Oh Mane, Mane! - Good Luck and Thanks for the Memories!

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Jun 28, 2016.

1. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #77 zaqualung, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019

Who cares? I couldn't give a toss what happens with Senegal's football team ...

2. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember seeing Mane in that game vs. Southhampton where he was playing us off the park.

I remember thinking "this guy is super fast for how big he is" For some reason I thought he was like 6'0. It must have been the way he just kept winning headers against us. He still shows that, in how he keeps scoring headers or standing strong to his marker.

As much as I would be thrilled to meet anyone from our team, I think the person I'd like to congratulate most is Mane. The guy has this humble charm to him I can't help but respect.

newterp repped this.
  3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Mane volunteers at a mosque in Liverpool. He cleans the toilets.

(I am serious.)

4. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Mane. I was against his signing for that fee and if nothing else that alone should prove I don't really know what I'm talking about.

What a player.

6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He had looked good to me in the way that Wilfrid Zaha looks good. Which is to say very very good, but I don't think I expected him to turn out to be one of the 5 or 6 best deep-lying attackers in the world.....

phenomenal player..... only hazard could be said to have been maybe better in the Prem last year......

7. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Mane does a lot more work without the ball than Hazard?

EruditeHobo repped this.
  8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree. And more than Messi. But I wouldn't want to say that makes him better than Messi.....

Eric Cantona wasn't exactly a Stakhanovite without the ball, but he was still th ebest player in th epremiership for a couple of years.....

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    "Stakhanovite"? LMAO give me a break :)

is it just me or do other have the impression that zaq constantly tries too hard to sound intelligent?

I saw a headline today about "pseudo-profound nonsense". zaq came to mind immediately.

PS Cantona is a 100% gobshite Manc unworthy of praise by any LFC supporter.

10. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This quote should come in handy in the VAR thread... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #87 zaqualung, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    what kind of moronic comment is that? Stakhanovite isn't a particularly obscurantist term. I know it for easy reference because I know it. We learned of it in honours history in Irish High School in the 80's, ffs. And there were a damn sight of culturally significant things that weren't even remotely touched on that we didnt learn but if mentioned now no-one would bat an eyelid. Why do I recall it for such easy use when it comes from outside the Anglo-Centric history that most people generally remember? Well, because everyone has two or three subjects that they are expert or semi-expert or at least highly knowledgable on. Delaynomo with Golf, for example, and Hobo with VAR. There's a biological scientist researcher on here, and a bunch of experts about all sorts of stuff. One of my fields of amateur expertise happens to be Russia and Soviet history/sociology. Anyone with anything more than a passing interest in 20th Century Russia or the USSR will likely know the term Stakhanovite. It's passed into the common lexicon of that kind of study field, like SMERSH and Zil and NKVD and Dzerzhinsky Square and dozens and dozens of others. It is, furthermore, although you won;t have bothered to notice this, an exemplary way of illustrating the point about Cantona.

get off your high horse, you plonker.

12. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

anyway - you might try actually reading what I was responding to if you don't think the term was aptly inserted....
    slowly now ... focus on the bold part ....

13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Sadio Mane:

“Why would I want 10 Ferraris,20 watches or 2 planes? I survived hard times,played football bare-footed,did not have an education.But today I can help my people build schools,stadiums and buy clothes & food. I prefer my people receive some of what life has given me.”

14. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If only more were like him...

jeffcoop, canucksh and EruditeHobo repped this.
  15. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The great and venerable and most honourable Donald J. Trump is working hard to create a fairer and more equitable world where many more people think like this.
    God be praised.....

16. soccershaggy

soccershaggy Member+

May 18, 2003
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Let's keep politics out of the soccer threads please.

StiltonFC repped this.
  17. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm fine with that EXCEPT for the fact that the paragraph I was responding to has little to do with soccer (other than that Sadio Mane plays soccer - wow, there's some news for the board...) and much more to do with politics....
    .... so therefore I'm not sure why a sarcastic aside about someone with a mentality the "opposite of Mane" is not an allowable response.

"“Why would I want 10 Ferraris,20 watches or 2 planes? I survived hard times,played football bare-footed,did not have an education.But today I can help my people build schools,stadiums and buy clothes & food. I prefer my people receive some of what life has given me.” "

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  19. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    For non-LFC fans and pundits alike, I think the secret's out. In all seriousness, after finishing 4th in the Balon d'Or I think the wider public are now aware how good Sadio Mané is. I think a reasonable case could be made that since last season and the first 3rd of this season, he's better/more important than Salah and Firmino and along with Fabinho and VVD is the first name on the team sheet.

Suss, omaro and newterp repped this.
  20. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Whatever we paid Southampton was a steal.

omaro repped this.
  21. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair it was pre neymar inflation. That said mane wasn’t fancied by a lot of people anyway - so I’m glad our scouts disagreed.

22. undulation

undulation New Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Superior scouting, among other things

23. omaro

omaro Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Saudi Arabia
    agreed with every single word above

24. omaro

omaro Member

Nov 16, 2019