Kenny Saief at Maccabi Haifa

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Testudo, Apr 5, 2014.

1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming Nagbe is added after the group stages and Pulisic is never going to happen, there really weren't many options from the 40 player roster to choose from besides Tommy Mac & Pontius to replace Saief

I would have gone with Mac, but it really isn't a big deal. Pontius has at least been with the team in 2017 under Bruce. He's not going to play much and the US doesn't have much competition in the group stage.

MIDFIELDERS (15): Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana/MEX), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana/MEX), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire), Tommy McNamara (New York City FC), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Chris Pontius (Philadelphia Union), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC), Kelyn Rowe (New England Revolution), Kenny Saief (Gent/BEL), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and BostonRed repped this.
  3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, why doesnt this shock me? We have some of the worst luck.

soccerusa517, Winoman and Gacm32 repped this.
  4. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad luck is an ACL. He'll be fine

I think Kenny will be with the USMNT again in November for friendlies - if the US qualifies in October

5. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at a bar in Ghent last week talking to a few season ticket holders and asked them about Kenny. All of them were very complimentary of him -- "Great player", "Hard worker, with nice skill", "Great character for the team", etc.

I was also in Brugge and asked about Horvath and they were excited about his potential and were looking forward to seeing how he develops this season. One of the Club Brugge fans mentioned that they brought in another talented, young keeper and that it would be a tough competition for the starting spot.

BTW -- I've travelled all over the world and Ghent is easily in my top 3 cities. Beautiful city, great people, delicious food, and amazing beer.

6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

My multi-lingual brother lived in Belgium many years ago. For him the difference between Belgian food and French food boiled down to "Belgian food is just as good, you pay a bit less for a bit more, and if you ask for a beer, the waiter won't sneer at you like you're a dog dropping on his shoe."

Bruges/Brugge and Ghent are incredibly beautiful. If you're in the region, make a detour and go there

7. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've camped in both places, and agree with you both, wholeheartedly!

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gent tied SCR Altach 1-1 at home (disappointing) in Europa League qualifying.

Kenny did not play (obviously).

LouisZ repped this.
  9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was he operated? when is he expected back?

10. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  11. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #536 bshredder, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Suffers an infection after hernia surgery. The infection is not under control yet and is in his stomach.

His return is delayed indefinitely with this report saying "it'll take several more months".

Aside from soccer, this sounds pretty scary. Hope he gets well soon.

12. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That....isn't good.
    Less worried about his nats future than his future,period.

ChuckMe92, bshredder and Winoman repped this.
  13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it got from his skin wound into his peritoneal cavity (the inside of the abdomen), an infection like that could be lethal, especially if it is a strep infection. It can get really bad really quickly.

bshredder repped this.
  14. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. All the best to Kenny. Suddenly this thread title seems slightly inappropriate.

UnitedBorn, ChuckMe92, Dervos and 4 others repped this.
  15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes it really sucks to be right. We are all pulling for you Kenny. Get well soon, for yourself and your family.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  16. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    In all seriousness, where was his initial surgery done? What causes complications after a hernia surgery and how common is it to develop them?

18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any news? Still only 23

19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The only news I'm looking for is that he's still alive. Seriously.

The wife is a paediatrician and knows a shedload of surgeons. This stuff is very serious in the best of circumstances, but with the spread of antibiotic-resistant superbugs, he could die or be left so drained by the body's efforts to fight off the infection that he will struggle for the energy to hold down a 9-5 office job for some years. Losing 15 kilos in a few weeks while spending 2-3 months hooked to a ventilator (which is what can happen with these new bugs) will do that to you.

I may be very off-base here - God I hope so - but this is really major.

russ and Starman* repped this.
  20. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, last report I saw was mid August and he was said to be out at least 2 months with an abdomen infection.

21. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Good news: here's a video of him competing against Renato Neto in soccer trivia for a Gent promo (?) from early October. Kenny's portion begins around the 8min mark. The training shots in the section before are quick cuts, but I thought I spotted him running through drills a few times. At the very least, he's out of the hospital bed.

edit: yeah, you can see a clear shot of him around 4:09, he's running stairs and agility with the team, so he's got to be somewhat close to match ready.

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Never have I been so glad to be wrong. A very sincere and deep thank you.

Now, for the next item on my To-Do List
    [​IMG]

KicksNgiggles, DeCoverley and Winoman repped this.
  23. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    #548 zlatan_but_a_car, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    No problem! I had similar concerns when I heard the news - surgical infections are no joking matter.

It feels like there's been significant news on his recovery that we're not hearing stateside, simply because no one covers Juliper Pro. Based on a quick Twitter search, he's still listed as injured and there's no estimated recovery time, but he is sprinting and doing agility workouts with the team, so he's out of the woods and on the road to full recovery.

edit: can anyone take a crack at translating this image from Gent's official twitter?[​IMG]

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  24. isengrim

isengrim Member

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Sep 17, 2017
    Kenny saief (pubalgie) ook kenny werkt deels individueel en deels met de groep. Volop bezig met het inhalen van zijn conditionele achterstand
    Kenny Saief (pubalgia - don't know if this is the correct english term)
    Kenny is partly working individually and partly with the group. He is working on improving his fitness level.

25. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Thank you! All things considered, that's good news.