Ok, Jordan Morris, is he the deal?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My view: $1 m per for 5 years seemed rich. But market going forward 5 years can change a lot. (also we don't know what mitigation clause there is in Jordan's contract in case he gets injured seriously, requires surgery, rehab, and can't play).

Some perspective on the "market" going forward.
    http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-t...irms-atlanta-united-move-after-club-world-cup

And Garber says expansion of MLS will continue......

2. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think that last option year is probably very high and makes the whole contract bigger. That the three guaranteed years are probably very reasonable for a not that young, was good before ACL, player.

It just doesn't make any sense otherwise.

3. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not entirely fair. On the day, EJ could be more dangerous than any of those guys. He's definitely the best athlete on that list and arguably the best in the air. He also was deceptively good beating the offside line and a good finisher. EJ wasn't a scrub.

I say this about a lot of positions, but it applies to forward as well: we have more skilled players nowadays, but I'm not sure those players are necessarily better on the day than some of the guys from yesteryear who were sometimes better athletes with more craft and tenacity.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    When you overpay someone based on their looks or contacts or because you just like then for whatever reason, the negative side is that others feel hard done, specially when the teacher's pet is nothing extraordinary.

It gets harder to take the job seriously when salaries are guided by whims or do not correlate with the quality of the job done.

TOAzer repped this.
  5. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Here is a five year contract worth $5 MM over the life:

Year 1 Guaranteed: $300K
    Year 2 Guaranteed: $300K
    Year 3 Guaranteed: $400K
    Year 4 Club Option: $1000K
    Year 5 Club Option: $2000K

An incentive if the player scores 15 goals a season of $200K each year.

A player that sort of proved himself but hasn't played because of serious injuries could be signed to this deal. If he comes back and produces, he is a bargain. You can sell him in Year 3 or if he is a superstar, gladly pay him the DP money.

The player signs it because maybe the knee is iffy and this cashes him in if the legs crumble.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Or you could be getting it backwards - maybe it really is worth something extra for being "not Obafemi".

You would reward production over play - are you ready to see your cf pretend he didn't see his teammate wide open for a tap in so he could ask for more salary because after all he is the only one scoring?

Morris' contract could be simply understood as "character matters".

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Soccer is a team sport. A guy who consistently fails to see the open guys to make the pass and fails to score is not assessed to be producing.

If he scores, it's a moot point.

8. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    the inside joke is that you would actually struggle to put 8/10 guys ahead of him; most on that list are literally entirely potential at this point.

Baysider repped this.
  9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Those days were rare. EJ had a nasty habit to play only on contract years. His has MLS career numbers are than above mentioned guys who never demanded primadona treatment.

10. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Just like Wil Trapp is a privileged white suburban MLS poster boy given things he hasn't earned has character.

Patrick167 repped this.
  11. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are your settings stuck in "shitty hot take" mode? Serious question.

a_new_fan and butters59 repped this.
  12. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Character" is a common racial codeword -- especially in athletics. In our current political climate, the emphasis of whiteness plays an even greater role in trying to attract the "traditional sports fan" and suburban parents. I didn't realize that acknowledging institutional racism was a shitty hot take. So thank you for that insightful comment.

I don't even particularly like critical theory and this shit is obvious to me. Along those lines, I appreciate your commitment to a strategy of "derision and volume" to dismiss everything with which you disagree. Horseshoe theory, baby.

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not even disagreeing with you. Your presentation trivializes your message. I'm not sure if you're trolling or just incapable of putting together a post that's not inflammatory.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The survival of soccer in the USA, a sport that lacks cultural pull, depends greatly on people being willing to spend $$$ to keep it going. The people with the $$$ are mostly white, suburbanite families.

Ergo, you want white guys in your national teams to keep the interest of such people high.

It's logical. Racist, perhaps. But logical.

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBA is mostly black but whites from coast to coast love playing and watching.

16. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but basketball is an American sport. They don't need to form an identity relation to an audience in the same way soccer does. At the same time, the NBA brass (and that ex-Hawk owner, e.g.) are constantly worried about the impact of "thugs" on the NBA's popularity. The racist overtones are clear. There exists a litany of articles and reports on this stuff.

On a sidenote, though I think perhaps causally related to the elevation of Trapp and Morris, SUM messed up big time with the "root for Mexico" campaign.

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #3567 schrutebuck, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    The escalation in his contract isn't going to be as extreme as this, but I think Seattle took a reasonable risk on Morris. Most likely, the first 3 years average around 800K or 900K, with 2 option years above $1.1 million. I think that's reasonable. If Morris fails to recover from his injury, then Seattle only has to suffer for 2 extra years. One factor that helps Morris is that Seattle has generally carried at least one well-known national team player on the team over the years - Keller, EJ, Dempsey, Yedlin, and now Morris.

When it comes to Eddie Johnson, the ultimate irony is that the player that screwed him over with Seattle was his good friend Clint Dempsey. EJ was probably playing his way into a big contract extension with Seattle until they signed Dempsey in August 2013. After that, Seattle didn't want to pay Dempsey, Martins, and EJ.

Of course, EJ was one of the highest earners in the league in the mid-2000s, and DC United boosted his salary back to 500K after they acquired him from Seattle in 2014.

Patrick167 repped this.
  18. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, it's hanging, Chad. So there was that ol' racist, Martin Luther King, emphasizing "whiteness" with his dream of folks being judged by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. Lit crit his suburban codeword lovin' institutionalist derriere with your hot takes on horseshoes, baby.

Behold the grandeur of the American Dream: to have the privilege of burning a quarter million on "higher education" so that you too can reason just like Chad.

19. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Garber's gameplan is to step over the mostly-younger, mostly-college-educated, more-gender and racially-diverse base of MLS fans (a huge portion of which is also Hispanic; more than the fandom of any other US sport) to attract...racists? The coveted segment of retirement age white men that are a shrinking segment of the US population? Doesn't make logical sense.

The racial bias that overlooks non-white players for leadership positions on sports teams like team captain is a real thing, but if it were at play here, wouldn't it simply be because Sarachan himself subscribed to the belief subconsciously? Why involve Garber in an elaborate scheme to...make soccer more appealing to "traditional sports fans" (are they racist? They seem able to abide a large number of non-whites in "traditional" sports) and "suburban parents" (are they racist? it's not 1992 -- there are blacks and Latinos in the suburbs these days).

20. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet you think it’s ok to say ************ because black people use it.

21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Nah, I don't think so. The NFL and NBA have a very high minority quotient, and they're doing fine. I really disagree with the take that there is a motivation to have a white team over a winning team.

On the flipside, the accomplishments of a guy like Beaz are underrated. Sanneh is not in the hall of fame.

Still, imo, anyone can see that if we field a winning team, the support will be there, even if there wasn't a white guy on the roster.

22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Huh? All leagues other than MLS work like that, right?

In every league, the big fish buy players off the little fish, and there's not much the little fish can do about it. Look at Bayern Munich.

23. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    It still sucks eggs to be a bottom tier MLS player though. There are still guys that can make more money elsewhere. And, I bet there are plenty of MLS guys that work other jobs in the off season.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Damn! Gunnerfan goes yard.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    NBA & NFL don't have a pay-to-play system. They use the college system, where there are plenty of money invested to help with scholarships, grants, bursaries, etc.

Soccer depends greatly on parents spending money to put kids in academies. It's a completely different ball game. You need the people with the money not just interested in watching, but in putting their kids through the system _and_ paying through the nose for it.