 vs Jamaica 3-1
    3 vs Cuba 7-0

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He drew a pk against Mexico. He also doesn't set the schedule.

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  14. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what is said in the locker room about the stolen goal.

Jordan is big,fast and hard working. There is always room in my team for that.

15. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    good job making sure it went in.

LouisianaViking07/09 and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to remember that the official scorer used to be able to reward a goal to the player if the ball was going in anyway before someone else touched it. If it wasn't going to go in then it was awarded to the last one who touched it. Wonder why that has changed?

50/50 Ball repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    any possible foreign interest in him during the off-season?

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think he's done it all in MLS and should now try and move. Is Bremen still interested? That would be interesting to have him and Sargent playing together. And if the announcers thought Sargent was fast wait until they get a look at Morris.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    They def need a guaranteed goalscorer but I'd figure he might have looks at others who'd take the risk on him.

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that was funny. They prejudged Sargent as fast because he's American and he can't be a more technical, heady type, as he is. His physical tools are mediocre for a CF.

He must qualify for a work permit at this point, and he fits a high tempo, counter style that typifies the middle of the EPL, so I'd like to see him go there. Everton is the historical choice.

If he goes to the BL, wouldn't want to see him competing w/ another American for a spot. And Werder hasn't been very amenable to Sargent given the opportunities he sacrificed to go there.

Bayer's owner a few years ago said it's his dream to have an American who scores a goal a game. Then ironically they're seemingly in a minority of BL clubs who don't have an American in their system, or at least that's prominent. So this would be a swing to take finally.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I think Morris can only score a goal a game against CONCACAF minnows. No way he's playing for Leverkusen unless it's their reserve squad. His best bet might be a relegation fodder club where he can establish himself.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's nonsense he's relegation fodder at this stage. The guy has a lot of tools and has mitigated his weaknesses greatly. He's also a proven winner at a variety of levels.

I didn't predict he'd score a goal a game or anywhere near it. But Bayer's owner proclaimed that was his dream. So he wouldn't take a chance and accept 1:2 or even 1:4 w/ a similar assist rate in the end?

Morris isn't someone better against crap competition. That's a myth. You're holding it against him that he also succeeds against them, as well as Netherlands, Uruguay, Mexico, etc. In official comps he's had limited cracks against better comps, so successes at Honduras or even in the GC final against Jamaica are noteworthy. Frankly, he's been better against quality int'l comp than Pulisic to date.

Dirt McGirt and USSoccerNova repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That's a huge risk man to bet on Morris at a big club like Leverkusen.

24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He isn't going anywhere. I wish our players abroad were progressing as much as him.

25. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I would be surprised to see him go abroad.
    He is enjoying his life and football here and will probably do well in Seattle post-soccer. . Nothing wrong with that.