Oh well ..... 2019 Preseason thread :-)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by fatbastard, Nov 6, 2018.

1. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argentina isn't the best possible place to be a pro soccer player raising a family right now. How many years until he is eligible for a one time switch to the us nt?:D

2. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't, chances to get the kind of money he could on the open market don't come around too often. If DC is skimping on the $$ then he has to do what he has to do.

Maybe we need the XFL money to help cover his salary :eek:

GumbyG repped this.
  3. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody get me a bucket.:sick:

4. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get your point...

5. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was one of the best attacking players. Easily. I don't mean he was head and shoulders better than every other player (so maybe my wording wasn't quite right), but players who show they are at the top of the league sometimes get bought by other leagues. It's the way soccer works...

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...a-re-entry-draft-more/?utm_term=.1741178be4bf

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    The bombshell in that article is that Deleon is likely gone. That would be goddamn outrage. Hopefully it's only a negotiating tactic by the team. It sounds like it's not even about money but guaranteed years. Deleon can play literally any position on the field, but he's probably best at the one position in which DCU's depth chart is completely blank. And he's a club legend at this point.

I hope Deleon and the team can act like ********ing grown ups and sign a mutually beneficial deal.

sitruc, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  8. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keeping Nick because he is a club legend seems foolish given the team has to operate with a salary cap.

Guaranteeing a guy multiple years when he has bone on bone issues and a high salary would be borderline irresponsible.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you said
    I am saying while the club can do what you have said I doubt that what you have suggested would be the result. I doubt they would sign a deck chair that would be a lock starter. They are more likely to sign another Segura-esq deck chair.

10. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But none of them very well.

If he does go we would definitely need to keep the Zoltan. Arriola at right back and no Zoltan means no offense from the right side.

James

JRHokie, sitruc, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly the point I made in commenting on Goff's story in Soccer Insider about the current roster issues. Asad's return is not sure, and Arriola could well end up as an attacking right back. We must keep Stieber for that eventuality.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  12. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Aside from the injuries, he isnt that good a player anyway.

JRHokie repped this.
  13. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicky might get taken in the draft tomorrow. I think that's unlikely, but whoscores.com puts him as one of the highest rated players in the draft. His salary might be too rich for our situation, but it isn't outrageous. I think Kasper making very public noises about "both knees" was a bit of an attempt to cut him off at them. I wouldn't be surprised if he took that badly.

Guys in the draft I might actually consider tomorrow: Enzo Martinez, Uruguayan 10, 67K, Jose Aja, Uruguayan CB, $240K. Luis Silva, 'merican F, $233K.

14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't we already have him?

james

benni... repped this.
  15. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d kick the tires on Venegas if he doesn’t want to go back home.

16. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've also had a thing for Tommy Mac ever since the halcyon days when he was on our team. $199K, not a bad deal, even if it isn't a position of need...yet.

Silva was on our team in the early Anno Benny's but moved on to greener pastures. Except now, I think we're the greener pasture.

17. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take a flier on him at $125k, but not $233k.

18. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enzo Martinez? I'm curious what makes him attractive to you (beyond the low salary). I went to enough Rapids games this season to say he's pretty invisible on a bad team. No goals and 3 assists in 22 games from an attacking mid doesn't really seem like anything DC needs, unless you're just thinking about him as depth.

Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  19. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    More like "halycon day."

PSURoss and GumbyG repped this.
  20. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow, on a team where 9 or 10 starters are likely to return, we still need to fill about a dozen roster slots...
    "After cutting ties with several players, United will need to fill about a dozen roster slots before the March 2-3 season opener. . . ."
    Could be room to improve the roster quite a bit. Or we might just return to our old ways of MLS retreads even if the top of the roster is pretty good. I wonder if 3-5 of the guys we think are gone are gonna end up back here in training camp...

21. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We likely will not get the same mileage out of Rooney. His time needs to be managed to maximize his effectiveness over the course of an entire season. He is not Zlatan.

Same as every year we need a 10-15 goal scoring striker. Right now we have no striker. We also need to figure out how to keep Asad, Stieber, and Arriola.

We have no right back. Fisher is out until the summer and Arriola is a winger. Our starting CB pairing may work or may not - there is no consistency.

Good players are needed.

Olsen needs to up his game or hope Rooney has the ability to coach/lead on the field, in the locker room, and on the training ground.

James

Hedbal, Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  22. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly that. We just dumped all our second stringers. He is a bandaid 10 with starting experience for league minimum.

Kenobi repped this.
  23. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    #198 PSURoss, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    I am literally ready to vomit all over myself

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources tell me <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LucianoAcosta?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#LucianoAcosta</a> wants to try his luck overseas. According to one person with information, there&#39;s been offers from Europe and the middle East made to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DCUnited?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#DCUnited</a> who have not made Acosta an offer to better his salary. Source says Lucho is ready to walk. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLS?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#MLS</a> <a href="https://t.co/dnykbxYOvt">https://t.co/dnykbxYOvt</a></p>&mdash; Moises Linares (@MlinaresDC) <a href="
    ">December 14, 2018</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The idea that we sell him and squander the money this pre-season or let him walk for nothing at the end of the year is equally vomitous. How the F did they let it get to this point. It was obivous a month into Wayne Rooney that they needed to just dump a wheelbarrow of cash in front of his locker.

***Apologies for this mess of html.

bigredfutbol and sitruc repped this.
  24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ******** this team. They better hold onto Acosta.

25. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasnt the penny pinching supposed to stop once we got AF?

PSURoss repped this.