Pre-match: OG United vs. Minnesota Loons, 9/12, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by pr0ner, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should Benny consider starting Mattocks as the front runner against the Heifers? It would permit Rooney and Acosta to do what they do best, create, rather than being counted on to score the goals themselves.

2. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. I don't think sitting one of the Canouse/Moreno pair is worth it to get Mattocks into the starting lineup.

ejs1111 and griffin1108 repped this.
  3. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I would agree. We're getting enough offense most nights from the current formation with Rooney leading the line. Our back line still needs the help. Not to mention, putting Mattocks on the field necessitates Rooney falling back into the midfield which Everton saw last year killed his productivity and reduces creativity in attack. Not to mention he'll need to cover even more ground in the midfield than up top. I was cynical, but getting Rooney settled with the team has been like that point in Bull Durham where Nuke starts listening to Crash. The team is playing some beautiful ball and they're winning most of the games they should win.

There were 2-3 interactions between Rooney and Lucho last night that were like nothing I've seen from this team prior to Rooney coming over. Mattocks is having a fine season, but he's only a finisher. Rooney (4) will probably not catching Mattocks' (10) tally, even if he gets himself a multi-goal game or two. However, Rooney, in significantly less time than Mattocks has had his hand in 10 total goals. Mattocks has no assists and frankly I can only recall one goal this year where he had to beat more than the goal keeper to score.

I think many of us were skeptical that Rooney would bring the quality and be able to keep up with the MLS game and he's proven us wrong so far. I think there has to be at least a similar number who viewed Mattocks as guy who may or may not have had the kind of season he is having, but I'd venture a guess that most of us would be dubious about him repeating it. We all surely would have to pick Rooney over Mattocks to replicate the current form next year.

The current formation and personnel are working. I don't think we should meddle with the front 5. I'd like to see Durkin continue to get minutes and either force his way into the lineup or earn a move that worth some real money.

4. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I worked at NRL for a few years. I don't remember the smell. I do remember the water treatment plant and burnt out cars on the main road in.

James

5. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As to the subs. I find it interesting in the 4+ years prior to Rooney our sub strategy was incoherent at best. Now with Rooney we are making the right subs at the right times in games. Maybe Olsen suddenly had his eureka moment or maybe Chad was handling these type of decisions and now it is a conversation with Rooney. Ben brings up Chad's sub plan to Rooney in a casual conversation and Rooney tells Ben that it is ********ing garbage and Ben then asks Rooney what to do and Rooney gives him guidance.

James

6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having Mattocks and Rooney on the field together wouldn't/shouldn't push Rooney back to midfield (although that's where he was for much of the last two matches), but we would have to give up a DM or play with three in the back. One possible solution is to have Arriola play a hybrid RB/RM, while keeping Canouse and Moreno in the lineup. The Lucho/Rooney combination is exciting, but in a tight game (like our last two) Rooney has to go back and help out and it would be nice to have a Mattocks up high to keep the opposition from pushing too many players forward.

Winoman repped this.
  7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It depends on what decade you worked there. I remember smells from Blue Plains in the 70's but by the time the 80's came around it was a thing of the past.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Remember this weekend DCU gets Stieber and Moreno back and maybe Asad will be able to go for a few minutes as well. Olsen pushed all his chips in last night with the Mattocks sub, it worked and I said so earlier in this thread -- Olsen made the gutsy but absolutely correct call at that point. The team on the field wasn't going to stretch the Loons out and Segura just doesn't provide the width that even Stieber can provide. With Moreno paired with Canouse and Stieber on the wing with Segura as backup depending on the tactical situation, there is no need to start Mattocks. Depending on the situation, he is either a 30 minute or 10 minute sub. I hope it's 10 minutes because that means DCU is leading and Mattocks is there to poach a goal on a team pressing upfield for a score.

dadman, ejs1111 and Eastern Bear repped this.
  9. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't believe Mattocks is a starter on this team with a single striker formation. That position requires someone who can hold and distribute the ball. Mattocks actually held the ball well a couple of times last night, but I believe that's because he was fresh and the defense was tired. If we went to a genuine two striker set up I would start him. As was mentioned in an earlier post. Everybody passes to Rooney (because they know he will bail them out). We saw the same things from Etcheverry, Moreno, and Gomez back in the day.

dadman, Winoman and Kempa repped this.
  10. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Here's one reference from the 90's which was virtually yesterday over the time frame from 79 to 2014 when we interacted regularly. The practice of dumping untreated sewage into the Potomac when heavy rains overloaded the system. We used to discuss the "odor index" in conference calls before deciding where we would meet. Crystal City and Clarendon were obvious favorites despite the natural aversion the civil servants had for pay parking
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...594-b6e7-fa2044492d0b/?utm_term=.fd7a8218c31c
    https://wtop.com/dc/2017/07/heavy-rain-raw-sewage-potomac-anacostia-rivers-likely/

11. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The 90's reference has to do with making compost from sludge at Blue Plains not dumping sewage into the Potomac. Overflows during heavy rains do continue on the Anacostia and this is what the tunnels under construction are to prevent.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Never stop.

Thx,

Jay!

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Some of the tunneling is actually operational now.

14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

dadman repped this.
  15. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    One definition of a good team is that it wins when not playing it's best. By that definition we're getting to be a good team. And let's not foget that we completely dominated the first half and with one goal would probably broken it wide open.

I had a work meeting im Charlottesville yesterday and in late afternoon near Warrenton passed a car with plates something like Black and Red driven by someone clearly game bound. Anyone we know?

asitis repped this.
  16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Couple of different subjects there, one dealt with the smell at NRL. I'm not as interested in where the smell came from as some seem to be but dig in (pun intended) there were plenty of references of sewage dumping into the Poromac from both sides of the river available.

17. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Over here in Alexandria we are paying for the construction of shit tunnels to prevent discharge of same into the Potomac at Oronoco Bay. When my wife lived in New Guinea, the villagers threw all their garbage and shit of the cliff into the ocean. When she asked them if that made sense putting garbage into the ocean, they just laughed and said the ocean was huge. I think shitting the nest is hardwired into the human brain.

18. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    And that was I and my little grey Honda: BLK&RED. And the world just shrunk again.

asitis

19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    No question about it.

20. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The first half was the worst soccer I have seen in a long time. Both teams sucked and so did the ref. Not "major league" I any sense of the word.

Winoman repped this.