Oil today: the biggest one-day price jump ever

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by El CHarro_NEgro...., Sep 22, 2008.

1. "Oil prices spiked more than $25 a barrel Monday -- the biggest one-day price jump ever -- as anxiety over the government's $700 billion bailout plan, a weak dollar and an expiring crude contract ignited a dramatic rally."

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080922/oil_prices.html

2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    HOORAY! Let's increase their subsidies again.

3. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaker Pelosi gets the blame for this one; the do-nothing Democrat-led Congress passes a sham bill that does nothing to aid domestic petroleum exploration/drilling then she wonders why Americans are mad and oil prices increase....

Can't this excuse for a House leader be removed from office?

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    ...and the one before this one.
    ...and the next one.
    ...and the next one after the next one.

Got the point.

5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and exactly why have they not been able to do anything?
    silly ItN

No amount of domestic drilling will change the price of oil speculation.

6. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    What about the do-nothing Republican President and Congress from 2001 to 2006? Why couldn't they pass (or propose) this all-important legislation on a key "national security" issue?

7. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What part of domestic drilling will do fuck all for the present problem do you not get?

8. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Sorry. More lawmaking aint gonna cure this problem. We are destroying the dollar at a pretty fast pace. Oil has been lower than it should have been the last month or so. We are seeing a general jump in commodities due to a trend towards inflation. Oil is up, Gold is up, all in all, commodities are seeing a nice (no, not so nice) increase.

Wait. That's too hard to understand:

PELOSI DID IT! So I expect McCain to appoint a commission any day now to study prices.

9. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simply awesome ITN.

Sily me, I was thinking it was the lack of meaningful regulations to stop this sort of profiteering.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a42969f2-88e1-11dd-a179-0000779fd18c.html

10. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080922/D93C1DQ02.html

11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Took me a minute, but I figured out how Pelosi made one-day oil prices rise so much today.

13. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    The guy on CNBC seemed to think this was more of contract-closing issue than anything else. Apparently the November contracts didn't close up nearly as much.

I'm not agreeing with that (I have no idea whether or not it's true), just passing it along.

14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    That Bitch! She is going to ruin ITN's day.

15. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She didn't force people to buy all those SUVs that get 15 mpg.

More drilling might help a little, but the numbers are quite clear that we need to improve the gas mileage of our transportation infrastructure to make any dent in this.

16. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The U.S. is way past peak.

The next paragraph from your link:
    Extensive drilling was done in the Canadian Arctic during the 1970s and 1980s by such companies as Panarctic Oils Ltd., Petro Canada and Dome Petroleum. After 176 wells were drilled at billions of dollars of cost, approximately 1.9 billion barrels (300×106 m3) of oil and 19.8 trillion cubic feet (560×109 m3) of natural gas were found. These discoveries were insufficient to justify development, and all the wells which were drilled were plugged and abandoned.

Drilling in the Canadian Arctic turned out to be expensive and dangerous. The geology of the Canadian Arctic turned out to be far more complex than oil-producing regions like the Gulf of Mexico. It was discovered to be gas prone rather than oil prone (i.e. most of the oil had been transformed into natural gas by geological processes), and most of the reservoirs had been fractured by tectonic activity, allowing most of the petroleum which might at one time have been present to leak out

Yeah--that's what we need...more dangerous, environmentally destructive drilling for something that won't make any difference at all for at least 30 years. By then if we're still this drug addicted to oil, the planet won't be inhabitable. So great strategy.:rolleyes:

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Geez, LF. What is it about "Drill Here, Drill Now" that you don't understand? You take a simple solution and complicate it by referring to reality and stuff. Why would you do something like that.

18. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LiverpoolFanatic; you misjudge me, as do others, repeatedly. I am not unsympathetic to those advancing some other-than-oil energy strategy! I'm all on board with whatever gadget and energy process we can quickly harness to propel our economy and I admit our dependence on foreign oil has crippled our foreign policy. That said, however, we need to face facts. No alternate energy source is within decades of replacing our gasoline-powered internal combustion engines in our vehicles. Even the best hybrids are at least half dependent upon petroleum and our entire transportation infrastructure and fueling stations are based on oil. Changing that paradigm is admirable and good for leaders to make progress on. But as I said, facing facts mean we need to quickly bring on some way of rapidly changing the balance of foreign oil dependence and John McCain's/Sarah Palin's plan to tap domestic energy supplies make more sense that Barack Obama's/Joe Biden's pie-in-the-sky plans to suddenly make all automobiles obsolete. We should have had this discussion decades ago and moved away from oil with a clear plan; we didn't and we can blame whoever for that. But now, when we need some process to free ourselves from high international oil prices and domestic drilling seems the way to go... By all means let's get busy developing alternatives but you are fooling yourself if you think any of these is a reality anytime soon. Domestic drilling is the only real answer to our immediate energy question.

19. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey ITN, didn't I smack you around in this forum enough yesterday? Okay, he's some more for ya, courtest of swiftboat financier T Boone Pickens:

http://voanews.com/english/2008-09-23-voa3.cfm

20. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to switch away from gasoline as quickly as practical. The best
    end point 20 to 30 years out, when battery technology improves by a
    factor of 10x - is the electric car charged up at night off of the electrical grid. The base power for the grid should be mostly nuclear. Solar and wind can be part of the mix, but aren't practical for 24 hours/day power.

The transition from 100% gas car to 100% electrical is a progression from:

current Prius-style-hybrid -> plug-in hybrid -> 100% electrical.

As each generation of car gets better less cars will be visiting the local
    gas stations and more will be just charging up at night off the grid. It
    can be a gradual transition, but will powerful interests lobbying for the status quo it will take a national consensus to do it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26843591/

21. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Victory-Winning-Terror-Breaking/dp/1591025915

In addition to switch from gas to electrical, this books makes a strong case that we should switch to "flex-fuel" engines, so the monopoly of oil is broken and becomes "just another commodity" instead of the only fuel used in our transportation system.

46 of 52 people rated this 5 stars at Amazon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Victory

By mandating that we switch to "Flex Fuel" hybrids cars we could make the switch away from OPEC controlled oil even quicker.

22. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    He's begun telling people he's voting for Obama but will not advocate directly for him in order to hedge his bets.