Kenny Saief at Maccabi Haifa

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Testudo, Apr 5, 2014.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    sakibomb523, Winoman, edcrocker and 3 others repped this.
  3. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Well that goal did not suck.

5. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today was the first time I saw him in domestic play after watching all of their European matches and he usually doesn't disappoint. I genuinely hope Bruce considers him because he'd probably be our best LB/LWB aside from Villafana.

Gacm32, ChuckMe92 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how is it that Israel hasn't cap tied him by now?

m vann repped this.
  7. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    I think he's said he wants to play for the US and he's probably holding out hope for a call up.

Gacm32 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's that he wasn't called in for a couple of cap tying matches & let the FA know he wasn't happy. He started waving the U.S. option & seems to have burned that bridge with Israel.

Gacm32 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't think Israel has ever called a Druze to their NT. Mahran Lala, for example, had a solid career in the Israeli Premier, but was never called to play for their NT in a game that mattered.

Gacm32 repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    for those of us whose not really sure about these things?

would Israel really keep him from playing for them if he would be a advantage?

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Not really, they've always been fine with the Druzes. If anything, the Druzes have historical reasons to hold a grudge against local Muslims.

I was just noting he'd be the first Druze to play for them.

12. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    On the USA's Gold Cup 40-man roster

13. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great to see, I've ignored him quite a bit assuming he was lost. Looks like I'll have to start paying more attention to him

I wonder if he's filed the switch

ChuckMe92, Sup Bro and Gacm32 repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChuckMe92 and Gacm32 repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Not that it's so crazy, but I still have to confess I didn't see it coming from Arena. Press release:

MIDFIELDERS (15): Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana/MEX), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana/MEX), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire), Tommy McNamara (New York City FC), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Chris Pontius (Philadelphia Union), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC), Kelyn Rowe (New England Revolution), Kenny Saief (Gent/BEL), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)​

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...yer-preliminary-2017-concacaf-gold-cup-roster

16. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holden just said that US soccer told him that the switch has been filed. He's ours

17. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016

Filed. He's a US National Team player now.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll be the rare player who comes into the US with friendly caps from another national team. Castillo and Jones are two who did. Any others in the "one time switch" era?

Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  19. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy it happened, but I really didn't think Arena would be in contact with him at all

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  20. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There really was a myth that Arena didn't care for dual nationals

His quotes were take out of context. His past always showed that he was willing to play them.

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Losing coaches get fired, not-winning coaches get expired contracts, but winning coaches get their contracts extended. Arena wants to reach Russia and go out on a high, so he'll call up the best players available to him and, unless he has a beef with a player so intense that it'll undermine his authority, he'll then select the players who can get the MNT to the World Cup.

Stating, perhaps inelegantly, that the USA should be in charge of its own player development and not relying on other countries' systems to refine an unpredictable and declining supply of dual nationals is not incompatible with that. It's simply stating the obvious.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his hesitancy would be less about his previous comments and more about the comments made earlier by Tim Howard. Even if Howard was off-base, bringing in a player who has barely lived in the US has the potential to trigger some resentment. I think that's why Arena was really careful about inviting him in (plus you don't want to encourage a player to switch and then not call him in).

23. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I wonder if this is getting much attention in the Israeli sports press. Perhaps @MHaifa1913 could fill us in?

24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I very excited to see Kenny! I seriously thought it was a pipe dream he would rep the US. I thought it was a lost cause. Since that one time switch has been filed I think it's safe to assume he will be on that gold cup roster.

25. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this article is any indication, the news doesn't seem to be particularly well received by the Israeli federation.

Via Google Translate:
    In addition, about two weeks ago, Saief conceded a call up to the Israeli team claiming injury. The timing was problematic after Saief claimed he was injured despite a summons from Elisha Levy, a day after he finished 90 minutes against Club Bruges.

The Israeli team responded angrily to the news: "He told us he was wounded, he lied." A source in the association said: "There were so many chances to let him play and he deserved it."

Saief's agent, Dudu Dahan , said in response: "In the past month, the technical team of the Football Association in the United States has contacted Kenny Saief, and the talks were good and full of warmth, respect and appreciation. Kenny is now considered the best left wing player in the Belgian league, unrivaled, he is more than happy to play in the team that he wants and wants him, as we all prefer to be in a place where we are valued and desirable.

http://www.sport5.co.il/articles.aspx?FolderID=285&docID=243774&lang=HE