Oh well ..... 2019 Preseason thread :-)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by fatbastard, Nov 6, 2018.

1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final post for now:

Pablo Maurer wrote an article for The Athletic about Wayne Rooney's contract. The level of detail is stunning.

Guaranteed compensation through 2021 is $12 million. He has a 7-year marketing agreement worth a guaranteed $2.5 million which includes profit sharing that could make the number go up.

He also has numerous performance and appearance incentives. For instance, he is paid for every goal or assist, up to $600,000 over the life of his deal. He will earn $350,000 if he has 27 appearances next year. He made $50,000 for being in MLS's year end Best XI. He can earn $300,000 if DC United ever win MLS Cup. MVP could get him $250,000; Golden Boot would earn him that; All Star selection nets $50,000.

It's pretty amazing the amount of detail that's in the contract. Great reporting by Maurer to share all that.

Murrdcu, sitruc, Eastern Bear and 6 others repped this.
  2. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    It often feels like two different leagues. Fan attention is definitely lost on the other conference their team isn’t in. Even ive lost interest in following all but the top two western teams.

Winoman and song219 repped this.
  3. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    So even worse than I stated.

4. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Nick Deleon's dad was my hero (really!), but my sentimental feelings for Nick are gone.

5. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. DC United got shafted by having to play the two best teams in MLS three times.

That changes for next year - if it's still a 34 game schedule, it's home and home against the East (22 games), and one against everyone in the West (12 games). That should mean less West Coast trips, though, as we should get all the California teams in DC this year, as well as Seattle, but who knows what the MLS schedule will spit out.

Winoman repped this.
  6. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Why on God's gray earth would anyone watch people play video games on tv. I hate this world. Get off my lawn.

Kenobi, TowsonDad, Murrdcu and 6 others repped this.
  7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    That's even less interesting than I suspected.

Winoman repped this.
  8. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Not to mention, this past season was LAGs year to come east. So MLS needs to find someone else to horn over.

9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

which makes no sense unless he wants to move, which he might, and send him to Loudon.

10. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc repped this.
  11. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar Airways or Rakuten as the new sponsor?

12. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please God, no.

sitruc repped this.
  13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charleston would be sooooo much nicer for preseason. Charleston announced all but one of the MLS teams that will be part of the 2019 CCC so I still hold out the slightest amount of hope.

Winoman repped this.
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I miss buy.com... and they came along and my info was stolen and used. I'm imagining ebate codes for seat upgrades.

15. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I can tolerate almost any sponsor, but not one of the Gulf airlines. The way in which those airlines and the forays into sports sponsorship as a means of cleansing what is otherwise a dirty government makes me sick. I had little issue with the multi-level marketing companies like Advocare and Herbalife or even Leidos and all of its warts. All in on Amazon.

16. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Twitters indicate Pawel Cibicki could be headed to MLS. No team disclosed, but he fits the bill for a right winger to replace Stieber. He's a fast, right footed wing player who can also play as a striker. Probably cheaper than Mattocks with similar speed and much better touch on the ball. He played a disappointing season for Leeds last year (that's how I know of him), but he's got a good amount of talent. Sweedish and playing for Molde now.

He is the type of winger in a 4-2-3-1that DCU needs to replace Stieber and could play nicely opposite Yamil Asad and spell Rooney during injury.

MLS interest in Pawel Cibicki with Leeds United ready to listen to fresh offers for him:<a href="https://t.co/qO3iTnsl3J">https://t.co/qO3iTnsl3J</a></p>&mdash; Phil Hay (@PhilHayYEP) <a href="

sitruc repped this.
  17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see Johannes Eggestein in MLS.

18. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do we need to "replace Stieber?"

Winoman, Q*bert Jones III and fatbastard repped this.
  19. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    $1M/yr is a lot of money for a player who doesn't start and doesn't offer a lot of versatility/depth in other attacking roles.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn’t start not because he is deficient but because the coach only know one formation and can’t adapt to get his best 11 on the field.

James

Potowmack, JRHokie, grumpydcu and 5 others repped this.
  21. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can play both wings, lb, and 10, in a pinch. I don't know why his minutes tailed off, but we should be able to get him on the field, and his results are on par with Asad and arriola when we do that. Shame to dump him when we have the makings of a three headed dragon. Cap space is at a premium, for sure...

22. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Lets be frank, that one formation was pretty successful while he rode the pine.

GumbyG repped this.
  23. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    In the last 4 or 5 games of the season, after the first 20 minutes he would have been better than Asad. And I really like Asad.

GumbyG, Winoman, Hedbal and 1 other person repped this.
  24. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seems to be played inverted a lot, more like-for-like with Asad than Stieber...

:eek::D

:whistling:

25. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes. You’re on to something there. He could be plan B if we can’t sign Asad. I was being optimistic and hoping he’d replace Stieber as Ben seems to prefer to play with only one inverted winger.