Kenny Saief at Maccabi Haifa

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Testudo, Apr 5, 2014.

1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    call him up, introduce him to the U-23 squad, play against the Colombians. With his CL experience he might be a good addition to the team for the playoffs against Colombia.

2. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Kenny's full comments in Israeli media:

Saif added: "At least in the United States appreciates me. I have not decided if that's what I want, I'm serious dilemma. I consulted with my mother. In two weeks I will come to Israel for winter holidays. I sit down with my family and I will see what happens. But as of now it looks like my best option, because the Israeli national team no one talked to me at all.

"I've been two years in Belgium, never came to see the game. That says it all. Not even a phone accept it. I play champion Belgium, the Champions League, I expect interest and nothing. Though makes the team did not come, I do not know what to do. Players even ask me why not invite me. But coach and decisions and through and each one has cast his favorite. Always my heart was with the team. I will always want her to win. It's my dream to play in the World Cup. If the team would like me would not think twice, but it not the case. When you love someone, but the other side look down on you .... what can I say. "

So it looks like Israel was his first choice.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=iw&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.sport5.co.il/HTML/Articles/Article.3075.201845.html&edit-text=&act=url

Namdynamo and Tactical Hipster repped this.
  3. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would love to see him on board but he'd be wise to wait a couple months to file that permanent switch. He can probably hold off on it til February or maybe even early March and still be good for our qualifiers. It'd be kinda dumb to do it now when it's not needed and you're angry. Granted the timing could also just be a wink and nudge to Israel. I guess we'll find it out in a month or 2

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was trying to remember who else pulled a "if you don't tell me you love me, I'm going to join the States" and then got capped by his "first love."

Isaac Brizuela
    Tyler Boyd

Any other recent ones?

5. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darren Randolph gave an interview a couple years ago pointing out he could play for the United States, and then started getting Ireland call ups pretty quickly afterwards.

russ, Gacm32, Mario Balotelli and 2 others repped this.
  6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Anyone know if Kenny did military service in Israel?

7. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    This would be sick for the olypim
    I'm no DMN but I'm pretty sure there was an Australian kid, but I could just be thinking of Tyler Boyd. But I think this kid plays in England now.

Inversely though, players try to do this to the USMNT all the time. Like the Finlay being Canadian thing, and Matt Hedges being Canadian thing. Juergen only falls for the Mexican and the Europeans though. Like retrospectively, did we really think Ventura Alvarado would get a Mexico cap?

8. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kenny is Druze, which exempts him from mandatory IDF service IIRC.

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I'm finding info that states the opposite:

The Israeli Druze community is the only major non-Jewish group in the state whose sons are required to serve in the IDF.
    http://www.jcpa.org/jl/vp464.htm

Druze and Circassian men are subject to mandatory conscription to the IDF.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDF_Sword_Battalion

Reda Mansour a Druze poet, historian and diplomat, explained: "We are the only non-Jewish minority that is drafted into the military, and we have an even higher percentage in the combat units and as officers than the Jewish members themselves. So we are considered a very nationalistic, patriotic community."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druze_in_Israel#Military_service_and_public_office

naopon repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he didn't, reports seem to indicate Israel will never cap him. It's 3 years in length, but it sounds like pro athletes can work it around their schedules. He was in Israel until age 20 (though he also spent time in Germany), so he may have gotten most of it out of the way, but that's speculation on my part.

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I know sometimes Israeli celebrities manage to get out of doing military service, like Bar Rafaeli for example, although it's quite frowned upon by much of Israeli society. But are there cases of athletes evading it and then being shunned by the national sports programs for it?

Anyway, maybe @bshredder can ask Saief about this issue when he talks with him again.

12. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
  13. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Why do you want to know? Does it matter?

14. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Because there is some speculation that it might have some bearing on Israel calling him up to the full team.

15. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    #140 keller4president, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    I doubt the Israeli national team cares whether he served in their army or not. Other Israeli national team players like Roberto Colautti, Toto Tammuz, and Gai Assulin never served in the IDF (to my understanding). Ben Sahar only had to do "nominal" service, showing up at a base while on vacation in Israel (see his Wiki page). There are a lot of non-jews who have played for the national team - Bibras Natkho, Beram Kayal, Moanes Dabour, Walid Badir, Abbas Suan, etc.

russ and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  16. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Starts vs St Truiden

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Gacm32 and BostonRed repped this.
  18. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Does anyone have a line on OPTA stats for the Jupiler league?

19. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Good question. It would also be nice to get an opinion on him from someone who regularly follows the Belgian league.

Maybe @Belgian guy could provide some perspective?

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench for today's cup match:
    [​IMG]

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Number 77 for Mechelen is NOT going to be ignored, Dan!