Oh Danny Boy, the goals the goals are calling

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by liverbird, Jun 8, 2015.

1. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    poopoobigelow and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Danny Ings isn’t the world-beater signing Liverpool fans would have looked for in this summer’s transfer window but his statistics still prove he had a better season than every Reds striker throughout 2014/15.

One can argue that Mario Balotelli and Daniel Sturridge played significantly less games but it’s not a good sign when a relegated club’s striker trumps a Europa League-qualifying team’s forward line in stats.

It can also be argued that Raheem Sterling is not an out and out striker but he was tasked to play there quite a lot this year.

On the other side of the coin, perhaps it is just a sign of what Ings could do with a team that’s a little more dangerous in the final third and contains a higher degree of midfield talent to play alongside.

We shall see if the 22-year-old is able to step up to the level demanded at the opposite end of the table but at least he’s bringing some impressive stats to Merseyside.

[The table in the article shows that Ings converted 15% of his chances, better than Studge and Lambert at 13% and WAY better than Balotelli's miserable 3%]

http://www.punditarena.com/football...han-every-liverpool-striker-in-201415-season/

3. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look I have been following reaction to this today. I truly don't think Ings is our lead acquisition from the window. So far, with three weeks to go before the window opens, we have added Milner and Ings for a total of about £5 million in transfer fees plus salary. One scored more goals for a relegated side than any of our current strikers did for LFC last year and the other played 36 games for a top four team.

I just don't ********ing get it. Now if it turns out that we buy no one else then maybe people should be angry but I am sure that's not the case. If we add Kovacic, Clyne, and another striker I'd be happy. Add a good center half to that and I am over the moon.

Since when do we sound like that bitter lot across the park?

4. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I expect Ings to be a useful signing, early doors and we are doing some pretty good business in Milner and this lad. Obviously a lot of work to be done this summer, but not a bad start imo.
    I think people are frustrated in general after the way the season ended, the Sterling saga, etc, and are looking for some way to vent. Ings is just the current target.

Twenty26Six repped this.
  5. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is supporters moaning like this that is truly midtable

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    sometimes "supporters" act like spoiled kids -- "welcome to LFC, Danny - btw we think you're crap." :rolleyes:

anyhoo - I think milner and ings could prove to be very shrewd signings.

both are prem-proven.

milner has tons of experience - club, international and CL.

Ings could be a big step up for our striker options off the bench.

(god, I hope I'm right ......)

7. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well we'll see with Ings,Sam. He seems a decent enough young player but I read this tweet from Rory Smith earlier this morning.

Like Ings + think he's a good signing, but have a genuine question. In that Burnley team, how would Borini have done? Better, worse or same?

8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    no idea what that's meant to say speke. seems a bit of a pointless comment tbh. answer: how can anyone know?

how about: in that Liverpool team, would Ings have done better, worse or same as Borini?

poopoobigelow, USvsIRELAND and liverbird repped this.
  9. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I take it as is Ings really any better than a player we already have ie Borini?

When we signed Borini he was also a decent young player on the cusp of making the Italian NT. Are we just shuffling deck chairs around?
    Ings will likely be a decent squad player, we already have Origi who will probably fill the same role too.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  10. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    liverbird repped this.
  11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Can anyone give a quick breakdown of Danny Ings?

It appears to me that he has a bit of pace to him and he's also strong, plays bigger than he is.

As to the Borini comparison, Borini alwasy struck me as slow and weak.

As far as Origi goes, due to his pace I can see him being used on the wing alot.

12. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If we can sell Borini for more than what we paid for Ings (I've heard 5M), then it's a success. Price last summer for Borini was 12M IIRC. Would assume we could get at least 8M to 9M.

13. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ings has good not great pace, he has good movement, and is able to score goals. His shooting is accurate. He will track back and help defend. He is best playing off a lead striker. He is better than Borini. Also he is durable. And hard working.

14. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Let's see...he "knows where the goal is" that is a plus...he is durable...that is a plus...hard working...plus!

"inexpensive", young, "English"...plus, plus, plus...

Sounds pretty good to me...Welcome to the Reds DannIngs!

15. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I will support you when you wear the Red. I will cheer when you score those (what I hope to be many) goals in front of the Kop.

But my question to the management and the committee is this: is he better than what we already have?

16. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Hopefully he can get even halfway to the heights of these two! ;) What would social media have thought of Liverpool signing these two players from lower clubs?

http://www.espnfc.com.au/club/liver...83160/danny-ings-not-the-answer-for-liverpool

poopoobigelow repped this.
  17. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    don't know too much about him but like i said before he seems to have a calmness in front of goal that borini just doesn't have. i love outside-of-the-boot finishes!

18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    all great strikers have that, the certainty that "I'm gonna nail this". I know Owen stirs up emotions, but at his peak he was like ice in front of goal. same with God, Rushie, Kenny, Henry, Aguero, etc etc. great to see.

19. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Wee Mikie was a killer for us.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  20. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He can't be any worse than the other 22 year old we signed a few years ago. He may yet surprise a few people who chuckling at our ambitions.

21. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Reading a few articles on him and burnley fans' opinions, it seems like he's the opposite of sterling in terms of attitude. Low maintenence, team-first, down-to-earth kid who loves to play hard, then hang out at the local after training. Just loves to play the game.

22. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Ings? Is he an upgrade on "Rickie Lambert"(say his name with an accent)
    ...I do recall Lambert being useful for the saints yet he couldn't fit into our system

Will Ings fit in to our style ( or proposed style as last season in some games we lacked everything) ... and does that equate to bye bye Borini And arrivederci Ricky Lambert to Bournemouth

23. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    r
    Ing is the latest in a growing list of backup strikers we've signed during Rodger's era.

Borini(10m), Aspas (7m),Lambert (4m) , Balotelli (16m),Origi(10m).

That's close to 50m spent on strikers ,not counting Ing's fee, and none of them have played very much or at all in Origi's case.

It's so frustrating to me to see that much cash spent on players who were not able to contribute . Why can't we just spend what it takes on at least one quality striker good enough to step right into the squad and able to play next to Sturridge or alone up front.

Its all well and good signing another backup in Ings but I think our priority must be to go for better quality that he offers.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  24. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we were sniffing out Ings during the Jan transfer window, I remember reading about his movement and dribbling ability, and how he'd fit well into Buck's system that requires mobile forwards.

I'm pretty excited about him. He was more or less the reason Burnley got promoted, then bagged double digit goals for relegation fodder as a 21-year old. We all want and expect a marquee signing, but for the fee we'll end up paying for him, he should prove pretty valuable - we have a lot of games next year with Europa League and who knows when Sturridge will be ready to play.

I like this signing. As stated up thread, cool in front of goal and he can score in lots of different ways.

25. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    You're correct Speke, the problem is in the starting XI and not with the backup strikers...assuming Balo is first choice ( if he is still on our books) without sturridge in the frame and Origi/Ings as backups...personally I doubt any of the strikers are first choice when Sturridge is out