Oguchi Onyewu has retired from professional soccer

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Sep 17, 2018.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Oguchi Onyewu has retired from professional soccer.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2018/0...ces-retirement/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

His career can be divided into two phases. The first phase from 2004 to 2009 is characterized by physically dominant defending, steady dominance at Standard Liege, and status as a lock in the US starting XI under Arena and Bradley. His successful displays and the near-triumph at the 2009 Confederations Cup helped earn him a free transfer to AC Milan in the summer of 2009.

The second half of his career was wrecked by the unfortunate knee injury in a US match in October 2009. Having AC Milan on his CV helped Onyewu find opportunities to an impressive degree IMO in the 2010s, but his career was never the same. He started the 2010 World Cup for Bob Bradley, but Bradley phased Onyewu out after the second match. IMO, Onyewu's CV and aversion to MLS endeared him to Klinsmann, but the damage from the injury prevented him from regaining the form necessary to lock down a spot with the US again.

The timing of his injury before the 2010 World Cup has unfortunately caused Onyewu to fall into relative obscurity in recent years, but congrats on a great career!

jnielsen, manq360, olephill2 and 7 others repped this.
  2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Legendary moment.

[​IMG]

Thanks, Gooch, it was a blast cheering for you.

3. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I feel bad that my first reaction was astonishment that he didn’t retire 4 years ago.

eric_appleby, sXeWesley, Bajoro and 6 others repped this.
  4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Thanks Gooch for everything! Him and Demerit in 2010 was pretty fun to watch. Beasts.

5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well put. Even before his injury, the move to AC Milan was questionable, but it would have been great to see him try and make it there, even if he was unlikely to play a large role. Sadly his injury robbed any real chance at playing there.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was devastating to see his knee injury which derailed his career. But he was a warrior and championed through it. Moreover, he was an absolute beast on the back line and always felt safe when it came to aerial challenges in the box.

chad repped this.
  7. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe our best of all time if you just take a cursory glance at his resume. :p

8. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Gooch. Part of the best era.

[​IMG]

wsmaugham, um_chili, ShortyMac and 9 others repped this.
  9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy that we thought that generation was just the start and turns out that was our golden generation.

wsmaugham, CMeszt, eric_appleby and 2 others repped this.
  10. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Gooch!

11. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Did we ever figure out if he was limping at any point post knee injury? ;)

Anyways, he is right up there with Boca and Pope when I think about guys we could always rely on in the back.

Winoman and TheRightPants repped this.
  12. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Member

Jun 18, 2002
    ATX
    I’ve never seen this photo before. I love it

chad repped this.
  13. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    And by all accounts a fine human being as well. Congrats on a great career, Gooch! Some people you know will be just fine in retirement. He's one of 'em.

14. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not only crazy, but sad. While we celebrate those players we have to ask ourselves what happen. I would like to think that during and after these players, we were rebuilding our core. However...not to bring all of our woes down on MB and BB...this was the start of playing the same players over and over and being somewhat satisfied; therefore, not really giving other players a chance. No, no...I can't name anyone specifically...but I do know that by using MB, a mediocre player, we settled.

15. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Congratulations to Gooch on a great career. I hope he gets into announcing.

A cool thing about Gooch is that at Liege, they would occasionally move him to forward late in matches, if they were behind. He scored 6 goals for them in all competitions in 08-09.

Also, hi-lites from his Wikipedia page:

The move to Liège was made permanent for the 2004–05 season. After the season, he was named to the Belgian league's Best XI as well as Foreign Player of the Year for 2005.

He made his 100th Belgian First Division appearance for Standard Liège on March 14, 2008, against Germinal Beerschot, and was an integral part of the club as they went on a 29-match unbeaten streak to win the 2007–08 Belgian First Division. After the season, he was named to the Belgian league Best XI for the second time

16. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Besides Landon, Beaz, and Gooch, who are they?

17. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Bajoro, RalleeMonkey and Winoman repped this.
  18. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
  19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I miss him and DeMerit as CB with Boca as LB and Cherundolo in the RB role

The 08-10 defensive line was pretty solid.

jessyca and Winoman repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That's a WILD photo.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He achieved some relative success in the Belgian league. I believe 3 titles and named in the Best XI a few times.

I think his injuries came at the worst inopportune times. As well as picking the wrong league for him. I imagine he'd have excelled in Serie A (if he'd picked any other club) or Ligue 1.

Sucks that he never got a fair shot with Malaga. Always on the bench for their league games.

RalleeMonkey and FC Tallavana repped this.
  23. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Honestly thought this was a thread bump when I saw the title. I’d assumed he retired years ago. Good player before the injuries.

striker and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    That unfortunate knee injury during qualifying in 2009 sure changed a lot of trajectories, both his own and the team's. Ouch. He was one of my favorite players of his era.

schrutebuck, Winoman, Bajoro and 2 others repped this.
  25. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, both he and Charlie Davies going down before the 2010 WC REALLY hurt us badly. That cannot be overstated.

But Onyewu seems to have landed on his feet. He was in the studio for the UCL games yesterday, alongside Bocanegra. So it looks like he is going to be given a fair opportunity in television. He is telegenic, so hopefully he can catch on and develop his speaking skills to the point where he makes a go of this.

WrmBrnr, schrutebuck, Winoman and 3 others repped this.